Putting the gimbal lock back on!

Reaction score
I'm finding this a bit hairy! The gimbal seems to be very fragile and worried the gimbal lock could damage it when putting it back on. I just tried to line up the best I can and then push the aircraft downwards onto the gimbal lock… How are other people doing it?

Unless you're shipping it, or the case is going to be thrown around, don't bother putting it back on. The gimbal can handle the everyday bumping around. IMO. I have been using gimbals since the P1, before there were any locks.

Unless you're shipping it, or the case is going to be thrown around, don't bother putting it back on. The gimbal can handle the everyday bumping around. IMO. I have been using gimbals since the P1, before there were any locks.

I was under the impression that the gimbal lock should always be put back on regardless.. So I presume this is not standard practice unless of course as you said, the device has been shipped somewhere?! Just curious what others were doing.

Are you refering to the lens cap come gimbal lock, then I would use it as it protects the UV element and the gimbal.

Perhaps it'll get easier to fit one it losens up with use.

All of my drones before this P4 were using GoPro cameras. With those, I just did not worry about a lens cap because when not flying, it was in the case. I'm going to treat this P4 the same - not really worried about capping the lens.

Are you refering to the lens cap come gimbal lock, then I would use it as it protects the UV element and the gimbal.

Perhaps it'll get easier to fit one it losens up with use.
I'm talking about the Gimbal lock as the title implies

I put mine back on after about half my flights, just depends on how I'm transporting. I find that if you clamp one leg and then test the positioning, assuming everything is lined up then I grab the camera and just lightly slide it into the lock and clamp the other foot. No issues.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

it definitely could have been designed better. i expect their will be some good third party ones soon.

The rubber on the bottom of the skid pads has 2 indents on each side to help you correctly reposition the new gimbal guard on each side. Flip the quad over and use them, as Fallguy suggested above. After doing it a couple of times, it will seem easier.

Reactions: Sinisalo
Going to put a couple black marks on the bottom of the skids to align it better /easier .
That works, too. I had writing all over the P3P gimbal protector to figure out how to put it back on correctly! Eventually, I learned. It was better than struggling with all the after market devices, which all took great force to either put on or take off, on a very fragile component!

The rubber on the bottom of the skid pads has 2 indents on each side to help you correctly reposition the new gimbal guard on each side. Flip the quad over and use them, as Fallguy suggested above. After doing it a couple of times, it will seem easier.
Could you post a pic.. I didn't see anything on mine. But I guess it's just as easy to make your own!

UPDATE: those indentations you were talking about are not markers.. They don't even line up with the gimbal. It looks like they're just part of the grip and are not in parallel to each other. With the gimbal lock on (obviously) I've just used a marker pen!

UPDATE 2: Looks like there is movement taking the Gimbal lock on/off - my markets are now not lined up ?!! WTF!

You know what? I really don't think DGI intended for this to be on and off all the time… It scratches against the lens; bangs the gimbal system… It's a hard piece of plastic banging against the gimbal every time it's taken off and on. I'm just going to chuck it away and just put a soft piece of foam at the bottom of my case for transport.

I think the GL should have been make of a stiffened rubber as to not jar the gimbal and potentially scratch the lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fallguy
Could you post a pic.. I didn't see anything on mine. But I guess it's just as easy to make your own!

UPDATE: those indentations you were talking about are not markers.. They don't even line up with the gimbal. It looks like they're just part of the grip and are not in parallel to each other. With the gimbal lock on (obviously) I've just used a marker pen!

UPDATE 2: Looks like there is movement taking the Gimbal lock on/off - my markets are now not lined up ?!! WTF!

You know what? I really don't think DGI intended for this to be on and off all the time… It scratches against the lens; bangs the gimbal system… It's a hard piece of plastic banging against the gimbal every time it's taken off and on. I'm just going to chuck it away and just put a soft piece of foam at the bottom of my case for transport.

I think the GL should have been make of a stiffened rubber as to not jar the gimbal and potentially scratch the lens.
It can't scratch the lens itself, because the lens has a removable UV filter on it. That's what you are referring to. However, since I am returning my P4 for fraudulant advertising claims, I'll only need to install the gimbal protector once more...:cool:

It can't scratch the lens itself, because the lens has a removable UV filter on it. That's what you are referring to. However, since I am returning my P4 for fraudulant advertising claims, I'll only need to install the gimbal protector once more...:cool:
What fraudulent claims are you referring to?

What fraudulent claims are you referring to?
1. Misrepresented control and video range of 3.1 miles under ideal conditions.
Reality was 6,700 feet before signal was lost completely, where I currently get 3 miles every day with my stock P3P! :rolleyes:
2. Misrepresented battery flight times of 28 minutes.
Reality was 16 minutes with 17% battery remaining, where I currently get 18 minutes with all my my P3P batteries! :rolleyes:

Pure, unsubstantiated, fraudulent marketing hype! :eek:

Reality was 16 minutes with 17% battery remaining, where I currently get 18 minutes with all my my P3P batteries! :rolleyes:

Pure, unsubstantiated marketing hype! :eek:

I got 22 minutes at around 20% battery remaining, what was your percentage of battery at 18? Also where you only in GPS or where you using sports and other modes?

I can't comment on signal range, but how did you test the range, where you around trees, lots of houses, etc?

1. Misrepresented control and video range of 3.1 miles under ideal conditions.
Reality was 6,700 feet before signal was lost completely, where I currently get 3 miles every day with my stock P3P! :rolleyes:
I've only done 1 flight and I wasn't going any further away from myself than 86m horizontally and about 42m vertically. I did 4 take offs and battery was at 47% after 15mins. I was static much of the time. Does this sound any better than yours? Maybe you were making manoeuvers that were draining power?

Please see my other post for a more complete answer to your questions:
GadgetGuy's First Flight Impressions of the P4
Thanks for the review.. Sorry to hear of your disappointment. Though my use of the P4 maybe different and less demanding than yours, it's certainly disconcerting.

But it's got me thinking.. Your environmental conditions and app/craft configurations may have significantly contributed to the stats that you got. The f/w I'm guessing is in its early stages so may improve with further updates. Moreover I've notice the people that have replied in your review thread keep on about modifications/hacks they are using etc.. Though I am a complete novice with the Phantom I can't help think all these parameters are beyond what DJI is expecting users to do with the P4. As with all manufacturing testing, they are laboratory tests that don't reflect real-world - I factored this in to my decision and thought I'd be happy with just at lest 20m flight time.

Sorry I'm not offering any answers here.. I simply have no real experience with the P4 yet, but I will let time and updates be the real test. If I do have to return my P4 at a later date I don't think DJI can argue about the 7 day money back, as that is not enough time to test and wait for DJI to rectify f/w issues.

Food for thought..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31