Push on ND filters vs threaded filters. Does it matter?

Reaction score
Look at ND filters on ebay and I see some that are a push on style that go over the factory UV filter. It seems a lot more convenient and easy to me. (like this one HERE) Are there any negatives to these I should be aware of over the threaded ones? Anyone have a recommendation? Looking for an ND8 filter but willing to buy a set if the price is right (around $30).

Thanks!

NormanNormal

The push-on filters work just fine. The only downside I found is they are a little heavier than the screw-on filters. It's going to be tough to find a set of good filters for $30. Many filters are selling for $20+ each.

You will need ND4,8,16 and 32. Buy a full set.

This one has 5g weight, little higher than stock filters 2g. If they go over the uv filter, then additional 5g should be compensated by counterweight. But where do you see that they go over uv lens?

Though I'm not very happy with QC part of Tacho filters but would still suggest you to go for them. :) I use them.

But where do you see that they go over uv lens?
I always use the push-on filters along with the UV filter. Most would not attach properly without it.

No difference other than convienience for quick install removal with the slip ons. The only worry with the slip on filter is if you slam the camera from forward to straight down in flight and the filter is not on tight, it could slip off. Highly unlikely, but possible.

The only worry with the slip on filter is if you slam the camera from forward to straight down in flight and the filter is not on tight, it could slip off.
I've only tried Polar Pro and SRP slide-on filters. Both fit tightly and would definitely not fall off mid-flight.

I have a set of these from "Phantom Filters". They work great and add no measurable weight to the front on the camera. They fit right into stock screw on/off lens cover. When i ordered mine it took a while to get them, 3 weeks, but I am happy with the product.

You definitely want a set as you will need to change the darkness based on conditions and time of day.

Phantom Filters

Reactions: NormanNormal
I always use the push-on filters along with the UV filter. Most would not attach properly without it.
I don't think push on type will drop off during flights and they are easy to change. I use stew on type and also don't take time to replace them and in addition I don't add another weight to the camera.

Finally it's individual's preference.

They are cheap. Order one. If you like it order more.

I have a set of these from "Phantom Filters". They work great and add no measurable weight to the front on the camera. They fit right into stock screw on/off lens cover. When i ordered mine it took a while to get them, 3 weeks, but I am happy with the product.

You definitely want a set as you will need to change the darkness based on conditions and time of day.

Phantom Filters

Awesome value, just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Also thanks to everyone for their responses.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj