PV2 behavior

Reaction score
Just got a pv2, have had about 4 successful flights. After the first flight did some research and updated all the firmware including taking the 4 screws out and flashing the controller. took it up after the firmware updates and I'm not sure if anything I'm about to say is even related to the firmware, because I never tested any this. I noticed that when I landed it, I let it sit on the ground idling. My intent was to let the battery drain down a lot before shutting it off. As it was sitting there, it slowly started to increase the throttle on it's own and would have tilted over on it's side, had I not pushed the throttle down, anyone have this happen?

thanks,

yeah, pretty sure. I landed it and pushed the throttle all the way down, and the motors instantly dropped way down like you would expect. I let it sit there for awhile just idling.... and after a bit, it started increasing the throttle all on it's own without having any controller input what so ever. it was getting ready to take off, but not straight up, it would have fallen over on it's side, had I not pushed the throttle stick down.

wfo211 said:
Just got a pv2, have had about 4 successful flights. After the first flight did some research and updated all the firmware including taking the 4 screws out and flashing the controller. took it up after the firmware updates and I'm not sure if anything I'm about to say is even related to the firmware, because I never tested any this. I noticed that when I landed it, I let it sit on the ground idling. My intent was to let the battery drain down a lot before shutting it off. As it was sitting there, it slowly started to increase the throttle on it's own and would have tilted over on it's side, had I not pushed the throttle down, anyone have this happen?

thanks,

I have had the same issue present: sitting on the ground, rpm increases without controller input or shutdown. I have also adjusted the throttle to avoid a slow takeoff aka cow tipping-like incident, with propellers!

i also have this happening.

"Sometimes after a flight, i land and put the motors in idle after a shutdown. Then i notice that after a minute or so the Phantoms motors starts spinning faster and faster from the idle speed, until it tryes to take off and tips over. I can counteract it by taking the throttle all the way down. But if i leave the trotlle again in the middel it goes faster, again. This never happens before a flight, only after.

Any idea to what is causing this issue?

All firmware updated. IMU cal before every flight. Phantom Vision."

I've had the same experience. Just wondering if the phantom is still responding to GPS signals being received or variations in the onboard accelerometers, gyros, and compass. If you plug the phantom into your computer, you can see some of the values floating around the zero point and changing continuously even when the phantom is sitting perfectly at rest on a flat surface. The software might be responding to these variations in the sensor data.
There is also the infamous software glitch that speeds up one motor when you perform the shutdown with both controls down and inboard causing the phantom to tilt over towards the back. I think most people have found that using the throttle shutdown method (left control fully down) is the best way to avoid prop damage.

Hi All,

New to this forum and to the PV. I've had the same problems on landing.... After landing, the PV tips over while in idle. Have to initiate CSC immediately upon landing to shut the motors off and avoid damage. Have lost three props in the process. Other symptoms: after landing and placing the motors in idle, the front two motors begin to speed up and the tip over starts; tip over only occurs after flying for awhile; same problems taking off / landing on concrete or grass; noticed this behavior after doing a firmware update on the PV (tx firmware was current). Compass calibration done in a park, away from metal structures and powerlines.

Have limited my take off/landing from grass until there is a better understanding to the behavior.

Any thoughts?

The same thing happened to me, I was trying to test a faulty battery by draining it so I set my phantom down inside. Started her up in idle left the room and a minute later I hear this horrific noise, I come back phantom vision is upside down spinning totally destroyed props and with the camera cleanly detached. No home point marked, 0 gps signal and I never used throttle since powering up. Definitely something DJI should address!

cb1 said:
I've had the same experience. Just wondering if the phantom is still responding to GPS signals being received or variations in the onboard accelerometers, gyros, and compass. If you plug the phantom into your computer, you can see some of the values floating around the zero point and changing continuously even when the phantom is sitting perfectly at rest on a flat surface. The software might be responding to these variations in the sensor data.
There is also the infamous software glitch that speeds up one motor when you perform the shutdown with both controls down and inboard causing the phantom to tilt over towards the back. I think most people have found that using the throttle shutdown method (left control fully down) is the best way to avoid prop damage.

The throttle shutdown method is exactly what you should do. A CSC is NOT the way to shut the bird down once you have her on the ground...

-slinger

Reactions: dirkclod
BJay said:
The same thing happened to me, I was trying to test a faulty battery by draining it so I set my phantom down inside. Started her up in idle left the room and a minute later I hear this horrific noise, I come back phantom vision is upside down totally spinning totally destroyed props and with the camera cleanly detached. No home point marked, 0 gps signal and I never used throttle since powering up. Definitely something DJI should address!

I thoroughly understand what you were attempting. The safest way to accomplish this is to take the props off the Phantom first...

-slinger

wfo211 said:

thanks,

There's enough evidence in this thread to suggest that there might be a problem with letting the PV sit idle, after a flight, with the props turning. I'm going to test this as well.

Thank you guys for reporting this problem...

-slinger

When checking out my heli, I use a piece of wood through the skids and a house brick on top of the wood at either side. That way you can check all functions at higher rotor speeds without it tipping over or taking off - also the fastest way to discharge your battery safely.

My P2V arrived last night [Fri 13th] now all set up and heading off to find a sports ground to calibrate the compass and maiden flight. Just hope I'm not going to post another disaster thread later! Low and slow today.....

If I may make a suggestion (if you haven't done so already) login to DJI and submit reports. Copy your dealer as well. It -does- sound like you guys have found a software/hardware bug, but if the info doesn't get back to DJI's factory it may not get resolved. What you've posted here is perfect, just cut 'n paste the gist of it. In your report, also let 'em know you're running v1.05 firmware in both the PV & TX Controller. It takes the factory about a week to reply, so don't expect an immediate answer.

Here's a direct link (requires login) to file a report with DJI:
http://www.dji.com/tech-support/report-problem/

PS - Celt in Siam, Glad to hear you finally got your PV, have fun!

iDrone

iDrone said:
If I may make a suggestion (if you haven't done so already) login to DJI and submit reports. Copy your dealer as well. It -does- sound like you guys have found a software/hardware bug, but if the info doesn't get back to DJI's factory it may not get resolved. What you've posted here is perfect, just cut 'n paste the gist of it. In your report, also let 'em know you're running v1.05 firmware in both the PV & TX Controller. It takes the factory about a week to reply, so don't expect an immediate answer.

Here's a direct link (requires login) to file a report with DJI:
http://www.dji.com/tech-support/report-problem/

PS - Celt in Siam, Glad to hear you finally got your PV, have fun!

iDrone

Excellent advice... It really does look like these guys have tripped over an undocumented issue..

-slinger...

Just purchased a Brand new P1 v1.1.1

A year and a half later (since the last post in this thread), I'm encountering this exact same issue with my new P1.

VERY glad this info is here. But wondering if there are people with P1's who DO NOT encounter this issue under the same conditions or has everyone else learned to shut off the motors once landed on the ground immediately? (That's what I've come to learn is the way to handle this).

You got it...
Always shut off motors once you have landed.

You got it...
Always shut off motors once you have landed.

+1
now I'm used to my v1.1.1 I always hand catch so when you do that you have to use the left stick pulled right back to shut the motors off before lowering it down past your face, this way you shouldn't have the problem

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31