PV Cases...

hey guys just got my duratool case today, it looks like only the top layer is the pluck and pull foam.. how did you guys cut the other pieces of foam? i dont have a hot wire to do my cutting :( any alternatives? lets see what else... oh yeah is your phantom landing gear touching the plastic on the bottom cuz this thing is tight with the top foam installed... ill work on slimming that down.. just want to get some tips from the pros! thanks guys!

I used a kitchen knife with a serrated blade, and sawed out the foam. Not the neatest, but it worked. After i did mine i saw a vid where the guy used an electric knife.

Before I did any cutting, I made a template out of a stiff piece of card stock cut exactly to the size of the foam and made sure that the card fit smoothly the inside of the case. I sketched what I figured I needed as cutouts on the card stock, cut the card out and fitted the card to the component I wanted the cutout to fit. Each major component separately on the same piece of card. When I was satisfied I had what I wanted, then I used the card as a guide to cut the foam, each piece separately. I used the same card for all 3 pieces to be sure they matched.
I used the pluck and pull as the middle layer of the 3 pieces. If the pluck and pull tore a bit when cutting it I used some contact cement to put it back together. It worked pretty good.
After I had trimmed out pieces, I sliced thin layers of those pieces to put under the feet of the aircraft so they would be somewhat cushioned from the case directly. A thicker piece to support the camera. I did the same for the controller, as I elected to cut it into the foam on its side. See my pic earlier in this thread.

From the vid I saw, I would advise an electric knife if one is available, tho I am happy with what I managed to do with the serrated kitchen knife.

Go slow, plan ahead, and be sure you have what you want before you start cutting the foam, and do each piece separately.

This worked for me…Hope this helps.

Paul

I lucked out and got this second hand from the EMS division at the fire house. Its a Pelican 1560 case. Bomb proof and lockable. They switched to soft bags and no longer use these. A little scuffed up but it works and the size is great. I may go to a pull and pluck in the future but this is working for now.

Attachments

• PV2 case a.JPG
    PV2 case a.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 618
Regarding the landing skids - yes, they are resting on the bottom of the case in mine. I use two excess bits of pick&pluck foam stuck down on the bottom to form a "cradle" for the camera to rest against. I also remove (by hand) some of the peaks from the egg crate foam on the lid to allow the top of the shell to be held firm but not too tightly. I also made small holes in the egg crate foam where the motor shafts are so they are not overly compressed but the arms of the Vision are still held secure. The foam pads on the bottom of the landing skids mean it doesn't move around. I've taken it in and out of the car plenty of times and nothing's moved around.

Pull_Up said:
Regarding the landing skids - yes, they are resting on the bottom of the case in mine. I use two excess bits of pick&pluck foam stuck down on the bottom to form a "cradle" for the camera to rest against. I also remove (by hand) some of the peaks from the egg crate foam on the lid to allow the top of the shell to be held firm but not too tightly. I also made small holes in the egg crate foam where the motor shafts are so they are not overly compressed but the arms of the Vision are still held secure. The foam pads on the bottom of the landing skids mean it doesn't move around. I've taken it in and out of the car plenty of times and nothing's moved around.
I had a similar height issue with the smaller Duratool case. I ended up putting a sheet of 1/4" foam across the entire bottom, so there's at least some padding for the legs.

ok i got it mostly set up now... i would like to experiment with other configurations... anyone know where we can get more foam? preferably pluck foam?

also did you guys use any kind of glue for the 3 layers of foam? what kind?

jimre said:
Pull_Up said:
I had a similar height issue with the smaller Duratool case. I ended up putting a sheet of 1/4" foam across the entire bottom, so there's at least some padding for the legs.

I've been meaning to ask this... Does anyone know where we can get replacement foam for the Duratool cases???

Tanx...
-slinger

coloradosky said:
I ordered this case yesterday:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/2 ... nfirmEmail

$55 with shipping!

Will let you know how it works out.

I decided today that I will be finding a smaller case that WILL be allowed carry on and moving my P2V operation to it before a flight to TX next month. This one is big, and (I don't think) worth the time savings of leaving the blades on. I guess that way I could go back and forth, or I gain a nice padded tool case :roll: ...

Migmon said:
ok i got it mostly set up now... i would like to experiment with other configurations... anyone know where we can get more foam? preferably pluck foam?

If you're on Seattle eastside (guessing from your cool Snoq. Falls video) there's a store-front foam shop on Northrup Way in Bellevue - their website is http://www.friendlyfoam.com. They didn't carry pick & pluck, but they sell sheets in various thickness, cut to size.

I found a place online that sells pick & pluck in multiple sizes & thickness - http://www.foambymail.com. I just ordered some today, we'll see how quickly they can process & ship the order.

Received a shipping confirmation today from go pro cases the vision case should arrive tomorrow :) is it sad that this excites me? lol

Although I have a set up already that I basically was free..I don't think it will work on the airlines. Im going to Hawaii in April and I AM bringing the PV2 with me. FAA regs and there web site state a 25lb max and 9x14x22 size to fit overhead or underneath the seat in front of you. The 1560 Peli I am using is just too big. My weight is good with the bigger case I am exactly 20lbs on the dot fully loaded with 2 batteries and all the accessories etc. So I am eyeballing the 1550 and a RUCPAC back pac conversion so that I can move easily during hiking etc. It aaaaaalmost meets the regs. Its juuust a smidge wide by an inch or so. I'm hoping that it'll slide. I have to cruise over to the airport to check and pick some brains. Luckily not too far from where I am. It's interior dimensions will be snug for sure but I THINK it will work...

1550 case http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... _Foam.html

RUCPAC http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

JustJames said:
Although I have a set up already that I basically was free..I don't think it will work on the airlines. Im going to Hawaii in April and I AM bringing the PV2 with me. FAA regs and there web site state a 25lb max and 9x14x22 size to fit overhead or underneath the seat in front of you. The 1560 Peli I am using is just too big. My weight is good with the bigger case I am exactly 20lbs on the dot fully loaded with 2 batteries and all the accessories etc. So I am eyeballing the 1550 and a RUCPAC back pac conversion so that I can move easily during hiking etc. It aaaaaalmost meets the regs. Its juuust a smidge wide by an inch or so. I'm hoping that it'll slide. I have to cruise over to the airport to check and pick some brains. Luckily not too far from where I am. It's interior dimensions will be snug for sure but I THINK it will work...

1550 case http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... _Foam.html

RUCPAC http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

..having looked into this- any issues with carrying on those LiPo batteries? I can just see it when the TSA tells me 'I should have known better'...

Still have to ask officially. My Aunt is a pilot for American Airlines and I'm gonna pick her brain but I have heard (on this forum) that they prefer you to have them with you vs in the bottom of the plane where they could create a bigger problem if something went south. But I will be looking into it.

James

Didn't seem to bother UPS when they air-freighted over the first batch of Visions that were released to the UK. Saw a picture from my dealer of a LOT of boxes arriving at his warehouse, each containing a Vision battery (with Vision attached, of course!) that had been in the cargo hold. But yes, people have reported no problem travelling with several lipo batteries in hand luggage - either from an airport security or airline standpoint.

jimre said:
Migmon said:

If you're on Seattle eastside (guessing from your cool Snoq. Falls video) there's a store-front foam shop on Northrup Way in Bellevue - their website is http://www.friendlyfoam.com. They didn't carry pick & pluck, but they sell sheets in various thickness, cut to size.

I found a place online that sells pick & pluck in multiple sizes & thickness - http://www.foambymail.com. I just ordered some today, we'll see how quickly they can process & ship the order.

yep cool thanks!!

Those cases on MCM Electronics are sold out and won't be available till late January. I have checked everywhere on line as well and no one has any. They are a hot commodity yet I'm not going to plop down hard cold cash and have to wait 45 days and then hope I get one. Make sure you get the 22 inch case so you have room inside, otherwise you will be so tight you will need to remove two props.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20