Question about backpacks

Spend the extra $ and get the dji. Everything needed fits perfectly and is snug in the case you can walk run jog and there is no worries anything will move. I have a dji and I love it

I need the extra room, so going to try the Fearless. Already planning on modding it some with a knife where needed. Foam can be cut.

I sent my Fearless backpack packing, back to the vendor. It was defective apparently, my P3 wouldn't fit in the insert. The landing gear wouldn't fit. The Strong Arm brackets wouldn't fit either. I'm waiting for confirmation from the vendor the insert was defective, .5" too narrow to accept the drone landing gear width.
I finally heard back from the Fearless vendor, CopterShop.com. It turns out my backpack was not defective. They said they put a P3 in the backpack no problem. So... this means the landing gear must bend 1/2" to fit into the backpack. The cavity is 6 1/8" wide and the landing gear is 6 5/8" wide. So.... If you have the carbon fiber camera guard installed, it prevents the landing gear from bending, hence it won't fit, being 1/2" too wide to fit. Also, the backpack will not allow the Strong Arm brackets to fit either, it's too tight to fit in the foam insert. This is nothing a sharp knife can't fix in desperation if you really like the Fearless backpack, but it will look like crap, with all kinds of jagged edges. The other key problem is the dimensions of the pack being over the airline carry-on limits. It's quite thick.

Last edited:
Huh. Well mine got delivered today, I'll check it out when I get home. I thought I had read others were able to travel with this backpack. I know it's kinda big.

So, here's the scoop. I don't have any mods on my P3P. Unboxed the backpack and opened it up. Looks like really tough fabric all around, tough zipper, and nice wide straps. It's big, but honestly not as big as I'd feared. I love the pockets and storage space. The phantom dropped right into the foam cutout, the legs did not bend in at all. It seats fully into the cutout and the motor shafts are well below the foam, nicely protected if something were sat on top of the backpack. Batteries and transmitter drop right in, perfect fit.
It is very custom fit for an unmodded Phantom 3. Fits like a glove and not too tight. Feels VERY protected. Lots of room for accessories, very comfortable on your back. Looks to be quality made. The foam is very dense on top and not likely to chip away with use.
That's the good, here's the bad: the zippers are very difficult to open all the way to the back, so it's hard to open the backpack fully. There is a tough fabric flap that completely covers the zipper, helping keep rain out. You have to pull the flap away from the zipper to operate it, not too bad once I did it a few times. The flap is sewn right up to the zipper at the back though, making it impossible to pull away enough to fully unzip it. After messing with it some though, I found you can just pull the top back with a good tug, and the zippers unzip that last 1/2 inch. I think it's tough enough to handle this, we'll see over time. I think it will loosen up with use, and this will get better.
As Mr. Locke mentioned, it will not likely fit a Phantom with gimbal guard or strong arms attached. It's just too custom cut. There is no way I would cut this foam, the top is very dense foam glued to the celluloid type foam below, making it very clean and nice looking. Trying to cut to allow for the mods would really trash it. I suppose you could cut the bottom of the cutout to fit a gimble guard as that would not likely show and is the softer celluloid type foam.

So, for me, it's great. I have no plans to put a guard or strong arms on my P3, so the fit is perfect.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447984860.228335.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447984912.216056.jpg

Last edited:
So, here's the scoop. I don't have any mods on my P3P. Unboxed the backpack and opened it up. Looks like really tough fabric all around, tough zipper, and nice wide straps. It's big, but honestly not as big as I'd feared. I love the pockets and storage space. The phantom dropped right into the foam cutout, the legs did not bend in at all. It seats fully into the cutout and the motor shafts are well below the foam, nicely protected if something were sat on top of the backpack. Batteries and transmitter drop right in, perfect fit.
It is very custom fit for an unmodded Phantom 3. Fits like a glove and not too tight. Feels VERY protected. Lots of room for accessories, very comfortable on your back. Looks to be quality made. The foam is very dense on top and not likely to chip away with use.
That's the good, here's the bad: the zippers are very difficult to open all the way to the back, so it's hard to open the backpack fully. There is a tough fabric flap that completely covers the zipper, helping keep rain out. You have to pull the flap away from the zipper to operate it, not too bad once I did it a few times. The flap is sewn right up to the zipper at the back though, making it impossible to pull away enough to fully unzip it. After messing with it some though, I found you can just pull the top back with a good tug, and the zippers unzip that last 1/2 inch. I think it's tough enough to handle this, we'll see over time. I think it will loosen up with use, and this will get better.
As Mr. Locke mentioned, it will not likely fit a Phantom with gimbal guard or strong arms attached. It's just too custom cut. There is no way I would cut this foam, the top is very dense foam glued to the celluloid type foam below, making it very clean and nice looking. Trying to cut to allow for the mods would really trash it. I suppose you could cut the bottom of the cutout to fit a gimble guard as that would not likely show and is the softer celluloid type foam.

So, for me, it's great. I have no plans to put a guard or strong arms on my P3, so the fit is perfect.

View attachment 36211

View attachment 36212
Would you please measure the cavity width where the landing gear go. Mine measured 6 1/8". I'd like to confirm mine wasn't defective.

You echo my feelings about modifying the foam, it's pretty dense.

Measured it carefully and it's 6 5/16", just a tad over 6 1/4"
Quad legs are actually 6 1/2" apart, so they are pushing together almost 1/4", which is imperceptible.

I wonder if the installation of the camera guard splays out the legs some, seems yours are 1/8" farther apart than mine, not much but added insult to injury since your pack cavity was apparently 1/8" narrower than mine.

I wonder if the installation of the camera guard splays out the legs some, seems yours are 1/8" farther apart than mine, not much but added insult to injury since your pack cavity was apparently 1/8" narrower than mine.
Maybe, because it does fit into the inside grooves of the landing gear. It makes the landing gear really rigid, hence the problem with the backpack.

I cut into the bottom of the foam for gimble hard and around the motors for snap on/off prop guards. Honestly the case needs outside zipper pockets for cables and chargers and such. I wish I just got a foam insert and giant backpack.

The Fearless is roomy, for sure, but it's big, too big for airline carry-on. I sent mine back because of that, and the fact my P3P wouldn't fit inside because I have the carbon fiber camera guard installed. The backpack requires the landing gear to bow in to fit, mine are fixed at 6 5/8" wide because the carbon fiber guard makes them rock solid. The opening was only 6 1/8" wide. It also wouldn't accept my Strong Arm brackets, the insert is cut that close, too snug.

My Chinese Cheapy for $40 works nice, and it's within the carry-on size limit, it's just cheap materials. If someone would use the same insert and use military grade 1000 denier material, and add a couple pockets to the top while not exceeding the 20" height limit, have some first class shoulder straps and a belt strap, that would be perfect IMHO. It seems nobody can put a nice backpack together that's within the 20X14X9" limitations of carry-ons for airlines. I know it's possible, but it appears the backpack manufacturers don't understand the goal.

Last edited:
Hmm John, it appears the perfect backpack you are searching for is a perfect backpack for you, not for everyone else. Not everyone needs a backpack to fit their Phantom with gimbal guard on or fitted with Strong Arm brackets. May be if you know someone who can custom make a backpack to your order, but I am guessing the price will be quite high then.

Hmm John, it appears the perfect backpack you are searching for is a perfect backpack for you, not for everyone else. Not everyone needs a backpack to fit their Phantom with gimbal guard on or fitted with Strong Arm brackets. May be if you know someone who can custom make a backpack to your order, but I am guessing the price will be quite high then.
Funny you mention that because that's exactly what I was thinking. However, if I wait long enough maybe someone will create one that doesn't assume a stock Phantom. It's not that difficult, the designers just aren't setting the right goal to maximize their sales. The Go Professional backpack is very close to what I'm looking for, I think. I'm going to look at those next. It's only slightly outside of the airline size limit for carry-on.

For a hard case I'm currently impressed with the CasePro CP-PHAN3-CO unit, $229 on Amazon. It's the only one I've found that is within the airline carry-on limits. Everyone said it couldn't be done with the P3 stored with props on, but it appears they have done it. Hard cases look more impressive when you do a job, so I need one of those too (currently using Microraptor) but I like to use a backpack when I travel, letting me hike up into the hills, away from civilization to fly.

Last edited:
You guys that use the DJI hardshell backpack, (talking to you, 'poker), I'm assuming you fly using your phone? The thing won't fit a tablet, which is the single reason I don't want it. I don't mind spending the cash for a good bag, but it needs to fit gear. The fearless bag needs mods just to fit the quad, so not going there.
Sorry I never replied back to you in a more timely manner but
I wasn't notified of your response to the thread above. The computer of the forum knows no one by thee monicker, 'Poker'.
Actually the @dji backpack will fit any sized tablet, no matter of how large it may be. The trick to storing your larger screen, is actually hidden under the back/top foam. The foam isn't attached or have any types of adhesive, so you can just pop it right out. I like to keep my iPad Air2 in the same Apple bag it came in, before I place it in the middle of the lid.
Works great, & keeps it protected and safe from getting banged around or from the screen being scratched. ;-)

By the way: The pm messaging system is a good one here, so
I hope others here are utilizing it.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: MasterBlaster
My cheap Chinese case also has the foam top piece not attached to the case top. I glued some elastic straps to the back of the foam to hold extra sets of props, the glued velcro tabs to the foam and the case top to hold it in place. Makes great prop storage for travel. Had to find a strong glue that will stick well to the plastic foam and the nylon case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31