Quad Flight Training

Reaction score
I have stated researching quad's for aerial photography and doing some due diligence on the Phantom. I have not owned a UAV and before I begin the investment not just in the Phantom but accessories…I want to buy a quad to learn how to fly first. I don't want a $1200 Quad with camera and Gimbel to be my test vehicle so with that in mind, what is a good quad to start with so I may learn proper flight control and technique. What are your recommendations for a Quad and RC that will give me the closest experience to controlling the Phantom and are there any recommended training app/programs/simulators that are true to life? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. What type of certifications are available?
Thanks in advance.

Zapple

Very little exists currently in the way of "certification" and none of them are universal, or even guaranteed to do anything for you.

The cheapest way to learn multi-rotor flying is to pick up one of the micro-quads available for $35 or less, with no flight control aids. You'll go through props like crazy, but it's the best and most cost-efficient way to learn the physics and control structure.

However, if you plan to always use platforms with stabilizing flight control, you could just pick up one of the now-inexpensive earlier models of the Phantom and train with that...you'll need to move up to something like that during your learning curve anyway even if you start with one of the micro-quads, as those won't give you much experience with higher-altitude or longer-range flights.

The little quads are indeed great to learn on (and fly indoors if you have room), but plenty of people (including myself) went with the Phantom as their first quad to learn on.

Prop guards would have been handy (if they were available for me), as I ran into a number of bushes and a tree. But it was all part of the learning experience.
But I would recommend that if you do get a Phantom, watch all the video's many times, learn all you can, and find a nice open field to practice flying in GPS, and then ATTI mode. (don't try manual until you're much more experienced.)
It's not really too difficult, just takes time and practice so you don't get in over your head.

I'm in the same boat. I want to buy a Phantom and use my GoPro to do some arial photography. But I've never flown one before and don't want to practice on such an expensive toy. So today I ordered a Hubsan H107C HD off Amazon to practice on. It's much smaller then a Phantom but it should have similar flight characteristics.

I did the same thing. I now have my phantom and I am very comfortable flying in manual mode. I learned on a Syma S1 for $30 on amazon and 4 extra batteries($20). It comes with extra props and is very close to indestructible. each battery lasts about 10 minutes depending on conditions. I have not broken a prop, I have crashed into poles roofs walls fans floors. and to my surprise it keeps on flying. Great little beast... The most fun with it is outside in moderate wind. I practice my fine skills with it indoor (hover, precise landing, and flying) and I rip up the sky out side. To this day...

The phantom is too expensive for me to get crazy. My end result was I have my syma to play, I have a craigslist Phantom for training and experimenting $200, and I have my production model zen+phantom+gopro ect for my special purposes.

It does not take long to get the hang of the X1 but practice makes perfect. The big thing is the X1 is 3 axis and the phantom is 6 axis, the phantom is MUCH more stable and easy to fly however you will not discover that till you master your small quad.

I am not trying to sell you on the X1 it is just an example of a successful unit, there are many out there.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj