Ques: Has anyone tried adding 2nd flying battery?

Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked but the search did not show any.

I think it is somewhat obvious that the power source increases lifting capacity &/or flight time (unless props bend). Has anyone cobbled together a P v1 (non vision phantom) with a second battery?

What were your results?

Thx!

I ask because I would like to use a larger camera & better than either GoPro or Vision cam and of course would like 15mins or more flight time, have seen Pansonic GH3 and Sony NEX-5r on non Vision and they flew ok, not fabulously but ok for my intended use. Also have seen the same cams on S800/equiv and they flew wonderfully but those are out of my price range for now.

Not sure what you have tapped into the search box but try "dual battery" and you will get 27 pages of results... it is a topic that has been covered a HUGE amount in here and divides opinions greatly. The search function on here isn't great and you are likely to get better results using google "dual battery on phantom" or "two batteries on phantom".

Simple answer is yes... easy to do and yes it will improve flight times (but it won't double them). Many say it handles like a pig but personally I don't think it is 'that' bad. Descents can be FAST and take a lot of juice to stop from bumping. It is manageble for FPV and video flights but it is by no means a sports flyer at 1200grams.

I get 12+ mins of useable flight out of my dual battery FPV setup but that is without a gimbal and using a Hero3.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECE33j0qXmE[/youtube]

If you are looking at 2 batts AND a heavier camera I'd suggest the Phantom is maybe a little small. You will be lucky to get even 10 mins if that and you will be stressing your ESCs and motors. For your needs and you should consider an upgrade to an F450 or F550. Bigger frame, bigger props and all round much better mounting options. Plus they can use anything upto a 6s battery.

If you are stuck on the Phantom then a 2700mah 3s is out there that fits in the shell which I have heard good things about and also Tri-blades sound like they are good for pulling the extra weight.

Again there is a raft of information out there that is far more comprehensive than this so do some more searching.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic