Question about backpacks

Reaction score
The DJI hardshell backpack retails for $149. However, a quick Ebay search shows many similar looking hardshell backpacks for less - some as low as $65 - that appear to be practically the same except a picture of a quad replaces the DJI logo.

Has anyone been able to physically compare the official DJI backpack to these, I assume, knock-offs? Is there a legitimate reason to go ahead and spend the $149???

I haven't - but I have to say my experience is, when it comes to protecting your quad, you generally get what you pay for.... someone might have direct experience - but I would go with the DJI one

Reactions: Fplvert
Many threads on this.

Fwiw....i got a "knockoff" hardshell backpack, and it is identical to the DJI. Search my thread on this, and you shall see.

I bought the genuine @dji branded hard shell back pack.
If you look at them carefully you can notice the differences. Not just a different branded emblem.
The stitching on the knockoff, is far less than adequate, for long term usage. There are other minor cosmetic alterations, which I think make the @dji Brand, a better buy over all, even for double the dollars of any alternatives counterfeit price. YMMV, good luck. ;-)
Anything beats the shipping container box.

RedHotPoker

The old adage of 'you get what you pay for' springs to mind with cheaper alternatives.
I've got the Dji back pack & am very impressed - build quality is excellent imo

The DJI hardshell backpack retails for $149. However, a quick Ebay search shows many similar looking hardshell backpacks for less - some as low as $65 - that appear to be practically the same except a picture of a quad replaces the DJI logo.

Has anyone been able to physically compare the official DJI backpack to these, I assume, knock-offs? Is there a legitimate reason to go ahead and spend the $149???
You'll like having a backpack, it really expands flight possibilities, hiking, biking, airlines, etc. You'll find yourself wanting more storage room for props, wind meter, Marco polo, iPad, Sun shade, wind surfer parabolic reflectors, flash cards, flash adapters, charger, etc. Others have said the DJI hard pack is limited on room. You might want to consider the Fearless Phantom 3 backpack. There's a special now for $139 and they throw in a 64GB flash card and a pair of P3 props. I personally don't like drawing attention to my drone in public carrying something that looks expensive. Using a non descript standard looking backpack helps with that goal.

FEARLESS Engage Backpack for DJI Phantom 3 Series Drones Bundle Deal | CopterShop
FEARLESS Engage Backpack for DJI Phantom 3 Series Drones Bundle Deal

Last edited:
Reactions: gppms
I think at least some of the knockoff packs are the same pack as DJI also sell.
I bought one a while back and it's excellent quality and the details appear to be the same as the DJI pack.

That one is identified as a Cheerwing brand case.
www.cheerwing.com

Definitely Inferior to the @dji model. YMMV ;-)

RedHotPoker

I think it is important to have a case where you can leave the props attached. Much quicker setup and the less you have to take the props on and off the longer the plastic thread will last.

I think it is important to have a case where you can leave the props attached. Much quicker setup and the less you have to take the props on and off the longer the plastic thread will last.

I was thinking the same thing but DJI themselves sell the same bag design wise

This is exactly what I thought too, so I bought the microraptor, which is nice. Storage with props installed has its benefits. However it exceeds the limits for carry on luggage for airline travel, so I bought a cheap backpack, one of those $40 backpacks from China. I intended to use it only while traveling by plane, knowing I would have to install props each time I fly as the tradeoff. After realizing to benefits of a light backpack, even though I have to install and remove props, I have never used my microraptor hard case since. The utility of backpacking and bicycling with my Phantom adds so much more freedom to my flight options, not to mention being over 10lbs lighter for my everyday use. It's simple more convenient IMHO. I have seen a new fabric backpack from microraptor that uses the same insert that allows storage with props installed, however it exceeds the 22x14x9" size limits of airlines. I just purchased a Fearless backpack for my P3P, should arrive next week, it requires prop removal, which is a tradeoff I'm ok with now. The cheap China backpack worked ok for a while, but they won't last for everyday use, cheap material. I've had the shoulder strap break, plus there is no waist belt like the Fearless has.

Last edited:
Reactions: kirk2579
I have the Fearless backpack, and love it, fwiw.

Flown internationally with it, hiked with it, and have absolutely zero complaints.

I needed a backpack that is airline friendly (carry-on) but has enough room for all or most of the accessories I use. I ended up getting the Fearless and I love it, very well made with lots of room, even space for my DBS antenna. Plenty of room for everything, and fits in the overhead bin :)

If you don't need a backpack, that case in your link looks interesting. It's lighter than other hard cases I've seen because it doesn't have the wheels (which I never use on my Microrapter), and it's only slightly over the airline length dimension for carry on (22X14X9"). You can likely get away with it as a carry on. The length is more important than the width imho. It's also cheap, so it's a no brainer to check out. Lets us know how you like it.

I think having a backpack is essential, hiking and biking to unique flight locations. I just ordered the Fearless P3 backpack myself, it looks pretty nice, more durable than my $40 Chinese cheapy backpack that is falling apart.

You'll like having a backpack, it really expands flight possibilities, hiking, biking, airlines, etc. You'll find yourself wanting more storage room for props, wind meter, Marco polo, iPad, Sun shade, wind surfer parabolic reflectors, flash cards, flash adapters, charger, etc. Others have said the DJI hard pack is limited on room. You might want to consider the Fearless Phantom 3 backpack. There's a special now for $139 and they throw in a 64GB flash card and a pair of P3 props. I personally don't like drawing attention to my drone in public carrying something that looks expensive. Using a non descript standard looking backpack helps with that goal.

FEARLESS Engage Backpack for DJI Phantom 3 Series Drones Bundle Deal | CopterShop
FEARLESS Engage Backpack for DJI Phantom 3 Series Drones Bundle Deal

Ive been eyeballing the fearless... is it completely soft or does the frame of the pack have some support/rigidity to it? Coptor fit snugly into it? I saw in another thread there is a $20 off code you can use as well?

I think at least some of the knockoff packs are the same pack as DJI also sell.
I bought one a while back and it's excellent quality and the details appear to be the same as the DJI pack.

I have handled the actual DJI hardshell backpack but not the "knock-offs." But the ones on Ebay look near identical for half the price. Here is the reality: They are ALL (inc. the DJI backpack) made in China. China does not have the patent/copyright laws we do and when anything is popular on their market they replicate it and sell off-brand. There may be a quality difference or may not. But what is sure is that DJI has a purchase order for the packs and is adding their markup because their logo is on the pack. Seems eliminating the middle man might account for the other packs being half-price.

I will say that the authentic DJI pack was nice... but it should NOT cost as much as $149 for what it is.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31