Putting the gimbal lock back on!

Thanks for the review.. Sorry to hear of your disappointment. Though my use of the P4 maybe different and less demanding than yours, it's certainly disconcerting.

But it's got me thinking.. Your environmental conditions and app/craft configurations may have significantly contributed to the stats that you got. The f/w I'm guessing is in its early stages so may improve with further updates. Moreover I've notice the people that have replied in your review thread keep on about modifications/hacks they are using etc.. Though I am a complete novice with the Phantom I can't help think all these parameters are beyond what DJI is expecting users to do with the P4. As with all manufacturing testing, they are laboratory tests that don't reflect real-world - I factored this in to my decision and thought I'd be happy with just at lest 20m flight time.

Sorry I'm not offering any answers here.. I simply have no real experience with the P4 yet, but I will let time and updates be the real test. If I do have to return my P4 at a later date I don't think DJI can argue about the 7 day money back, as that is not enough time to test and wait for DJI to rectify f/w issues.

Food for thought..
I used no modifications in the initial P4 testing, using only the P4 Tx, except for adding a windsurfer, just like I have used on all my stock P3P TX's.

Before getting the FPVLR v2 Tx mod and battery mod for the P3P, the same tests were performed with my P3P over 6 months, with all stock equipment plus a windsurfer. I have a total of over 250 flights in the same area over the last 9 months, so I have a very solid frame of reference for any comparisons.
If anything, my environmental conditions at sea level with an unobstructed LOS for 5 miles are ideal for a best case scenario on any aircraft.

DJI advertises an "enhanced Lightbridge" for the P4 which delivers stock control up to 3.1 miles, including full FPV video. Instead, on its maiden flight, my P4 crapped out, with full RTH initiated, at just 6,700 feet, at roughly 400 feet AGL. My fully stock original W323 P3P is solid to 3 miles at 250 feet AGL over the same route.

In all fairness, today, I'll be using the FPVLR v2 modded Tx paired with the the P4. Based upon prior experience with the W323A P3P, which has virtually the same video specs on its aircraft power output, the control will reach 5+ miles, due to the significantly boosted Tx control, but the video from the aircraft will still become unstable after 3 miles. The P4 battery life will prevent full long range testing, but I will fly only in P-GPS without Sport mode and without collision avoidance to maximize flight time. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic. :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues