PV2+ unusable (Wifi disappears/“Wifi repeater connection fai

Reaction score
Having MAJOR frustrations (once again) with my Phantom Vision 2+. Looking for some much needed advice. Here’s the basic run down:

April 2014 – Bought it. Worked awesome for the first 2 months
June 2014 – Started getting the issue where I got black screen on the app. Could still control the camera (take pics/video, angle, etc.) but could never get a feed to my phone/tablet.
July/August 2014 – After numerous calls with support, they finally sent me to a local DJI repair place who said the Wifi Module was faulty and they replaced it.
Sept/Oct 2014 – Took it for a few flights (2-3 hours) and it was working. Had one landing that wasn’t super delicate, but otherwise no crashes or anything.

So here’s the current problem which is driving me crazy!!!
I basically can’t connect to/control the camera no matter what I try (and I’ve tried on multiple devices/platforms). Here’s the basic LOOP that I’m in:
1) Turn on Remote, then wifi extender, then copter, start DJI App
2) Connect to copter wifi
3) Go to settings… bind camera
4) Take a picture of the QR code on the copter
5) Binding Successful 
6) Go to camera on App
7) Black screen and message “Phantom Connection Broken”
8) Go back to settings, to rebind: “Wifi repeater connection failed”
9) At this point, the wifi signal disappears and will not come back, even after turning everything off and back on again.
The ONLY way to get the wifi back is to reset the wifi extender (by holding reset for 20sec). At this point, I can RE-connect to the Phantom Wifi. I then go to settings, re-bind the camera, but then I get right back into step 6 of my looping problem and I have no luck.

I can FLY the copter fine, however I need the ability to take videos and pictures. So far my $1500 purchase has been a really expensive paperweight for the majority of time I’ve owned it!

Any ideas on how to fix this? It’s INCREDIBLY frustrating.

Few other things:
• All firmware is totally updated on everything
• App is the newest version
• I have a Nexus 5 running Android Lollipop, an S3 running Android 4.4.4, and an iphone 5c. Same problems on all. It has to be an issue with the copter/wifi extender itself.

If you need any other info to help with diagnosis, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Reactions: Columbuz
Re: PV2+ unusable (Wifi disappears/“Wifi repeater connection

Guardguy,
Have you attempted to do any research on this issue thru the forum search?
There are numerous postings regarding similar issues as you have described.

As a preliminary step in your diagnosis, you may want to double check all grey wire connections within the quad for surety, but more specifically those leading down from within the copter to the camera Gimbal, Some folks have carefully disconnected and reconnected one particular set of wires ( which I don't recollect right off ) with success. It may be worth the effort.

As well as the connections on the 3 grey cables, also check that the cables are not getting pinched when the battery slides in.
Mine were and it gave annoying intermittent problems with wifi connections.

guardguy said:
Having MAJOR frustrations (once again) with my Phantom Vision 2+. Looking for some much needed advice. Here’s the basic run down:

June 2014 – Started getting the issue where I got black screen on the app. Could still control the camera (take pics/video, angle, etc.) but could never get a feed to my phone/tablet.
July/August 2014 – After numerous calls with support, they finally sent me to a local DJI repair place who said the Wifi Module was faulty and they replaced it.
Sept/Oct 2014 – Took it for a few flights (2-3 hours) and it was working. Had one landing that wasn’t super delicate, but otherwise no crashes or anything.

I basically can’t connect to/control the camera no matter what I try (and I’ve tried on multiple devices/platforms). Here’s the basic LOOP that I’m in:
5) Binding Successful 
6) Go to camera on App
9) At this point, the wifi signal disappears and will not come back, even after turning everything off and back on again.
The ONLY way to get the wifi back is to reset the wifi extender (by holding reset for 20sec). At this point, I can RE-connect to the Phantom Wifi. I then go to settings, re-bind the camera, but then I get right back into step 6 of my looping problem and I have no luck.

I can FLY the copter fine, however I need the ability to take videos and pictures. So far my $1500 purchase has been a really expensive paperweight for the majority of time I’ve owned it!

Few other things:
• I have a Nexus 5 running Android Lollipop, an S3 running Android 4.4.4, and an iphone 5c. Same problems on all. It has to be an issue with the copter/wifi extender itself.

If you need any other info to help with diagnosis, please don’t hesitate to ask!

After bind is successful have you tried just going back and identifying Phantom wifi on your phone or tablet? You may just be using different wording here but this would be incorrect. After step 5 you would just access your phone or tablets wifi network and look for the Phantom and connect rather than rebind....

8.Go back to settings, to rebind: “Wifi repeater connection failed”

And don't forget to click the "check mark" once the rebinding is successful.

Also, be careful not to have two devices near you which can try and connect with your Phantom at the same time. I had this happen to me with a phone and a tablet. Phone was on my belt, but I was using tablet to fly Phantom. Tablet couldn't connect because phone was connecting and I didn't realize it. Hope you figure it out, that has to be frustrating.

Until recently I had 3 PV2+ one of them well lets just say aerial photography in the shadows of high-rise buildings and wind gusts do not mix. (that was just for us all to laugh, sadly it is true as well).

2 of my units purchased mid year 2014 are both having this issue. One of them is at a DJI repair center right now so we busted out the backup fresh from the box and I am having the same issue after a few successful flights. There has to be a real long term solution here. It almost makes the units useless. Usually rebinding with solve the issue 50% for the time for maybe 2 flights. We are taking these out with 5-8 batteries and going project to project; spending 45 minutes to get it to property fly and take images defeats the purpose of having it.

The main issue is "Wifi repeater connection failed" and it does not even always show up in my list of signals available. I have tested this on andriod and iOS and it is an issue on both platforms. Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Flying.

Hmm, I wonder if this issue is with the wifi repeater or with the Phantom? Have you carefully checked out the repeater itself? Perhaps try running it with a extra battery backup?

Hi:

I had the same problem and I finally got a bind by turning off bluetooth and data in my Samsumg Galaxy Note 2 and Note 4 or by putting the phone in airplane mode

i dont understand why you need to re bind, the binding is to link the wifi repeater with the camera on the unit and is usually done at the factory or should be done if the camera or extender are changed out.

out of the box all you need to do is power on the wifi extender, then on your phone open wifi and look for the SSID and connect to it, once done open the app and it should flash a green light at the top and show the SSID name.

I made the mistake myself of not realising that all i had to do was connect to the extender SSID on my phone and expected the app to see the wifi without doing so.

Also as Guillerno says put your phone in airplane mode as Android will try other SSID's if it cant make a connection to the internet.

I'd 2nd the little grey cable problem. The one with 4 wires at the top of the camera base pops out easily and the little wires even wiggle loose inside that connector. Check it carefully or even replace it. Cheaper than shipping the drone all over the place and spending months waiting.

Also both the WiFi unit and the Repeater have similar overheating issues. There's a good thread here on adding some extra cooling to each unit. That helps a lot - not for existing problems but to prevent burn-out's in the future.

Maybe it's not the official way of doing things but I find if I change up the sequence it helps. Just from trial and error - I turn on the Drone first. Wait a bit. Turn on the Extender. Let it blink a bit. Turn on the remote. Then I turn on my phone, link to the extender. Works for me.

rbhamilton said:
I turn on the Drone first. Wait a bit. Turn on the Extender. Let it blink a bit. Turn on the remote. Then I turn on my phone, link to the extender. Works for me.

You might want to turn on the remote first to avoid a sudden fly-away with no controller connection when you turn on the drone. At least that's what I have read somewhere, so I only power up the bird after the remote is on. Probably very unlikely to happen, but I don't chance it.

crash1sttime said:
i dont understand why you need to re bind, the binding is to link the wifi repeater with the camera on the unit and is usually done at the factory or should be done if the camera or extender are changed out.

out of the box all you need to do is power on the wifi extender, then on your phone open wifi and look for the SSID and connect to it, once done open the app and it should flash a green light at the top and show the SSID name.

I made the mistake myself of not realising that all i had to do was connect to the extender SSID on my phone and expected the app to see the wifi without doing so.

Also as Guillerno says put your phone in airplane mode as Android will try other SSID's if it cant make a connection to the internet.

I have to rebind every once in a while. Not sure why.

I always turn off bluetooth out of habit
rbhamilton said:
Turn on the Extender. Let it blink a bit. Turn on the remote. Then I turn on my phone, link to the extender. Works for me.

Horrible idea man. Always, always turn on the remote first. And always turn remote off after turning quad off.

5) Binding Successful 
6) Go to camera on App

Few other things:

Even though this might be an old thread and an old issue, I just need to share the solution I found after hours and hours of utter frustration with the Phantom Vision 2+…

We've had the exact same problem as Guardguy and several others:

5) Binding Successful 
6) Go to camera on App

But one thing that we overlooked was that we had switched the WIFI-module (Guardguy mentioned having it switched at a repair centre, and we switched it ourselves).

When you "bind" the modules, what you're actually doing is telling the wifi extender to connect to the wifi-module (in the drone) at the address written in QR code. You scan the QR-code for an address, the phone/tablet tells the wifi-extender to connect to a wifi-module on that address, and then the wifi-extender does some rebooting procedure (this is where the wifi suddenly disappears, blinks, and reboots) and then everything should be connected, right?

Only problem is that we've switched that wifi-module, and with it the address written in QR-code on the box becomes obsolete.

Solution: Make sure to bind to the address that's written on the new wifi-module! (And not to the old QR-code that's probably still on your box)

Since we bought and switched our overheated wifi-module ourselves, we got two extra stickers with QR-codes for the new MAC address in the bag it came in. So we stuck one on the box to replace the old QR-code, and if we ever need to re-bind it, we just use that one!

If you haven't got any stickers for the new wifi-module address, you'll be able to find it on the actual wifi-module itself inside the drone. Simply unscrew the top cover (careful not to pull off any wires! Check out Removing DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Case Top Shell to be on the safe side!), and read the "MAC Addr" written on a little sticker on the top of the wifi-module.

Then bind you're wifi-extender (via the app, as usual) to the new address, and follow the normal procedure of setting up your drone.

Hopefully someone finds this useful (I sure know I did)!

Good luck, and happy flying! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4