Puzzled by range limits.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Until recently, I was unable to travel more than 200 meters from home point without automatic RTH kicking in, .

A very helpful member of this forum (Dirklod) suggested I check my antenna connection in the controller which I did and it was indeed loose. A quick push on the connector and a blob of hot glue and my range has shot up to 500 meters in nearly all directions.

Before I found the problem, I ordered an ARGTEK antenna which has now arrived but I haven't fitted it yet because.....

1. maximum range in the go app is set to 500 meters, is this the same for you guys in the USA? This suggests to me that I am in a CEE area, but I know for a fact my P2 and P1 are FCC? I am in New Zealand.

2. Is there any point fitting the ARGTEK if the system is going to block me at 500 meters anyway? the on-screen warning said to adjust the distance setting in the app if necessary but it simply won't go above 500 meters.

3. Do you distance junkies in the USA get the same warning messages at 1000 meters and push on regardless?

I have no great desire to shove my sausage fingers back into the controller, aided by my less than perfect peepers, if the I am still going to be restricted to 500 meters.

Thanks

Reactions: dirkclod
I think the FCC/CE thing is just to regulate RF transmission power. The actual distance may vary depending on the environment (interference, obstructions, etc.)

So for a given RF power, using a souped up antenna should, in theory, increase your range.

1. maximum range in the go app is set to 500 meters ...
2. Is there any point fitting the ARGTEK if the system is going to block me at 500 meters anyway?
You will only get stopped at 500 metres if you have the Distance Limit enabled in the app .. otherwise there's no limit at all.
i-JknPbjk-L.png

You will only get stopped at 500 metres if you have the Distance Limit enabled in the app .. otherwise there's no limit at all.

Arghhh! by Setting the max distance button on, I am effectively setting my own distance limits,not setting it to the maximum distance! Believe it or not, I have a very high IQ but when it comes to computortronics, I can trip right over the bleedin obvious and still not see it.

Thanks mate, feeling a bit stupid now ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
Am in the uk and I can easy get 1250m still have full signal only just install dbsmod, will go further when am next out

Reactions: martybabe
I got 880m in open wide area, but unfortunately I dropped my remote control on the ground and broke antenna. And it was not the worst thing. When antena broke, it pull out it`s connector on the chip. I went to a local DJI partner store and they repair antenna and soldered a antenna cable to a chip. But it was not over. They cuted my antenna cable by mistake and I only got 30m of range, and again I took my RC to them. They replace cable in to new one, resoldered it to a chip, and I think it affect my range distance. 400m is max I can get, unfortunately.

More testing for me Today then. Now that I've sorted out the App settings I need to know what my stock range really is before fitting the Argtek.

To be honest, I don't really 'need' more than 500 meters range like I don't really 'need' a 120 horsepower motorbike but it is nice to know what's available should I choose to use it :D

I got 1650 feet no problem over water getting 2500 feet put on my argtek well things have doubled but haven't lost signal to scared to fly out any farther cant see it

I got 1650 feet no problem over water getting 2500 feet put on my argtek well things have doubled but haven't lost signal to scared to fly out any farther cant see it

I hear that mate, flying beyond the distance that you where you can can actually still see the drone is a leap of faith for me. I do find that switching to map mode on screen really helps here, lets face it , one field looks much like another through the camera and open water in camera view just adds to the disorientation eh.
Oh well, all part of the adventure. Sure is a good feeling when you hear the motors coming home.;)

I think the 500m limit you are referring to is your ALTITUDE limit. 500m is the max for any of us. Horizontal limits are a separate setting & may be completely disabled so you have no limitation other than control range. Make sure you have distance limits unchecked. You have to turn off Beginner mode to modify these settings.

Hey guys,

Until recently, I was unable to travel more than 200 meters from home point without automatic RTH kicking in, .

A very helpful member of this forum (Dirklod) suggested I check my antenna connection in the controller which I did and it was indeed loose. A quick push on the connector and a blob of hot glue and my range has shot up to 500 meters in nearly all directions.

Before I found the problem, I ordered an ARGTEK antenna which has now arrived but I haven't fitted it yet because.....

1. maximum range in the go app is set to 500 meters, is this the same for you guys in the USA? This suggests to me that I am in a CEE area, but I know for a fact my P2 and P1 are FCC? I am in New Zealand.

2. Is there any point fitting the ARGTEK if the system is going to block me at 500 meters anyway? the on-screen warning said to adjust the distance setting in the app if necessary but it simply won't go above 500 meters.

3. Do you distance junkies in the USA get the same warning messages at 1000 meters and push on regardless?

I have no great desire to shove my sausage fingers back into the controller, aided by my less than perfect peepers, if the I am still going to be restricted to 500 meters.

Thanks

I think the 500m limit you are referring to is your ALTITUDE limit. 500m is the max for any of us. Horizontal limits are a separate setting & may be completely disabled so you have no limitation other than control range. Make sure you have distance limits unchecked. You have to turn off Beginner mode to modify these settings.

When I first got the APP, I turned on the distance limit button and adjusted my limit to 100m then 200m and so on until I was happy at 500m.

When I wanted to go further I couldn't set it beyond 500m and assumed that's as far as I could fly, having long since forgotten that I had checked the distance limit button myself, months ago , it was just a senior moment with the APP.

All good, thanks for your input, waiting for the weather to clear now so I can check the stock range, if I don't trip over myself :rolleyes:

When I first got the APP, I turned on the distance limit button and adjusted my limit to 100m then 200m and so on until I was happy at 500m.

When I wanted to go further I couldn't set it beyond 500m and assumed that's as far as I could fly, having long since forgotten that I had checked the distance limit button myself, months ago , it was just a senior moment with the APP.

All good, thanks for your input, waiting for the weather to clear now so I can check the stock range, if I don't trip over myself :rolleyes:

I did the same thing a 1/2 hour ago I went out and upped my distance from 400 to 500 to scout a pond I want to fish. I hit the limit and wasn't there yet so went into settings but I couldn't adjust above 500. I didn't realize the distance button.

I kind of wish that we could use the limit to set what we want for a max distance.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I did the same thing a 1/2 hour ago I went out and upped my distance from 400 to 500 to scout a pond I want to fish. I hit the limit and wasn't there yet so went into settings but I couldn't adjust above 500. I didn't realize the distance button.

I kind of wish that we could use the limit to set what we want for a max distance.

Lol, that makes me feel better.

Don't be scared. When I went long. 7400 feet. I had not seen it in 10 mins. I told myself. I know my rth will work. So I just kept going finally when I hit the 2300m mark. I hit rth. And 10 mins later it was overhead. Longest 10 mins ever.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Too bad we can't adjust the p3 like the p2v with the phantom assistant program on the laptop that would help a lot of these issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers