PV2 Drag racing

Reaction score
We had been watching the videos and learning about these PV2 for a while now. We started of with learning on some 50$ quads and they were really fun. Lots of demolition derby in the house with them since they had cages. We finally pulled the trigger on the PV2. I flew it about 5 times and it was easier to fly than the non GPS quads that we learned on. My buddies arrived and it was time to fly 2 at a time on the golf course fairway. It was a sunset flight and the weather was good, but a little windy. We did some racing up and down the fairway at about 30mph. Took some cool photos and videos. While drag racing up an down fairway one of us was at 30 feet or so and the other around 15 feet for safety of course. We were pretty stoked that these things handle so well.

The batteries were in need of a charge and it was time to eat anyways. Went inside and put the batteries of charge. About three hours later it was time to fly again. The moon was really bright so we figured what the hell. In the course of charging batteries and eating dinner we also consumed about a six pack a piece. What could possibly go wrong, right?

You guessed it. We made the noob mistake of flying at the same altitude while racing to the green and back. I think we only made it about 125' from us and we saw it coming. There was that moment where we tried to create distance between them but they were like magnets. It was a mid-air collision the race was so tight. They met and "space docked" at about 15' altitude. They fell to the ground and tumbled along the fairway.....we both ran over to see the carnage. There was none. We each had a broken prop, that was it. Both flew fine after replacing the props.

We had no intentions of shenanigans like this as we never read anything about it and it just seemed like it would be fun. It was fun and we can't wait to do it during the day when we can get it on video, minus the crash of course. I will say that these things are pretty tough and very happy overall with the purchase.

Wow........I thought only a ******* and an Idiot would drag race $1200 UAVs on a golf course at night.........

I guess I am one too then. I could totally see myself doing that....

Sorry to hear about the crash, glad the damage was inconsequential, do you have video or pics that you'll post?

BOAISY said:
Wow........I thought only a ******* and an Idiot would drag race $1200 UAVs on a golf course at night.........

Wow bro..harsh. I guess you were never in college with a little beer on board doing foolish things that you might regret later but enjoy the hell out of at the moment. I don't know exactly what golf carts cost but i'm sure more than $1,200 and I know more than one guy who has done one crazy thing or another in them and some even got totaled. No one was hurt. Harmless spontaneous fun. Better that then two hot rods racing down a public street (nobody has EVER done than before either).

Lighten up...

JJ

Please point me to any of the video you have on this. I'm a promoter of drag racing by way of the internet and I'm very familiar with the industry and those involved. :cool:

As long as you only do risky things that can damage your own stuff you're basically free to do so. It's your money. Was there enough light so you could be certain nobody else was there to fly into?

Having said that there will always be the issue that alcohol will impair your judgement so deciding what is safe and what isn't in such a condition holds a certain risk in itself.

It's aviation guys. Even at this scale.

myvrodrocks said:
People don't golf in the dark...
A golf course isn't intended for drag racing quadcopters either. Who knows what other people decide to get up to there after dark. :mrgreen:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4