quality loss editing

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a editing program? I have quality loss using iMovie with idvd. And maybe help as to how to improve this problem...I'm using a mac..

DVDs are only SD 720x480. The P3P shoots UHD 3860x2160. So any program that makes a DVD will reduce the resolution a lot.

You can burn BluRays they are at least 1920x1080, but even that is less than the UHD.

A great free NLE is DaVinci Resolve:
Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12

FCPX is a great step up from iMovie. Get that and Compressor and you can output pretty much anything:
Final Cut Pro X - Overview - Apple

Reactions: Mudcat
DVDs are only SD 720x480. The P3P shoots UHD 3860x2160. So any program that makes a DVD will reduce the resolution a lot.

You can burn BluRays they are at least 1920x1080, but even that is less than the UHD.

A great free NLE is DaVinci Resolve:
Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12

FCPX is a great step up from iMovie. Get that and Compressor and you can output pretty much anything:
Final Cut Pro X - Overview - Apple
I shooting a real estate video for a friend today, would I be better off shooting at 1080 rather then 4k?

Viewing in iMovie you are not going to see full 4K as your screen on mac is not going to show 4k video unless you have the latest iMac.

The output can still be 4k.

filming in 4k and down converting to 1080p gives better results than filming in 1080p but that does require a lot of processing power, time, has disk space etc.

How are the customers going to see finished output ?

Viewing in iMovie you are not going to see full 4K as your screen on mac is not going to show 4k video unless you have the latest iMac.

The output can still be 4k.

filming in 4k and down converting to 1080p gives better results than filming in 1080p but that does require a lot of processing power, time, has disk space etc.

How are the customers going to see finished output ?
With a dvd. I have the latest iMac 16gigs of ram. It looks great watching with quick time, but after dropping it into iMovie it doesn't. And then I guess I'll have to send it to iDVD to burn?

DOnt forget that iMovie and final cut pro dont show the full quality from what I can tell.

Also they have to render it first before you get the best.

I suggest you do a test sequence and see how it comes out on the dvd.

DOnt forget that iMovie and final cut pro dont show the full quality from what I can tell.

Also they have to render it first before you get the best.

I suggest you do a test sequence and see how it comes out on the dvd.
Thank you, I will. There just has to be a way to edit and burn onto DVDs or blue ray at original quality....

Thats the problem as DVD needs it to be in TS format and Bleary in MKV type format.

unless your media player can accept MOV or MKV etc, then it can go on a USB or SD card.

DOnt forget the output quality from iMovie or FCP is a lot higher than you seen on screen, via these programs.

Try the captured footage and do an edit and look at side by side. (with VLC or QT)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers