Quad battery life

Reaction score
I've heard the F450 can stay afloat for only 15 minutes. I'm purchasig a new quad and I need to know if there's any way to have the F450 in flight for longer. Can I just put a higher powered battery and have it fly for longer? Can someone please provide me the info. Here are the priorities I've in mind
1) battery life
2) expandability
3) portability

Any suggestions are welcome

There are a ton of factors to take into account when trying to make the most efficient quad.
obviously, the lower the weight, the longer it'll fly
bigger batteries will give more flight time, but they weigh more as well tho, so it can almost be a tradeoff.

15 minutes is actually pretty generous, probably only achieved with a nearly bare quad and a large battery.
But 15 minutes IS plenty of flying time.

Build it very light, put nothing on it except for a huge battery, and you can get 20+ minutes, even 30+ if you really wanted. Other than endurance timing though, not sure what fun that is. You won't have a camera on it, and it'll be too porky for sport flying. Maybe long range FPV?

ElGuano said:
Build it very light, put nothing on it except for a huge battery, and you can get 20+ minutes, even 30+ if you really wanted. Other than endurance timing though, not sure what fun that is. You won't have a camera on it, and it'll be too porky for sport flying. Maybe long range FPV?
Yep, exactly that. Long range fpv is what I'm looking for. Off topic, do rc planes do longer than 15 minutes?

Gizmo3000 said:
There are a ton of factors to take into account when trying to make the most efficient quad.
obviously, the lower the weight, the longer it'll fly
bigger batteries will give more flight time, but they weigh more as well tho, so it can almost be a tradeoff.

15 minutes is actually pretty generous, probably only achieved with a nearly bare quad and a large battery.
But 15 minutes IS plenty of flying time.
Thank you! I need to go several miles and was looking for an option that would last 40+ minutes

andersonpaac said:
ElGuano said:
Yep, exactly that. Long range fpv is what I'm looking for. Off topic, do rc planes do longer than 15 minutes?

Planes? Yeah, depending on size, they can fly for hours. 40 minutes is a big stretch, but possible with a lot of $$$ and research; I would not do it with an F450 frame. The current multirotor record (hovering) is more than two hours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers