Quad down

Reaction score
My turn for a crash, 19 months since new and not a crash until yesterday
Long story short it seems that the compass cable worked loose, all control went, even in ATTI it just started going hung ho, so I did a CSC and let it land in tall grass, gimbal is a write off shell a bit twisted but the worst damage is the GPS puck is smashed.

I've seen the phantom 2 vision plus pucks on eBay for £70 can I use one of these in the non plus vision?
f6cd8d1a90cdcbf8da7d22bf000582d4.jpg
5d92f3577b84c49d5fb0eec0cd8173d1.jpg
f8a32e5e76ab461f1399d6b5ac299abf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Crash, crash, CRA-HASH!
Man oh man!
No problem brother, no worries, It happens, ask @dirkclod about Mia 4.
First, a new shell is a must, easy swap. Next junk that gimbal ( I tried to fix one once ( not worth it TRUST ME ) all screws will be stripped out, and will never stay tight again )
Lastly
GPS, only your antenna is broken, can be replaced EASILY, I can help.
I'm surprised you still using stock 2mm antenna, and have not upgraded to 4mm? I have about 10 here, I'll happily send one your way ( do you have soldering capabilities?
Requires tiny bit of desoldering, and soldering back, only 1 pin, super easy. Can you do the rebuild? If not send it to me, I'll rebuild it for you! Or I can do the GPS for you. Let me know, I can make how to videos on anything you need to do. Also have a phantom with a cracked motor mount, so will be doing a swap out this week ( if new one arrives soon ) I can make you a video of me doing it, just follow what I do. But no biggie my friend, it CAN BE FIXED, and cheaply ( gimbal and new shell with be the most expensive things you will need , as long as nothing else broke.
But if craft was turned off ( props ) when it crashed, then you should be alright. So lesson learned, a dab of silicone, on all connections can save your craft! A little vibration can cause some strange things to happen, like connections wiggling loose! I'm sorry this happened to you, you've been a great friend to me and my friends here, and I'm here if you need my help!

Take care, ...................!
J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: dirkclod
Yep Crash . I believe ya did er in . I have also been there like Jerry said and you can fix it . Mia4 really about Mia7 .
Jerry he is over the pond so don't think he will be sending it to ya :)
Ya want me to see about changing your name buddy ;)

Lol
Why change it? It now fits him perfectly! Muhaaaaaaa.
But I can still send him a new antenna though! No skin off my teeth!

Or he can order one from digi-key
Here is the model number. Or I have SEVERAL stock 2mm ceramic antennas he can have a couple!
As you know I upgraded

# CGGP.25.4.A.02 Taoglas
About $6 us
image.jpeg

J Dot
:cool:

Lol
Why change it? It now fits him perfectly! Muhaaaaaaa.
crash2thtime
Bahahahaaaaaaaa
I can't count how many times I have .
At least 99% of em was with the Vision though and was an easy fix .
Well some of em :)

Cheers lads for the laugh, I guess i do suit my name now lol, I've managed to source a 4mm puck from a local quad fixer as well as a shell top and the gimbal has been replaced and working sweet as a nut. As I'm crap at soldering the fixer has agreed to do the puck replacement for me, but thanks anyway JDot for the offer most appreciated. As for the cable coming loose your right I will be adding some silicon to the connection. I'm taking the GPS module to the fixer this week to get the puck replaced and will be test flying it as soon as it's done although I'm going to tether it to a 10kg weight and make sure it behaves. In the meantime here is a pic of it now
32b6f8a6fd6739a4775ea732733c70dd.jpg

Cheers lads for the laugh, I guess i do suit my name now lol, I've managed to source a 4mm puck from a local quad fixer as well as a shell top and the gimbal has been replaced and working sweet as a nut. As I'm crap at soldering the fixer has agreed to do the puck replacement for me, but thanks anyway JDot for the offer most appreciated. As for the cable coming loose your right I will be adding some silicon to the connection. I'm taking the GPS module to the fixer this week to get the puck replaced and will be test flying it as soon as it's done although I'm going to tether it to a 10kg weight and make sure it behaves. In the meantime here is a pic of it now
32b6f8a6fd6739a4775ea732733c70dd.jpg

Does the left antenna from the egg camera is not bothering the gimbal ? was it easy to remove and mount there ?

It doesn't bother the gimbal bernek but the FPV .You lose half your signal . It's covered .

Isn't it supposed to switch between antennas ? They are both used at the same time ?

This is bad news for me then :( will have to cut the egg camera's ears and take that antenna out ... Also is the existing wire long enough or I need a different longer one ?

Your going to lose one antenna when you add the gimbal . Now I never cut my ears I took the camera apart .
Have to run an errand right now or would find it but there is a you tube on doing it . You don't find it just flag me or @J Dot
and we will show ya .

Reactions: J Dot and bernek
Your going to lose one antenna when you add the gimbal . Now I never cut my ears I took the camera apart .
Have to run an errand right now or would find it but there is a you tube on doing it . You don't find it just flag me or @J Dot
and we will show ya .

Thanks ! I was refering to the ear cut off because it hits on the gimbal aluminium mount when you bank left hard ... not for the antenna cable :)

I've found this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
and I know what I need to do :) and the grey antenna cable is not long enough so I would need another longer one.

I think if its long enough it won't bother the gimbal but I still believe that the way these antennas work they are switched either one. They can't work at the same time due to interference I guess. Will have to test myself the range and if its close to what I had before I wont bother with this step.

For the ears of the camera J Dot told me that I can find cheap covers if I ever want to go back. (I dream about buy a P3A one day ! and I will have to sell the P2V)

The landing gear J Dot told me also that from P2V+ is taller but I can't find any so I'm using a china wider taller landing gear that is flimsy and one day could break due to hand landings...
This stops me from using the backpack that I have sadly.

Thanks for your input !

Bernek.

Reactions: J Dot and dirkclod
I shaved my ear as it also caught on the top gimbal plate, it was OK as it was providing I didn't roll left or right to much but in the end I lopped it off

Reactions: dirkclod
@bernek I did a post on here on how I extended the aerial

New distance record but forgot something

Did you use only the cable ? I guess I can have one made here really cheap or buy just the cable from ebay. The problem is that I'm not used to the naming convetions of those connectors and have to google it out to know what to ask for when getting it.

I think I can make it a bit shorter and that would mean less signal loss.

I was around 6000ft even more with my setup. If I get 3000-3500 ft I'm ok if not I have to mod it. I will be testing tomorrow ! :)

I shaved my ear as it also caught on the top gimbal plate, it was OK as it was providing I didn't roll left or right to much but in the end I lopped it off

Regarding the shaving off one ear I would either do both (for looks) or just leave it as it is since I need it if I want to sell the P2V.

Shaving both off could mean a more pleasing look for sure ! I don't know if I can stand looking at those empty ears for too long ... but I just got the gimbal and I'm quite testing it to see what I can get out of it so if it proves to be decent then I will shave those ears off and mod the camera.

I'm also thinking about using 2 panel atennas from RE500 (I have RE700 now) because they are bigger maybe they will add more range ! and I can make a mount for them on the camera.

Cable was an extension cable for the parrot quad as stated in the post. I simply stripped the camera down to the boards and removed the cable going into the bottom board and then fed it out of the camera. I was lucky as I had a spare camera aerial from a spare camera I acquired. As for a panel for the RE then buy the Itelite system, Dirkclod and myself will attest to its ability to increase both tx and FPV distance.

Oh and as for the backpack, I have one of these cheap Chinese soft ones with the foam insert, I just hacked it a bit and was able to fit my quad in with the extended legs.

Reactions: bernek
Oh and as for the backpack, I have one of these cheap Chinese soft ones with the foam insert, I just hacked it a bit and was able to fit my quad in with the extended legs.

I also have the Itelite DBS-01 on my RC and I want to make some spacers for original legs (and dump the chinese taller and wider) so I can still use the backpack. Will make some from aluminium tubing (8 of them for each screw). I think leaving 1 cm clearance for the camera will be ok if I power it on in hand and take off from a level surface. Still have to get the naming for those connectors so I can order the cable here in my country.

I think the antenna panels from RE500 are bigger maybe I will use one of them here in this particular case.

What flight time reduction do you get from the chinese gimbal ? I lost around 2 minutes have to test again soon.

The cable I showed in the thread I listed is ideal and the right length if you want to mod it the same way I did, the cables are U.fl to U.fl and an extensive search of eBay only found one supplier who dies them in different lengths but he was very pricey which was why i went with the cable I showed, as for flight time, I lost about 3 minutes of full flight time, but as I only fly down to a battery level of 40% I get about 11 minutes from that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic