QuadCopter Safty Training

Reaction score
Hello, I just recently joined your Form and have enjoyed reading the different posts. I have never piloted a copter/drone before but spent some time in the 60s as an Aerial Reconnaissance Photographer while in the U.S. Air Force. I became aware of the perfect marriage between the GoPro camera and the DJI Phantom through Youtube and Forms like yours. I became so excited about the possibilities of adding aerial work to my landscape projects that I just recently placed an order with B&H PhotoVideo for a Phantom. However reluctantly I am now rethinking my decision. As exciting as the possibilities are, I am concerned with having to look over my shoulder when trying to accomplish a simple project. I fear that it's only a matter of time before Government Legislation places so many restrictions and burdensome costs to pilot a copter that it will put it out of reach of many of us. Every time I see a sensationalized article or a news item addressing RC piloting and especially Quadcopters/Drones in a negative way it makes me nervous. The expression “Stupid is as Stupid does” seems to apply in cases where someone is piloted near an airport or lost control because of wind turbulence are attempting to see how high it can go. I am concerned that the investment of both time and money from all of us may go by the wayside because of FAA ruling. I would hope that DJI or Hobbyists or Forms might get out in front of this. Is there any effort to provide safety and procedural regulations that result in certification by companies like DJI or organizations other than FAA? If nothing is proactively done, then I fear the consequences of government intrusion. I am sorry to sound so negative but I do not wish to fear piloting such incredible technology.

as of right now, there are no clear guidelines by any governing bodies. the closest thing is the Academy of Model Aeronautics, however they are a "Self-supporting, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity." Basically they have no real authority, but because they are "organized", they have more pull/push than any of us individually.

currently FAA will issue a cease and desist order if they find out you are doing aereo photography / videography with a "drone" for commercial purposes. with the numerous hobbiest in the nation flying "UAV's", it will be virtually impossible for the FAA to "crack down" on everyone.

It is not the people who are aware of possible restrictions that will be placed on us that worries me. it is those who are ignorant of the possibilities of these restrictions or who do not care about these restrictions that worries me. if we all used "common sense" when operating our crafts, there should be no worries about restrictions since 90% of us would already be keeping it safe.

common sense things like:
1) be aware of the limitations of your craft (what it can and can't do)
2) be aware of your own limitations (skill, experience, etc)
3) be aware of the surrounding area you will be operating your craft in (trees, groups of people, etc)
4) be aware of restricted area and flight ceiling (airports, staying under 200 feet, etc)

and i'm sure there are lots more but you get the general idea

Welcome Lowell! I am also concerned about what may happen in the future given the number irresponsible Phantom - and other quadcopter - owners that are out there already. But it will be a while before the FAA actually makes any decisions and so in the meantime I'm going to enjoy flying my Phantom and taking video/photos with it.

As you say it would be good if DJI, other manufacturers as well as users started taking action sooner rather than later to education/inform the users and public and also act to guide the formation of regulations that may be needed for public safety reasons.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20