Query on Image Quality

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between buying a P2V+ and a P2 with a Gopro Hero 3+. I would be grateful for any advice. I have no experience with quadcopters.

Image quality is foremost for me. I am a retired professional photographer and intend to use the machine for stills as much as video. The ability to shoot camera RAW (.dng) with the P2V+ has great appeal. However, most people seem to think that the Gopro is a better camera. That said, I would have to spend much more to include FPV.

I have tried to find a website from which I could download a full-size .dng file to inspect before buying. Maybe some kind soul on this forum could email me a couple of images?

In any case, if you care about image quality and helping me out, I would appreciate your advice.

Hero 3+ also has a RAW feature called Protune (search youtube for examples), I use it on all videos.

I've owned a Phantom 2 H3-3D + GoPro 3+ with FPV for a couple months and a week ago I had my first hands-on with a friend's P2V+ and here's my comparison opinion:
- P2V+ has LOTS of controller range problems. He flys 200m out and control gets lost, then comes back after a while.
- He has a Samsung phone (S4, S5 - not sure) pretty big screen, but way too small since I'm used to the 7" FPV. Someone calls, you get frustrated. App crashed when we were testing.
- The controller is 5.8GHz and there are lots of wifi antennas everywhere near civilization. This could be the reason for the first point above.
- Camera has no other use.

So after seeing the P2V+, I'm personally VERY glad I went the "DIY" route, even though it is a bit more money.
- I have no range problems, I have never lost controller signal (2.4GHz), 1000-1500m away, 300m high. I have had FPV on-screen video signal interference in a couple areas, but this has no effect on control or GoPro output video.
- I can take the GoPro off and film countless other activities with it.
- I can use my iPhone to make calls etc.
- I can use my FlySight monitor as a TV when travelling, among other uses.

Therefore, in my opinion, if you want professional video, without spending the dough for octocopters and DSLR, the "normal" Phantom 2 is the way to go.
It is possible that the stated P2V+ problems can be worked out, I didn't have the time or need to look into it.

Here's my fireworks video, something I believe is not very easy for low-end cameras to capture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmsP3mm6ONY
Keep in my that youtube downgrades the video quality and there was no color/brightness editing done at all. This is pure GoPro Protunes video filmed 1080p/50fps.

If we're lucky enough, maybe the future GoPro 4/5 will fit our gimbals.

Although I would love it if GoPro offered a camera that shot raw, there is currently no GoPro that shoots raw. In fact, I don't think it even increases the bit rate. It just offers a flatter image. I also use it although I've considered just shooting shooting in the normal mode. I'm not sure Protune really offers any genuine advantage.

Fyod said:
Hero 3+ also has a RAW feature called Protune (search youtube for examples), I use it on all videos.

I've owned a Phantom 2 H3-3D + GoPro 3+ with FPV for a couple months and a week ago I had my first hands-on with a friend's P2V+ and here's my comparison opinion:
- P2V+ has LOTS of controller range problems. He flys 200m out and control gets lost, then comes back after a while.
- He has a Samsung phone (S4, S5 - not sure) pretty big screen, but way too small since I'm used to the 7" FPV. Someone calls, you get frustrated. App crashed when we were testing.
- The controller is 5.8GHz and there are lots of wifi antennas everywhere near civilization. This could be the reason for the first point above.
- Camera has no other use.

So after seeing the P2V+, I'm personally VERY glad I went the "DIY" route, even though it is a bit more money.
- I have no range problems, I have never lost controller signal (2.4GHz), 1000-1500m away, 300m high. I have had FPV on-screen video signal interference in a couple areas, but this has no effect on control or GoPro output video.
- I can take the GoPro off and film countless other activities with it.
- I can use my iPhone to make calls etc.
- I can use my FlySight monitor as a TV when travelling, among other uses.

Therefore, in my opinion, if you want professional video, without spending the dough for octocopters and DSLR, the "normal" Phantom 2 is the way to go.
It is possible that the stated P2V+ problems can be worked out, I didn't have the time or need to look into it.

Here's my fireworks video, something I believe is not very easy for low-end cameras to capture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmsP3mm6ONY
Keep in my that youtube downgrades the video quality and there was no color/brightness editing done at all. This is pure GoPro Protunes video filmed 1080p/50fps.

If we're lucky enough, maybe the future GoPro 4/5 will fit our gimbals.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj