Question about 2.4G Bluetooth Data Link

Reaction score
I love the idea of this, but does the data link need to be in constant communication LOS with the P2 for it to fly it's mission? I'm hoping it's just used to relay the flight data and then the P2 can autonomously fly on it's own without any ground communication. But judging by the size of the antenna on the data link I don't think that's the case.

When using the GS you define your multi-waypoint flightplan and 'upload' this into the Naza. When pressing GO it takes off and flies on its own. Also without a connection it will keep flying its program. You can always take over control with your TX by changing from GPS to ATT mode....

This is an interesting question , and one I was wondering about although it makes sense to upload, can I ask where you found this information.

I have not seen anything

Thanks
Simon

simon3000gt said:
This is an interesting question , and one I was wondering about although it makes sense to upload, can I ask where you found this information.

I have not seen anything

Thanks
Simon

This is how DJI describes it.

1. Provides communications between the Ground end and the Air end using the DJI bidirectional data communication modules; the iPAD Ground Station communicates with the Ground end using the BTU module;
2. Use the 2.4G Bluetooth Datalink Assistant Software to upgrade the firmware of the 2.4G Bluetooth Datalink and the BTU module;
3.Provides bidirectional communications with large dataflow within the specified distance of the remote control.

Sounds like to me it must maintain contact with the ground to fly its mission. I saw somewhere else the range was like 1000m. Anyone have one and can help answer the question?

Also, one other question. According to DJI's website / Facebook page, Ground Station hasn't been released for the Phantom 2 but I see a lot of people with it installed on their P2. Are people just getting ready for the release?

Thanks!

Reading back though the manual under

Important

(1) If there are obstacles between the ground and air ends then the radio signal of the 2.4G Bluetooth
Datalink will be weak; please make sure the antennas are always visibly unobstructed during the flight.
Human body, trees, buildings or hills will disconnect the link between the Air end and the Ground end.

(2) Make sure the antenna of the Air end is pointing down, and the antenna of the Ground end is pointing
upwards; it’s better to put the Ground end at a high place to get further transmission distance.

(3) When using the ACE ONE Flight control system with the 2.4G Bluetooth Datalink, the Ground Station
will connect to the Main controller 15s after power on.

So does it load the current path into the Naza and you can then update or as point (1) suggest need line of sight

The PC ground station states
Ground Station equipped with intelligent adaptive system. During abnormal signal loss , the system will adjust to environment to activate failsafe appropriately. The aircraft will implement and complete the default route mission automatically, even when datalink signal is lost.

Simon

Scully said:
Any one know if P2 firmware v2.0 (just released) has enabled the ground station ?

Yes, the firmware supports it but the updated Ground station app has not been released via the app store.

From DJI:

"It's time for a celebration. The Ground Station firmware for the Phantom 2 is out!

All you need to do is plug your Phantom 2 into your computer and run Assistant, click "Upgrade" then follow the prompts. After that, do the same for the BTU. If you haven't run Assistant with your Phantom before, you'll need to download the driver to help your computer find it. For more information go here: http://www.dji.com/product/ipad-ground-station

Once Apple approves the updated Ground Station app next week, you'll be able to start flying waypoints!

The Phantom 2 Vision waypoints system will be available soon."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl