"Pushing the Cows or Animals to..."

Reaction score
Hearding Cattle with Drone (I saw in youtube in manual mode)

Hi, does anyone know if there is an application for drone (Phantom or Mavic) or if it not, if it can be developed that can drive the cows to specific point? The idea is that in a given paddock, the limits are marked as a virtual grid and the gate is marked where you want to carry the cows. The drone should be able to recognize the animals and "push" them towards the gate. Possibly there is an algorithm that will learn in how the cows reacts and the drone make the movements to take them where it wants. Also this would be useful to look for and to make “bring down” the cows of mountainous places. Thank you very much for your comments! Regards, Martin. (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Last edited:
If someone developed that, they'd be so rich.

The drone would have to know when to back away so as not to cause a pile up at the gate if the cows rushed.

Reactions: JxBx80
Hearding Cattle with Drone (I saw in youtube in manual mode)

Hi, does anyone know if there is an application for drone (Phantom or Mavic) or if it not, if it can be developed that can drive the cows to specific point? The idea is that in a given paddock, the limits are marked as a virtual grid and the gate is marked where you want to carry the cows. The drone should be able to recognize the animals and "push" them towards the gate. Possibly there is an algorithm that will learn in how the cows reacts and the drone make the movements to take them where it wants. Also this would be useful to look for and to make “bring down” the cows of mountainous places. Thank you very much for your comments! Regards, Martin. (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Part of the key to stockmanship is relieving pressure when they go where you want. I don't see a good way to automate it but maybe train them to follow.

Reactions: Chopperimage
I know some of my cows got a little high headed when I flew the drone at them. I didn't push it to see how close I could get before they spooked.
I think that using one to check and count cows could be invaluable. I have heard of farmers that do this while drinking their morning coffee at the nice warm kitchen table.

I don't know how to automate it but as a pilot I'd do it just the way I would from the back of a horse. Apply pressure to move them in the direction you want and then ease up as they move away from you. There would be a lot of back and forth and sliding side to side and learning how the cows react to drones but I could see how it could work. Problem is the limited time you have per battery unless you have small pastures, automatic gates etc. get/train a good cow dog and let him do the major work, you'll have a friend for life!

I'm looking to develop this app - have a drone recognize cattle and then complete the herding process. The system can use a phantom 4 pro to kickoff the project. If someone has a use case and a willing rancher then let me know.

The cows around here don't pay my drone much attention. I do check them and count them with it.

I was pushing cattle today with the drone. Good for doing a head count and to bring them closer to home. Once they are close enough I just use the pail of oats for the remainder.

Reactions: farmernz
I'm looking to develop this app - have a drone recognize cattle and then complete the herding process. The system can use a phantom 4 pro to kickoff the project. If someone has a use case and a willing rancher then let me know.

How many cows you will get into the gate within +-20minutes of battery time? How many drones you need to get 1000 cows into the gate? Great idea if you have unlimited money or you will teach all the cows follow the drone to the gate.

I think if you train them to associate food or maybe sweet feed with the drone they will follow. We always use our Kabota to feed and work. When our cows here the Kabota they come a runnin.

I make noise with a pale empty or full they will come to the feeder. But when they are out by the swamp and can't hear the pale then I push them closer with the drown. Then finish with the pale. Works great. Far away and I dint need to feed then I just fly over and do a count. Fun help on the farm with the drown. A drown and

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj