PV2 can't do IMU calibration

Reaction score
Everyone talks about doing the IMU calibration, but my PV2 with updated firmware and newest assistant software has never let me do an IMU calibration, it always reports "not needed...." when I click on the button. Is this normal? Is the IMU calibration done as part of the advanced calibration (I ended up doing the advanced hoping it did). My compass is calibrated, no crashes, but my PV2 does the toilet bowl circling on hover, about a 10 ft diameter even with 11 sattelites in gps mode.

I had the exact same symptoms 2 days ago, I went through every calibration, followed all the vids. etc., but upon my third attempt, the only thing I did differently was I let it acclimate to the outside temps for 15 minutes. Indoors its 70*F, and outdoors it was 9*F,...........so perhaps as it was adjusting to the cold, it flies perfectly since.

What about the inability to do an IMU calibration? Always says "not needed", won't let me do it.

Re toilet bowl, the nazam v2 manual on pg 28 says that you have to rotate the gps antenna the opposite direction of the toilet bowl direction (this is under the gray material in the top of the pv2), haven't seen anyone suggest that here, maybe it doesn't apply..

reALIGNed said:
I had the exact same symptoms 2 days ago, I went through every calibration, followed all the vids. etc., but upon my third attempt, the only thing I did differently was I let it acclimate to the outside temps for 15 minutes. Indoors its 70*F, and outdoors it was 9*F,...........so perhaps as it was adjusting to the cold, it flies perfectly since.

Is this a stumper? Just trying to find out what can be done when assistant software always reports that IMU does not need calibration.

wworrall said:
What about the inability to do an IMU calibration? Always says "not needed", won't let me do it.

Re toilet bowl, the nazam v2 manual on pg 28 says that you have to rotate the gps antenna the opposite direction of the toilet bowl direction (this is under the gray material in the top of the pv2), haven't seen anyone suggest that here, maybe it doesn't apply..

reALIGNed said:

I just got my P2V not long ago as well. It would appear that the application has specific tolerance levels for when it recommends that you perform a IMU calibration. If you hover your mouse over the "?" while on the Tools tab of the Assistant software, you'll notice some specifications.

As long as the readings that the P2V is providing are within those specifications it's going to say that the calibration isn't required. This does not, however, preclude you from performing a basic calibration by pressing "Basic Cali" or "Advanced Cali" as needed. Just press the appropriate button and the Calibration will proceed. Be sure to have the Phantom on a surface that is 100% level with no vibrations during the calibration. It's very sensitive to either of these things.

MedX172 said:
I just got my P2V not long ago as well. It would appear that the application has specific tolerance levels for when it recommends that you perform a IMU calibration. If you hover your mouse over the "?" while on the Tools tab in the Assistant software, you'll notice some specifications.

As long as the readings that the P2V is providing are within those specifications it's going to say that the calibration isn't required. This does not, however, preclude you from performing a basic calibration by pressing "Basic Cali" or "Advanced Cali" as needed. Just press the appropriate button and the Calibration will proceed. Be sure to have the Phantom on a surface that is 100% level with no vibrations during the calibration. It's very sensitive to either of these things.

Do either of those calibrations include calibrating the IMU?

Also , besides a flat vibration free surface, do you have to worry about nearby metal objects during either calibration like you do when doing the compass calibration?

thanks btw

Ive had the same issue for weeks. It says cali not needed, but i do it, and it still toilet bowls and doesnt fly straight. Ive calibrated IMU and compas MANY times. Had a few bad crashes in beginning and discouraged as its not getting better. Also, when i do advanced calibration, it ALWAYS says MC too warm, let cool for 5-10 minutes and retry. Says it even if its been sitting for days, i calibrate anyway and it seems to do it. But still not flying right

AerialJerseyDevil said:
Ive had the same issue for weeks. It says cali not needed, but i do it, and it still toilet bowls and doesnt fly straight. Ive calibrated IMU and compas MANY times. Had a few bad crashes in beginning and discouraged as its not getting better. Also, when i do advanced calibration, it ALWAYS says MC too warm, let cool for 5-10 minutes and retry. Says it even if its been sitting for days, i calibrate anyway and it seems to do it. But still not flying right

advice from newbie:

Mine is getting better.

Re the MC to warm message, that is a bug. Powercycle the pv2 and try advance cal again, it should finish. only do this on a truly flat surface and no bouncing or vibration of the surface during calib.

Also, make sure you are calibrating compass with no metal object on you or around you and that you follow the instructions exactly, it is easy to mix up the 2nd vertical rotation. Mine only TBEs for a few minutes now and mostly if windy, flying around a little helps. It also is flying nearly straight.

I did turn up my vertical gain a little bit to 150% in the software because it was going up and down to much in gps mode, and that helped too.

If the gps and compass are confusing the pv2 and it isn't behaving, switch to atti mode and the gps will stop trying to control the pv2, it will stay level, but you have to control the position horizontally and vertically with the sticks.

i cant finalize the advanced calibration... i am using all the last drivers, and NEVER, until now, get a correct compass calibration on my P2V (6-10 clicks + 360o horizontal + 360o vertical). ALWAYS receive an hot problem in MC, so i skip it and the green bar never finish... now i am stuck because the app says that i need to calibrate and i can calibrate... the drone dos not turn on the engine anymore, and keep blinking the yellow led below..... terrible for a us 1200 stuff.... more terrible is the dji support... God.
i leave in brazil so i do not have any support and cannot give back the drone

emilioasl said:
i cant finalize the advanced calibration... i am using all the last drivers, and NEVER, until now, get a correct compass calibration on my P2V (6-10 clicks + 360o horizontal + 360o vertical). ALWAYS receive an hot problem in MC, so i skip it and the green bar never finish... now i am stuck because the app says that i need to calibrate and i can calibrate... the drone dos not turn on the engine anymore, and keep blinking the yellow led below..... terrible for a us 1200 stuff.... more terrible is the dji support... God.
i leave in brazil so i do not have any support and cannot give back the drone

You can ignore the "MC too hot" message, that's a known bug in the software. Just click past it and run the full calibration again until it finishes.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1