Question about Airspace

Reaction score
My question is there a waiver or a license that allows you to fly within 5 miles of an airport without having to contact the airport or ATC every time you want to fly assuming your not flying in any controlled airspace like A B C E?

Under Part 107, pilots can, after passing the test, obtain their Remote Pilot certificate. This allow pilots to conduct "commercial operations. Under 107, certified pilots are not required to notify airports as long as the airspace is not Controlled. Controlled airspace requires a waiver or authorization that has to be applied for through the faa webpage.

My question is there a waiver or a license that allows you to fly within 5 miles of an airport without having to contact the airport or ATC every time you want to fly assuming your not flying in any controlled airspace like A B C E?

Under Part 107 yes. As a hobby flier (under Part 101) that's a big negative.

Reactions: Falcon900
Thanks for the answers guys looks like I'll have to look into the Part 107 test.

In the area were I live / want to fly my drone there are a lot of small airports / helipads within 5 miles and I've found that it is not easy to find the person in charge of the airfield or helipad.

most airspace that I want to fly in has the following description usually Class B, C Class E1-E6

CLASS E5
Description of the Upper Limit Value AA
Upper Limit Value -9998
Upper Limit Unit of Measure
Code for the Upper Limit
Description of the Lower Limit Value
Lower Limit Value 700
Lower Limit Unit of Measure FT
Code for the Lower Limit SFC
Type Code CLASS
Local Type CLASS_E5
Class E
Military Code CIV
Name of the Communication Outlet
Level of the Airspace L
Sector
Onshore 1
Exclusion Area 0
Work Hour Code H24
Work Hour Remarks
Daylight Saving Time Code
GMT Offset

and

CLASS C
Description of the Upper Limit Value TI
Upper Limit Value 4200
Upper Limit Unit of Measure FT
Code for the Upper Limit MSL
Lower Limit Value 2100
Code for the Lower Limit MSL
Type Code CLASS
Local Type CLASS_C
Class C
Military Code CIV
Level of the Airspace L
Sector
Onshore 1
Exclusion Area 0
Work Hour Code H24
Work Hour Remarks
GMT Offset

Which I believe means that you can fly your done as long as you are under 700 feet right?

You're good on the Class E5 - the lower limit there is 700 ft (higher than the recommended/regulated 400 ft). Same with the Class C - lower limit there 2100 msl - note you need to double check the local elevation since you will be see in AGL height on the app. You don't show the Class B, but as long as you stay out of the sfc portion of the class B you should be ok. Again, not having to notify only applies after you get your Part 107 certification.

In the area's that I want to fly the smaller airports usually aren't open that often have no full time staff or air traffic controllers which makes it difficult to contact people to tell that I'm going to be flying my drone if no ones there.

So it looks like part 107 is the best route to avoid these issues.

Also with the Class B airspace thing for some reason on the FAA drone charts show class B & C the same data just one says

Class B Airspace
Upper Limit Value 4200
Lower Limit Value 2100
Type Code CLASS
Local Type CLASS_C
Class C
Military Code CIV
Level of the Airspace L
Sector
Onshore 1
Exclusion Area 0
Work Hour Code H24
Work Hour Remarks
GMT Offset

and the other says Class C same data

Class C Airspace
Upper Limit Value 4200
Lower Limit Value 2100
Type Code CLASS
Local Type CLASS_C
Class C
Military Code CIV
Level of the Airspace L
Sector
Onshore 1
Exclusion Area 0
Work Hour Code H24
Work Hour Remarks
GMT Offset

In the area's that I want to fly the smaller airports usually aren't open that often have no full time staff or air traffic controllers which makes it difficult to contact people to tell that I'm going to be flying my drone if no ones there.

So it looks like part 107 is the best route to avoid these issues.

Also with the Class B airspace thing for some reason on the FAA drone charts show class B & C the same data just one says

Class B Airspace
Upper Limit Value 4200
Lower Limit Value 2100
Type Code CLASS
Local Type CLASS_C
Class C
Military Code CIV
Level of the Airspace L
Sector
Onshore 1
Exclusion Area 0
Work Hour Code H24
Work Hour Remarks
GMT Offset

and the other says Class C same data

Class C Airspace
Upper Limit Value 4200
Lower Limit Value 2100
Type Code CLASS
Local Type CLASS_C
Class C
Military Code CIV
Level of the Airspace L
Sector
Onshore 1
Exclusion Area 0
Work Hour Code H24
Work Hour Remarks
GMT Offset
I applaud your efforts to fly legal and understand the Airspace requirements. Airspace is very involved. If you tell us the actual area that you are interested in flying, a lot more sense came be made of what is required and what is allowed.

One of the places that I was interested in flying in is

Map Coordinates
41°57′25″N 72°49′12″W

I know down the road probably about half a mile there is Class C that starts at from the ground up. I wouldn't be flying there.

The other is around a lake
Map Coordinates
41°51′33″N 71°53′51″W

I was also curious about the airspace in this area

Map Coordinates
41°42′55″N 72°54′06″W

One of the places that I was interested in flying in is

Map Coordinates
41°57′25″N 72°49′12″W

I know down the road probably about half a mile there is Class C that starts at from the ground up. I wouldn't be flying there.

The other is around a lake
Map Coordinates
41°51′33″N 71°53′51″W

I was also curious about the airspace in this area

Map Coordinates
41°42′55″N 72°54′06″W
Not a problem. You have to give me 1.5 - 2.0 hrs. I'm setting up some honey beehives before the rain comes in.

You have (3) good places to fly there.
The first one, as you mentioned , is just West of Windsor Locks Class C - from the Surface. Just south is the Class E - from the surface, (lavender dotted line), that protects the instrument approach into Windsor Locks. You are also surrounded by Class E - bottom @ 700 AGL until just East of Barkhamsted Reservoir, where it changes to Class G - uncontrolled. You would have to notify Simsbury Airport, since you will only be about 3.5 miles away.

The second location is in Class E - bottom @ 700AGL. You will need to watch for the Glider activity & the Parachuting that occurs @ Danielson Airport. You will want to notify them also, since you are less then (3) miles from them.

The third location is good also. Class E - bottom @ 700AGL. You will want to notify Robertson Airport, as you will only be 2.5 miles from them.

The link I am giving you is able to be toggled from the upper left hand corner, for satellite view, (like Google Earth), to locate your spots exactly, then to FAA Sectional charts to familiarize yourself with the airspace.

VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Three nice flying spots.
Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Enjoy.

You have (3) good places to fly there.
The first one, as you mentioned , is just West of Windsor Locks Class C - from the Surface. Just south is the Class E - from the surface, (lavender dotted line), that protects the instrument approach into Windsor Locks. You are also surrounded by Class E - bottom @ 700 AGL until just East of Barkhamsted Reservoir, where it changes to Class G - uncontrolled. You would have to notify Simsbury Airport, since you will only be about 3.5 miles away.

The second location is in Class E - bottom @ 700AGL. You will need to watch for the Glider activity & the Parachuting that occurs @ Danielson Airport. You will want to notify them also, since you are less then (3) miles from them.

The third location is good also. Class E - bottom @ 700AGL. You will want to notify Robertson Airport, as you will only be 2.5 miles from them.

The link I am giving you is able to be toggled from the upper left hand corner, for satellite view, (like Google Earth), to locate your spots exactly, then to FAA Sectional charts to familiarize yourself with the airspace.

VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Three nice flying spots.
Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Enjoy.

I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly if you were flying as a hobbyist you would have to notify those 3 airports every time you fly.

However if you got your part 107 license you could could fly any time during the day and would never have to notify those airports?

Flying as a hobbyist, probably more correctly called Recreational - FAA Part 101, you would have to notify those airports prior to the flight. They cannot actually deny you access but could tell you that they strongly do not recommend it for some reason that they consider would make the operation unsafe. You could legally still fly, but...........

Under Part 107 it gets a bit more complicated. Refer to the Sectional as I explain this.
Your first airport, Simsbury, is inside of the lavender dotted lines that are Class E Airspace - controlled to the surface when the Bradley,(Windsor Locks), Tower is in operation.
See the note on the chart, "See NOTAMS/Supplement for Class E (sfc) eff hrs."
So, if the tower is in operation at Bradley, then Simsbury is in controlled airspace and could not be entered under Part 107 without a FAA Waiver/Authorization obtained by filing online and waiting a few weeks to several weeks for approval, (or denial).
If the tower is closed at Bradley, then the Class E Surface airspace reverts to Class C with the base starting at 2100 MSL, and you could fly below the "C" without contacting anyone, since you can only go to 400 AGL anyway. You would have to check the NOTAMS/Supplement for hours of operation for the tower.

Danielson is below Class E Airspace whose bottom starts at 700 AGL. So from 699 AGL to the surface is Class G - Uncontrolled Airspace and you could fly there under Part 107 without contacting anyone.

Robertson is in the same situation as Danielson. It is below Class E Airspace whose bottom starts at 700 AGL. So from 699 AGL to the surface is Class G - Uncontrolled Airspace and you could fly there under Part 107 without contacting anyone.

Don't forget to also check TFR's, (Temporary Flight Restrictions), before every flight. They can, (and do), pop up at a moments notice, anywhere, for any of a number of reasons, and Prohibit or Restrict flight for their duration.

That should keep you busy for a while. Fell free to ask questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great detailed info. Quick question, under 107, do I understand all this to mean that you can fly without notifying a tower under the lower limit AGL for any of these respective airspaces? So in other words, under 400ft is a go in all spaces without notification under 107?

No not at all, for the simple reason that Tower Controlled Airspace is called Class D and goes down to the surface, (when the tower is in operation). At Bradley we're not calling it "D" because the FAA has assigned it an even more restrictive category, "C".
Here is the simplest way to understand this:
ANY CONTROLLED AIRSPACE, meaning ANY A,B,C,D,E CANNOT be entered by a Part 107 driver without filing for an FAA Waiver and waiting weeks to receive an answer whether the flight has been approved. There is only (1) exception to this rule, but that is beyond the scope of this dialog, and I only mention it because someone will jump me if I don't. I am not going to confuse you at this early stage with the exception, but trust me, it will not apply to your flying.
Part 107 flyers can ONLY fly in uncontrolled "G" airspace. If they obtain a Waiver in writing from the FAA, then they can enter the other Controlled Airspace.

Simply put; Flying as a hobbyist is FAR LESS restrictive then flying under Part 107

So punish the people that take the time to educate themselves more and/or are trying to make a business out of it. Makes perfect sense [emoji106]

So punish the people that take the time to educate themselves more and/or are trying to make a business out of it. Makes perfect sense [emoji106]
Oh, you're catching on fast! Totally Bass Acwards. Hobbyists can roam at will and only have to call the airport, and cannot be denied entry.
Part 107 people have to file weeks ahead to do the same thing, (if wanting to enter Controlled airspace of any type).

The section below provides a possible permanent solution so it might not be necessary to contact the airport each time.

Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within five miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed-upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport):

The section below provides a possible permanent solution so it might not be necessary to contact the airport each time.

Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within five miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed-upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport):
I believe you are correct.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub