QLD Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am Paul Gibson, the Chief Pilot of the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service (WLRHS), with bases on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

The WLRHS conducts coastal beach surveillance flights between Rainbow Bay and the QLD/NSW border for 700 hours per year, typically on all weekends, public and school holidays. These flights are conducted at less than 200 feet (65 meters) above the ground

On an annual basis our Safety Management System demands that we set safety goals for the upcoming year. This year, one of the safety goals is 'No near misses or collisions with UAV's'

As part of multi-facetted strategies to meet this goal, we want to engage with and reach out to all users of UAV's, whether that be CASA approved, or private users. Hence this introductory post.

All we ask is that users are aware and mindful that we operate as I have highlighted above and keep an eye (and ear) out for us in the first instance. Some of our helicopters are reasonably quiet and can 'sneak' up on you. The other way you can assist is to spread the word amongst your fellow users.

We are also contactable via westpacrescue at lifesaving dot com dot au if you wish to touch base with us. As part of Surf Life Saving Queensland, our base phone numbers are also available via the website and we would be happy to talk to you and let you know what times and where we are flying.

With thanks,

Paul

Hi all,

I am Paul Gibson, the Chief Pilot of the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service (WLRHS), with bases on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

The WLRHS conducts coastal beach surveillance flights between Rainbow Bay and the QLD/NSW border for 700 hours per year, typically on all weekends, public and school holidays. These flights are conducted at less than 200 feet (65 meters) above the ground

On an annual basis our Safety Management System demands that we set safety goals for the upcoming year. This year, one of the safety goals is 'No near misses or collisions with UAV's'

As part of multi-facetted strategies to meet this goal, we want to engage with and reach out to all users of UAV's, whether that be CASA approved, or private users. Hence this introductory post.

All we ask is that users are aware and mindful that we operate as I have highlighted above and keep an eye (and ear) out for us in the first instance. Some of our helicopters are reasonably quiet and can 'sneak' up on you. The other way you can assist is to spread the word amongst your fellow users.

We are also contactable via westpacrescue at lifesaving dot com dot au if you wish to touch base with us. As part of Surf Life Saving Queensland, our base phone numbers are also available via the website and we would be happy to talk to you and let you know what times and where we are flying.

With thanks,

Paul

I'm in Yeppoon so probably won't run into you there but keep up the good work.
You guys do a great job!

Hey Paul,
There is a DJI owners Australia facebook page you might want to jump onto as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl