Quality help?

Reaction score
Wondering why I always shoot so grainy!?

013a1bdb66244b1e122a63d0217f6bc8.jpg

f5cc701bf660dce6977ae6b83405bb9e.jpg

P3P
.mov
3840x2160p 30fps
ND8 filter

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Seems about normal for a12MP camera. There are post processing methods to decrease grain, but they seem to make it less sharp overall too. Conversely, sharpen it and you get more noise/grain.

I do wish DJI would put a better camera on their gear other than going to a S1000 and lifting some second party Canon, Sony, or Nikon 35+MP camera along with a better lens up there. With Youtube, Netflix, Amazon, and other places going to 4K, maybe 5K soon, 12MP is so 1990's now, imho. Primary reason I am not that excited about the Mavic too as I don't see an image quality increase over the P4. P5 or an Inspire 2 with 24MP would get my attention.

Reactions: johnnyeaker
Seems about normal for a12MP camera. There are post processing methods to decrease grain, but they seem to make it less sharp overall too. Conversely, sharpen it and you get more noise/grain.

I do wish DJI would put a better camera on their gear other than going to a S1000 and lifting some second party Canon, Sony, or Nikon 35+MP camera along with a better lens up there. With Youtube, Netflix, Amazon, and other places going to 4K, maybe 5K soon, 12MP is so 1990's now, imho. Primary reason I am not that excited about the Mavic too as I don't see an image quality increase over the P4. P5 or an Inspire 2 with 24MP would get my attention.

Same reason I've not gone to the P4. Until they get a better camera there not reason for me to change. Yet. As a still shooter, there's just not enough difference in quality.

Same reason I've not gone to the P4. Until they get a better camera there not reason for me to change. Yet. As a still shooter, there's just not enough difference in quality.

Personally I'm AMAZED at the quality of both the video and photographs on a property set-up +32" Full HD screen.
To the OP, I think the quality is excellent, with very little grain.

Personally I'm AMAZED at the quality of both the video and photographs on a property set-up +32" Full HD screen.
To the OP, I think the quality is excellent, with very little grain.
Have to really reserve judgement until there's more Mavik's actually in use and more samples out there to compare. I could be wrong...

For the curious, here is a 36 MP Nikon D810 with their 14-24mm zoom lens. There are two of them flying and you can see the chase S1000 in some aerial shots. Some of it with the clarity makes it appear as if 3D.

Also, set it to 1080P in Youtube, and might pay to let it load in cache in the background prior to viewing in full screen.

Amazing footage, but then you are looking at three times the DJI P4/Mavic pixel count, better lens, and the almost 16 stop dynamic range of the D810 too which helps in the shadows. I believe the DJI camera is only about 7 stops of DR if that. Even the cheap row of Best Buy $200 pocket cameras are up to 20.8 MP now.

And I have the P3- no difference in camera or sensor.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl