PV "Drift" Question

Reaction score
Compass is calibrated. Status lights show slow green flash. When I get it up in the air, tracking 13 satellites, I get a "drift". Sometimes it goes forward drift, sometimes to the side, sometimes back. It is considerable enough (4-5 foot increments) to warrant constant adjustment. It did not do this on the first few flights. Any ideas?

Have you re calibrated the compass? Mine holds one position pretty tightly, but I do make sure to do the compass dance before each new flight. Also, are there any obvious threats of interference near by? Does the same thing happen when you go to a larger open area? Just my initial thoughts, good luck and good flying.

Rich

Thanks for the response. I did an initial dance and started experiencing this issue, on top of a large dam with no, known interference, other than a flock of seagulls who took a particular interest in the PV. I shut it down and moved to another area and got the same drift. Is it recommended to calibrate before every flight then?

I would definitely re calibrate whenever my home spot has changed more than a few feet. It should only take a minute and you can never know when you might need that little insurance policy. Alps, one spot may have interferance, while another close by doesnt. It hould tell uou if calibration fails in that case, but ifylu didnt do the dance, you wouldnt know that movng it made any difference.

I'd say the drift is surely not normal, so something's going on. If the drift is always in the same direction, make sure the blades are all good. Maybe try the second set on, just to rule that out. On the cheap little quad I bought to practice on before getting the phantom, a little issue with one blade definitely made it drift a lot. Other than that, and the possibility of something really being wrong in the hardware or software, I can't think of anything obvious that would cause the drift! Both switches were in the upper most position right? Good luck resolving this, and keep us posted in case others have the same issue.

Rich

I get drift as well, in various directions. I always calibrate before each flight (I have also tested failsafe and was really glad when it worked!)

At the moment, I'm not too concerned about the drift I am getting, it isn't as much as the OP, only a couple of feet, and I know that my blades are a bit damaged following a couple of heavy landings. I don't want to change them over yet, as I'm sure there are a few more clumsy landings to come as I learn to fly this (got a cheaper quad on the way to learn on now though) and I won't mind messing up already scratched blades!

The Vision specs state it should hold station horizontally to within 2 meters (6 to 7 feet). Mine seems to perform slightly better than this (about 1 meter, even in stronger winds) - but I always make sure to switch on the Vision on as level a surface as I can find and then leave it completely alone until I have satellite lock and green LEDs. Only then do I pick it up to do the compass dance or to move to final take-off position, etc. It may not be necessary but it can't harm to give the gyros maximum opportunity to get to know where plumb horizontal is and settle.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj