Pursuing a refund - Flyaway not found...

You have to follow the same protocol as everyone else.. Please contact support and file a claim. We are not here to issue refunds or replace craft.

with all due respect, I read your post asking him for the log.

Why ask and then igmore him?

Why be snotty when you do reply, like a childish hissy fit.

We know you don't give refunds. but you should respect the folks that pay your wages ,

YOU initiated the comment and then complain when someone calls you out.

SO WHAT DID the LOGS show YOU? Blade Strike!

Reactions: atki and J0ck0
First, I didnt jump to anything. I just asked a question. Thus my NOT knowing why it displayed that way. Yes, mine is similar until the point where it appears I took off. Seeing that my logs look similar does disprove that bit of evidence. A simple answer would have done everyone well. Much more so than a pathetic attitude! No-one can explain why these fly-aways are happening. Yet it seems, at least in my experience, that when someone actually puts forth the efforts to perhaps solve the problem they will be met by banter and BS. Its no wonder you (the community) cant solve problem!

I have not seen anyone try and solve the problem. The members are simply pointing out what they see. My reference has been with reasons why the dji should peel some Ben's.

There are so many "fly-aways" because some have foolishly taken the Phantom for granted. And the #1 reason would be a lack of calibration of the compass and R/C......because they are not clearly told to do so the way they should be told to do it. Example; the P3 system knows if you are at a different location from the last flight. It could have the voice command suggest you calibrate prior to launching.

with all due respect, I read your post asking him for the log.

Why ask and then igmore him?

Why be snotty when you do reply, like a childish hissy fit.

We know you don't give refunds. but you should respect the folks that pay your wages ,

YOU initiated the comment and then complain when someone calls you out.

SO WHAT DID the LOGS show YOU? Blade Strike!

Is this really necessary? Blade was asking him to post the logs just like any of us would. That doesn't mean he's going to make the call himself. There's a process.

I have not seen anyone try and solve the problem. The members are simply pointing out what they see. My reference has been with reasons why the dji should peel some Ben's.

There are so many "fly-aways" because some have foolishly taken the Phantom for granted. And the #1 reason would be a lack of calibration of the compass and R/C......because they are not clearly told to do so the way they should be told to do it. Example; the P3 system knows if you are at a different location from the last flight. It could have the voice command suggest you calibrate prior to launching.

I could only add, not many have an understanding of pre flight checks... I have been lucky and experienced actual small aircrafts flight and pre flight routines in my younger years. The P3 deserves the same respect. Thanks Frank

Civil air Piper cubs and my Father's 4 seated skylark.

Reactions: III% Streve
Is this really necessary? Blade was asking him to post the logs just like any of us would. That doesn't mean he's going to make the call himself. There's a process.
That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. No one asked, much less implied that Blade do anything at all. BLADE asked for a log. The log was posted. There was never a response. If Blade wanted a log then its fair to assume, by anyone with two brain cells to rub together, that his intent in asking for it was because he wanted to see it. I thought some of the newer members acted like children... its obvious they are only following examples!

I can totally accept lack of experience as a major contributor. From what Ive seen in these last two flights though, calibrations did NOT cause this. Nor did a loose prop or poor battery management. Some of us here are trying help in answering questions. Some arent the most basic to answer. The last thing anyone needs is a prick coming in telling everyone how stupid they are and using the reason as JUST CUZ!

Reactions: dlbyers
Some two months ago, I had a similar flyaway immediately upon launch, with a wild left hook happening upon simply elevating the craft straight up. Mine crashed into a roof deck out of view, stopping the flyaway. It was due to a bad compass error caused by a metal firepit under the wooden platform I was launching from. The aircraft was properly compass calibrated, but the launch point was throwing off that compass. After additional launches from the same platform which were normal, I noticed a pattern that allowed me to predict before launch whether the flight would be erratic or normal. Flights within minutes of each other could be radically different. Simply swapping out a battery depleted during testing for a successful flight after a successful short flight, with a fresh battery to fly with, would result in an erratic flight because a new erroneous compass reading would occur upon power up with a different battery.

The pattern that would predict an erratic flight was that the red arrow on the map displaying the aircraft orientation would be off by some 70° to the right! Aircraft then always flew to the left. As long as the aircraft nose agreed with and was inline with the red arrow on the map, a normal flight would result.

Two takeaways from this:

1. Always check to make sure the red arrow of the aircraft orientation on the map agrees with reality before launching.
2. Be absolutely certain there is no metal anywhere near or under your launch point, as it can and will throw off the compass resulting in erratic flight, which can lead to crashes and potential flyaways.

I was lucky! I figured this out before I lost my P3P, and only the 4 props were damaged in the roof crash, because the CSC allowed me to stop the still spinning motors before they caused the aircraft to cartwheel off the roof to the concrete 30 feet below!

So, never launch without checking the red arrow on the map first!
My bet is it would have saved the OP from a flyaway! :cool:

Last edited:
well there were some flights that immediately P3 pulled to the right or left . When this happens take control and land P3. Then try a compass calibration and try again.

In case that you experience P3 is taking altitude and you have no control then probably RTH has been activated accidentally or erroneous i.e bug. Then try to cancel RTH

well there were some flights that immediately P3 pulled to the right or left . When this happens take control and land P3. Then try a compass calibration and try again.

In case that you experience P3 is taking altitude and you have no control then probably RTH has been activated accidentally or erroneous i.e bug. Then try to cancel RTH
I agree. Only thing I would change in your suggestions is to verify red arrow direction agrees with reality on the map before launching, and if not, move the quad to a different area nearby and see if you can get them to agree. Then, if that doesn't work, try a compass calibration. Usually, the compass calibration is fine. It's the launching location that is problematic, even if you can't see the metal causing the problem. I launch from the top of an upside down cardboard box that I carry with me. Keeps the quad up off hidden metal in the ground, and away from debris, dirt, sand, and pebbles on the ground thrown up by the prop wash during takeoff. I then hand catch for a completely problem free landing.

Reactions: MattM123
So here's an update. My efforts have not resulted in finding the fly away done as of yet.

But I have heard back from my supplier who's said that logs have been passed to DJI. Lets see what happens...

Reactions: III% Streve
The last thing anyone needs is a prick coming in telling everyone how stupid they are

Your words, not mine. I've been called far worse. But be advised it is against forum policy. I won't do anything about it but another moderator might.

Not all incidents are clear as to their cause. And it's not uncommon that threads get taken on a wild goose chase when people suggest false conclusions. In this case, it is not clear what has happened. To infer the compass had a leading role in it is premature at this stage.

Leon, keep us posted on where it goes.

I get conversation getting off track. That isnt the issue. My point is that this dude lost his P3. He asked for help/ideas/assistance in possibly finding it and understanding what might have happened. This all to first better understand the situation, and second, to perhaps prevent it from happening to him again. The entire conversation, in regard to the compass, has been in response to the question of whether a compass error could have caused this. All future posts about the compass have been stated, and understood (Im willing to bet), as total speculation. The grounds that I have made my determinations, and the logic behind my theories are very concrete. Then you come along and in your short, disrespectful way, simple say I'm wrong... I further support my reasoning, and you again simply call BS.. Then the never ending games start. If you disagree then fine. If you want to contradict me that's great, but at the very least have enough respect for someone to justify your conclusions in a better way then simply saying.. no it doesn't work that way! I think its safe to assume that most everyone here is either here to help, or be helped. What YOU have been doing is counterproductive for one, and akin to a god complex to the other. If my calling you out on that gets me banned, then so be it. That only supports my opinion more. I'm not the only one that feels that way.. Im just one of the few that is big enough to state it!

Good grief people. This thread has devolved into a chest pounding intellectual pissing contest. Meanwhile, the OP has lost his Phantom and it would serve us all to know what happened.

The theories and ideas presented have all been good ones. Unless one of you is a DJI engineer, there is no telling who is right. If the only people who were allowed to share their thoughts in this forum were those with empirical data, it would be crickets on here.

Lighten up. Share and debate ideas in a respectful way. I love the PhantomPilots forum and I follow these threads to educate myself, but far too many threads are filled with pages & pages of this BS.

Sorry to hear about this. I learned quickly to always check my compass mod to make sure it's as close to 1500 as possible before I take off. Did you check yours?

Once I take off and do my checks that even if I fly near heavy powered PA speakers with magnets it will yaw a bit on it's own but nothing uncontrollable. Get away from them and it goes back to normal.

It does seem like a hardware fault to me and not compass. I do wonder what the compass mod was though when you took off.

That speed would suggest very high tail winds. I have never gotten over 45mph with a tailwind.
i don't believe that to be true. when i had a similar experience to his, my bird hit 57 mph (according to the app) with no wind.

So I've counted at least four instances described in this thread alone, including me, that say the bird took off and went up and leftward after takeoff. I'm sure there are more people with similar experiences because I've seen it in other threads. Can someone knowledgeable enough collect the necessary information from each individual case to analyze and make something out of it? I know it's a lot of work and if I knew anything about I'd do it. Maybe start a thread where people would report it and then ask them for all the logs etc. Could this be done in an organized fashion?

Sorry to hear about this. I learned quickly to always check my compass mod to make sure it's as close to 1500 as possible before I take off. Did you check yours?

Once I take off and do my checks that even if I fly near heavy powered PA speakers with magnets it will yaw a bit on it's own but nothing uncontrollable. Get away from them and it goes back to normal.

It does seem like a hardware fault to me and not compass. I do wonder what the compass mod was though when you took off.
I'm really concerned about flyaways now! Often times I fly to the edge of my range and get video signal error and rc range error. As long as the bird is operating properly up to that point is there ever an instance where the failsafe doesn't work?

It appears most flyaways are right when the drone starts up because of compass, IMU, or battery malfunction?

Reactions: Leon001
No I thought I would see some kind of error... But there was none. So without a crystal ball, I'm sorry I can not do much more. Support has different tools to analyze the data.

Pretty cool that you keep jumping to conclusions though. I will just stay away.

Good day!

And right here I think we might get some insight into the customer service culture at DJI.

Initial response starts out completely appropriate, but then devolves into snark. Directed at a DJI customer in a DJI-centric public forum. By someone who holds themselves out to be a representative of DJI. Awesome.

A little tip on customer service and/or service recovery...you may THINK a customer is being demanding and unreasonable, but you NEVER, EVER lash out in a public way. You gripe to your co-workers about it and put on your sunshine-and-rainbows face in public. If I were your manager, you'd be sitting across from me in my office undergoing a hardcore counseling session, at a minimum. You have, at least in my mind, driven home the (rightly or wrongly) presumed sentiment that DJI customer service is, shall we say, sorely lacking.

That being said, I can appreciate having someone knowledgable about the warranty process and tech specs of these quads being here to enlighten all of us Luddites, but it appears the OP may have had a legitimate failure, is asking legitimate questions, and a company rep cops an attitude? Whether the OP was out of line or not, I gotta tell you...a public attitude like this from a supposed DJI employee tells me all I need to know about where my dollars go for my next UAV purchase.

Whether he is right or wrong, and the evidence thus far certainly seems to suggest this was not operator error, I hope I'm not the only one that thinks you owe the OP an apology. Do your company a service and do it.

Back on topic, would switching to ATTI mode when behavior like this occurs possibly stop the quad, or would it likely continue flying with a mind of it's own? Just wondering if I might want to incorporate mode-switching into my crisis practice, just in case of emergency.

would switching to ATTI mode when behavior like this occurs possibly stop the quad, or would it likely continue flying with a mind of it's own? Just wondering if I might want to incorporate mode-switching into my crisis practice, just in case of emergency.
Yes, it's possible to recover from a flyaway type scenario by switching to ATTI. In fact, it's the only way sans running after your bird, jumping and grabbing a leg. Worst case, it doesn't work, but at least you attempted to recover.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20