PV2+ issue, does yours do this?

Reaction score
I was out flying today and lost orientation so I switched into home lock and pulled back on the stick. The quad was not moving directly back towards me so I gave it some power to gain altitude and then used the ipad to get oriented and back towards home. When this happened I was in att mode. I got in closer and decided to see what quad was doing. I realized that if I was in gps mode and went into home lock when I pulled back on the stick it came directly towards me no matter what orientation it had, but if I was in att mode when I went into home lock when I pulled back on the stick the quad would head towards me but severely to my left. I was flying all day with 9+ satellites and no issues at all except this. I completed a compass calibration at the beginning of the day.
Can someone else give this a quick test?

GPS Atti. Mode is DJI's name for what is commonly referred around here as GPS Mode.

So to be clear there are three modes:

GPS Atti. Mode
Atti. Mode
Manual Mode.

samd012 said:
N017RW said:
According to this you must be in GPS Atti. Mode for HL operation/flying:

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... on_Control

There is no way to be in gps atti mode, when you enter atti mode you leave gps mode. I was under the impression that home lock should still work though.
When in H/L on S2 toggle and ATTI on S1 toggle, the phantom will fly backwards based on its current orientation (not back to you). It has to be in GPS mode on S1 to fly backwards to the "home point"

H/L is GPS Dependant. C/L only needs compass to work.

When in H/L on S2 toggle and ATTI on S1 toggle, the phantom will fly backwards based on its current orientation (not back to you). It has to be in GPS mode on S1 to fly backwards to the "home point"

H/L is GPS Dependant. C/L only needs compass to work.

Gotcha, not the way I thought it worked, makes sense though. I had never used HL in ATT I guess.

Home lock can only werk in gps mode and can not work on att mode. HL depends on GPS-guidance which by defenition is not available in att mode.
Reading the manuals would have told you that.!

aartsf said:
Home lock can only werk in gps mode and can not work on att mode. HL depends on GPS-guidance which by defenition is not available in att mode.
Reading the manuals would have told you that.!

I believe he has read the manual. He just didn't understand it by what it was that he read.

I can completely understand why someone would want to fly backwards based on the location of the main antenna on the quad. But to attempt to do it as a means for returning home is more related to not knowing as we've seen here. What anyone reading this should take from it is to read the most current manual.

I use the Return To Home feature religiously! I prefer to wear out a switch then to deal with the extra controller work, plus battery use. I use the S1 switch in Naza mode, and in Phantom mode I just switch the controller off until the quad is near 120ft altitude. At that point I power the controller back on and guide the quad down the rest of the way manually. Btw, it can be fun while in 20-30mph wind gust.

Yeah but the beauty of home lock is that you can orient the camera in any direction while ur cruising for home !

djczing said:
Yeah but the beauty of home lock is that you can orient the camera in any direction while ur cruising for home !

I must have skipped a class. How do you orient the camera left, right & diagonal? Btw, please share how to see behind as well. That would be epic!

I was flying yesterday, and my bird (Juliette III) was doing all kinds of weird stuff:

1 - couldn't get to the phantom LAN until I turned off every other transmitter in the house (first time for that!). Actually, the last time I had flown, everything was normal.
2 - three batts that had been charged the day before would throw three red lights when I tried to start the motors, which would then not start. I took this to be a low batt signal.
3 - only after taking a batt right off the charger would the motors start - if you ran two minutes and then shut down, it would no longer start the motors.

I was able to finally fly, but when I cam in, I hooked up to the Assistant and ran a CHECK IMU STATUS, which came back with a message similar to IMU REQUIRES RE-CAL or something like that. I let the SW do it's thing and when it was done, re-checked all 4 batts that had not started the motors, which they all did. I re-started all wireless devices and was instantly able to re-acquire the bird IN THE HOUSE. I'm pretty sure there issue was the IMU, because I flew today and I was able to do pretty much anything I wanted, except stay out of the trees (thank goodness DJI build them tough!)
You might want to re-cal the IMU. I realize it's a shotgun approach, but if it fixes it, who cares?

fly safe

WW

Wldwsel said:
I was flying yesterday, and my bird (Juliette III) was doing all kinds of weird stuff:

1 - couldn't get to the phantom LAN until I turned off every other transmitter in the house (first time for that!). Actually, the last time I had flown, everything was normal.
2 - three batts that had been charged the day before would throw three red lights when I tried to start the motors, which would then not start. I took this to be a low batt signal.
3 - only after taking a batt right off the charger would the motors start - if you ran two minutes and then shut down, it would no longer start the motors.

I was able to finally fly, but when I cam in, I hooked up to the Assistant and ran a CHECK IMU STATUS, which came back with a message similar to IMU REQUIRES RE-CAL or something like that. I let the SW do it's thing and when it was done, re-checked all 4 batts that had not started the motors, which they all did. I re-started all wireless devices and was instantly able to re-acquire the bird IN THE HOUSE. I'm pretty sure there issue was the IMU, because I flew today and I was able to do pretty much anything I wanted, except stay out of the trees (thank goodness DJI build them tough!)
You might want to re-cal the IMU. I realize it's a shotgun approach, but if it fixes it, who cares?

fly safe

WW
Full IMU calibration is underused and under appreciated. It fixes many flight problems while at same time fixing a lot of gimbal problems.

I wanted to add that when using the HL, the Phantom will come back to its home position when pulling back on the flight stick until it reaches approximately 60' away and then automatically switch to CL. In other words, it will return with whatever the "face" orientation until 60' away and then it will fly backwards from its orientation when it took off if you hold the stick back. Please correct me if this is wrong.

flyNfrank said:
djczing said:

I must have skipped a class. How do you orient the camera left, right & diagonal? Btw, please share how to see behind as well. That would be epic!

I'm not entirely sure are you being sarcastic here(it certainly has that tone). If you were, then this should be an explanation for others ;)

Yes the camera itself can not be moved left or right. But what he meant was is that when you are in Home Lock or Course Lock mode, you can yaw with your phantom and it will not have an influence on the direction you are flying. For example you might be in home lock, so pulling your right stick towards you and simultaneously do whatever you want with the left stick. The bird should fly straight to you whether you yaw or not.

Conquistador said:
I wanted to add that when using the HL, the Phantom will come back to its home position when pulling back on the flight stick until it reaches approximately 60' away and then automatically switch to CL. In other words, it will return with whatever the "face" orientation until 60' away and then it will fly backwards from its orientation when it took off if you hold the stick back. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Exactly. But if it faced directly south when you powered up and course lock direction was recorded, then if you are returning from south directly with home lock, it would switch to course lock but you would not notice the difference, it would continue straight to you. A bit odd explanation :shock: :? :mrgreen:

samd012 said:
I was out flying today and lost orientation so I switched into home lock and pulled back on the stick. The quad was not moving directly back towards me so I gave it some power to gain altitude and then used the ipad to get oriented and back towards home. When this happened I was in att mode. I got in closer and decided to see what quad was doing. I realized that if I was in gps mode and went into home lock when I pulled back on the stick it came directly towards me no matter what orientation it had, but if I was in att mode when I went into home lock when I pulled back on the stick the quad would head towards me but severely to my left. I was flying all day with 9+ satellites and no issues at all except this. I completed a compass calibration at the beginning of the day.
Can someone else give this a quick test?

You were experiencing this:

(6) When flying in Home Lock mode, if any of the following situations happen, then the system will quit Home Lock flying and automatically enter Course Lock flying. The aircraft will fly in Course Lock using the earlier forward direction.

a) The aircraft fly’s within 10m range of the home point.
b) You toggle the control mode switch to the ATTI. Mode.
c) The GPS signal becomes bad (The GPS signal LED is blinking Red twice or three times).

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... on_Control

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4