Quality is suffering from compression

Reaction score
It's taking so long for me to upload on you tube that after 6 hours of waiting for a 3 minute video I went and used a different file compression thingy and it only took 15minutes.
Thing is, my eyes aren't that great and I'm wondering how bad the quality is?
This is from my p3a, need some advice?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Trackman1
Your bird produces a HUGE file, you want to use a smaller version for web use or it will take forever.

Use compression software that comes with most video editing programs. Many even specify YouTube or Vimeo, etc.

Use compression software that comes with most video editing programs. Many even specify YouTube or Vimeo, etc.
I'll have to look into that. I tried uploading it to youtube without compression and after 7 hours I finally went to a third part.

I'm completely a noob with any of this.... so I used 'handbrake'? Anything else I should look into?

Handbrake does excellent compression. Especially in 2 pass mode. Simple to use and create presets. And its free.

Handbrake does excellent compression. Especially in 2 pass mode. Simple to use and create presets. And its free.
2 passmode? I went to 'video' and slid it to '28'.
Nice to see I did it right, hahaha

Trackman,

I used Handbrake as well but still created a fairly large file. Can you clarify the 2 pass mode you are referring to. I can't remember but think I selected the universal device and gave me a 720 output.

Thanks

Somewhere YouTube publishes a recommended file format / size and compression. I use Premiere Pro that has baked in presets for most things but Handbrake ought to have something like that. Problem is that Handbrake is *very* flexible and will output all manner of things. You can go way wrong.

That said, looks OK. You could probably sharpen it up in post if you wanted to spend the time.

Somewhere YouTube publishes a recommended file format / size and compression. I use Premiere Pro that has baked in presets for most things but Handbrake ought to have something like that. Problem is that Handbrake is *very* flexible and will output all manner of things. You can go way wrong.

That said, looks OK. You could probably sharpen it up in post if you wanted to spend the time.
^^that how would I 'sharpen it and clean it up?!

It's taking so long for me to upload on you tube that after 6 hours of waiting for a 3 minute video I went and used a different file compression thingy and it only took 15minutes.
Thing is, my eyes aren't that great and I'm wondering how bad the quality is?
This is from my p3a, need some advice?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Plenty of suggestions... but I have to know where you started before I can give you some solutions. For example, what did you upload. RAW uncompressed video straight from the bird? 3 minutes of video? What was the size of the upload?

Plenty of suggestions... but I have to know where you started before I can give you some solutions. For example, what did you upload. RAW uncompressed video straight from the bird? 3 minutes of video? What was the size of the upload?
I started with mov file and converted it to an mp4

Right now I have another mp4 directly from the p3a- 1.8 gb... what should I do

I went ahead and downloaded premiere pro, I'm trying to learn the software. What format do you preset to?

I went ahead and downloaded premiere pro, I'm trying to learn the software. What format do you preset to?
In Export Settings:

Format H.264 -- that's what Vimeo likes, I'm guessing that YouTube is the same
Preset: YouTube 1080P HD (or whatever specific size you want to export it to - there is a large list of presets for all manner of outputs).

You might want to Google up YouTube recommended settings for more details. That's how I rigged it for Vimeo - it's a well trodden road.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 19.32.19.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 19.32.19.png
    190.4 KB · Views: 454
Ahhh... Now we are talking. Use the YouTube setting in premiere / Adobe media encoder. Doing so will make the process faster because YouTube won't compress it again. I use 1080 when encoding to YouTube and match the frame rate to the frame rate I shot the video.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just throw it up to YouTube, they convert it, it takes time but it still looks good.
Exactly... If you have premiere... You don't have to do it that way. You can encode it directly to YouTube standards.. It will upload faster as it is a smaller file and will be immediately available without the need to convert.

Or you can upload a huge file that takes ages to upload depending on your speed and then wait for YouTube to strip down your file in the conversion process which also takes forever... Or you can output your video to the YouTube setting in premiere and encode it that way. Making it YouTube ready...

yeah the forever wait doesn't work for me. this is a mew hobby and I need the computer for money making things.
I'm going to try the premier encoder route tomorrow.
thank ya'll

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers