Pushing left controll stick down during flight.

Reaction score
What will happen to the aircraft if during the flight, we pushed the left controll stick down to the end for more than 3 sec? I ve seen in dji video, when the aircraft has landed, pushing the controll stick down to the lowest position for more than 3 sec will stop the engine. I wonder if the same will happen during the flight let say 100 ft above the ground, the aircraft will fall and crashed. Anybody have do it ...

a/c will lower until it hits the ground than the motors will stop after 3 seconds

When the left stick is in the full down position, your motors will only shut down if your Phantom stops moving for 3-5 seconds. Your motors will stop if you do a CSC though.

You might very well crash when holding the left stick down for more than 3 seconds once the bird enters Ring Vortex State and cannot recover.

You might very well crash when holding the left stick down for more than 3 seconds once the bird enters Ring Vortex State and cannot recover.
The descend rates are suppose to be tailored to not allow that to happen. Keep some horizontal movement while descending and you'll be fine. ;)

Reactions: Jcoreyemt
I am not aware of any P3 ever suffering from RVS. As far as I have read, the P3's motors are mounted at a slight angle specifically to avoid this.

I am not aware of any P3 ever suffering from RVS. As far as I have read, the P3's motors are mounted at a slight angle specifically to avoid this.
It is something amenable to experiment - you first....

I thought this motor angle was caused, not by design, but because of cracks in the mountings!

I thought this motor angle was caused, not by design, but because of cracks in the mountings!
You mean the cracks are actually a 'feature'? Do you work for IBM by any chance?

:cool::cool:

I am not aware of any P3 ever suffering from RVS.
You should still be aware of VRS. Someone just posted a crash thread here a few days ago. VRS caused the crash.

It is something amenable to experiment - you first....
I have experimented from 400' straight down to touchdown, many times. Couldn't get it in to a VRS. Two things will get you out, power and location. If you have enough power available, the rotors will get you out of it. You could also slide any direction about 2 feet and get yourself out of the sinking column of air.

In short, the P3 in a max rate (2m/s) descent has a hard time entering a VRS.

SD

Please explain more.

My preferable way for decent is down with the 'left' stick with forward horizontal movement with the 'right' stick. I've always been afraid of bringing the 'left' stick down all the way out of fear for a CSC. If I'm understanding this thread correctly that would NOT be the case right?

Last edited:
My preferable way for decent is down with 'left' stick with forward horizontal movement with the 'right' stick. I've always been afraid of bringing the 'left' stick down all the way out of fear for a CSC. If I'm understanding this thread correctly that would NOT be the case right?
I can confirm. Bringing the left stick all the way down while flying will NOT initiate a CSC. I have tested the max descent rate numerous times, while stationary and in forward flight. Both sticks down and in the corners for 2 seconds will initiate a CSC.

Reactions: Mario_SB
I can confirm. Bringing the left stick all the way down while flying will NOT initiate a CSC. I have tested the max descent rate numerous times, while stationary and in forward flight. Both sticks down and in the corners for 2 seconds will initiate a CSC.
Awesome! Thank you for confirming this. :)

When the left stick is in the full down position, your motors will only shut down if your Phantom stops moving for 3-5 seconds. Your motors will stop if you do a CSC though.

Really good question and useful answer. Good to know. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav