Question about a mavic and wakeboarding

Reaction score
I guess the mavic is basically the same drone the 4 is so here is the question. I want to film people(me especially) wakeboarding behind my boat. So I am going to send up the mavic from the boat while the wakeboarder is in the water getting ready. Circle the wakeboarder on the screen and then have the mavic film wakeboarder.

Now here is where my question lies since i am going to be in the water and a novice pilot is piloting the drone. . Can he/she hit return to home and will it follow the transmitter and land in boar or will the dronel land where it first took off from the boat(water now)?

From how I understand it, the drone will land where the Home point was established on the map and not head back to the controller. For this it may be best to create a home point, a safe 15-20 feet on dry land and then do your wakeboard shoot.

I would never depend on the home button to land the thing on a boat unless you were captain Phillips

You can reset the home point to the transmitter location in GO or Litchi if your mobile device has GPS enabled. Whether or not the drone will automatically land right on the boat is a crap shoot. They have an accuracy that can vary by as much as a 6 foot radius. Best to get it close and land manually, preferably hand-catch it.

I'm not sure if the latest version of DJI GO will dynamically reset the home point. Last I tried this, I had to reset it manually when the boat stopped.

I have boat video of hydrofoilers. It works fine, although the speed may not be slow enough to allow orbit. I don't have any video of myself because I don't know anyone whom I'd trust to take off and land my drone from the boat. It was nerve-wracking enough as it was.

Last edited:
If the RTH button is pushed, the drone will return to the Home Point that was established when it took off. If you want it to return to the boat, you need to stop the boat and reset the HP to your current controller position. Even if you do that, it's going to be fairly risky, and you would do better to follow the advice given above by eat pasta.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31