Pure Luck ! Didnt come home.

You didn't ask me about the video fix app, but I used Grau Gmbh successfulle on a DJI P2V+ file that was corrupted by turning off the P2V+ while still recording.

schatz said:
You didn't ask me about the video fix app, but I used Grau Gmbh successfulle on a DJI P2V+ file that was corrupted by turning off the P2V+ while still recording.
Is it free? How much is it? Thanks.

New to this site, trying to learn as much as I can before purchasing , great vid , thanks for leaving all the height and speed stuff on it, that's pretty cool.

Only 6 minutes flight time? How much % was there on take off? The batterys sound at fault as once mine are charged i've used them a week later and there are still 4 bars on the battery.
I know you was in atti mode and out of LOS but could you not see it on the app radar?

rrmccabe said:
Slothead forgot to mention I tried the power cycle trick. Did not work. Catalina your logic makes sense and I think is spot on. I just assumed dji logic took into consideration the last few percent. That and 15 MPH going out and 60 coming back made me think I had it made. Lol. Will post video shortly.

Always go out with headwind. To do a range test its best that there isn't a lot of wind.
Assume that after all systems are checked you go out @ 95% battery left.
It starts auto descend @ 14 % but take 15 % to make calculation easy, that leaves you 80% of battery to play with.
If you go out on 95% - 40% = 55% for the middle mark and a point of absolute return.
You can also take in account the speeds, but i am to dump to make that calculation on the spot.
Even DBS who has the distance record doesn't like to heavy headwinds.
Check in the assistant your battery status and what the really capacity is of them.
Battery's do discharge by themselves but even week after i charged them they were still @ 97%.
Read some articles about storage and longer life of lipo's HERE

UKFlyer said:
Only 6 minutes flight time? How much % was there on take off? The batterys sound at fault as once mine are charged i've used them a week later and there are still 4 bars on the battery.
I know you was in atti mode and out of LOS but could you not see it on the app radar?

That would have saved it if he knew were the bird was.
The radar in the app would have told you, nice gadget BTW.
Nice video, and i am also dazzled by the 6min flight time.
I timed the 2 bat yesterday as i have a 3th faulty one and i got 2 x 14min after @ least a week i had charged them fully.

Let's get this straight-you take off with a suspect battery into the wind on a 4000' endurance flight-you can't see it-you loose control at 60mph and you don't know where it is-please correct me if I am wrong.
er- yes I call that responsible flying and I am sure this will certainly further our cause for more unmolested drone flying with the regulating authorities.
It is episodes like this which is driving our hobby headlong into obscurity,for goodness sake where is the common sense in all this.
I know you you started out with all good intentions but I haven't learnt anything from this story except how not to fly with the Phantom.
At least nobody was injured
Cheers

Good info guys.

To answer a couple questions.

UKFlyer said:

90%. I was moving around and had glare issue on phone. Main issue is I was on wrong row of trees coming back so I really was not lost (in my mind) until I hit the neighborhood and lost connectivity. Just happened pretty quick. If I had more battery (once again my fault) it would have been fine as I could have checked, radar, etc.

schatz said:
Perhaps a dumb question, how did you get the overlay with the flight data in your video? I'm very new and have seen this before but have no idea what to even search for.

thx

bob

Flytrex Core 2 and Dashware

srandall25 said:
I have the Marco Polo also. Glad to see it worked! I also have a corrupt video file from a crash a while back. I would love to get it working. Researched so many options. What program did you use that worked?

Was online deal. MP4repair.org

schatz said:

That was one that I tried but did not work for me.

And regarding comments about the battery. It was 90% at takeoff. I really would not consider it suspect (to me) as its common for all three of my batterys to fall off a little after sitting a few hours. I am going to give them all a good look today.

I was watching the battery bar at top and not the % on side after take off. The wind just took its toll.

I just thought DJI battery bar took into account distance/elevation and was fly time before heading home. I knew coming home it would be fast as I had the winds help. Just did not pan out to be the case.

madeinengland said:
I haven't learnt anything from this story except how not to fly with the Phantom.

Then madinengland, you did in fact learn something !

With 90% battery you should be getting more than 6 minutes flight time, have they been discharged/charged @ 20 cycles as dji recommends?

UKFlyer said:
With 90% battery you should be getting more than 6 minutes flight time, have they been discharged/charged @ 20 cycles as dji recommends?

I checked battery this AM and this particular battery has 14 charges on it. I think the other batteries are about the same as I think the V+ has about 50 flights across three batteries.

All I had time to look at was the # of charges and the cell voltage looked similar across the pack.

Anything else I should look at? I plan to run all three batteries down to 8% and look at them again.

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 297
rrmccabe said:

Edmund its a RF tracking device in case I lose it.

Which one do you have the RC one or the pet one? I ask because if it does not weight too much the pet one claims to last longer and is a little cheaper. Would you recommend this tracker? Which others have you investigated and why did you get this one? Thanks.

I have the pet one and honestly cant say if pet or RC is the way to go.

I chose it because of long battery life, good reviews on how durable it was and I did not want something that relied on cellular, GPS or phantom power to work as the batteries do pop out on these things on impact. Not to mention the battery is not going to last very long on the Phantom even it if did stay in.

I originally ordered a Flytrex Live based on simplicity but because of poor (and getting worse) T-mobile coverage in the US I cancelled the order.

The Marco Polo is something you can install and forget as long as you plug the transmitter in every few weeks. Its nice you can track for several days if needed.

kirbinster said:
Do you know how much the pet one weighs, and what impact it has on flight time. Do you have it strapped to the bird or mounting internally?

Its very light. I think the specs say 4.5 grams. I have the carbon fiber protector plate on the legs and just have it clipped on there.

I have noticed no difference in flight time with it.

rrmccabe said:
kirbinster said:
Do you know how much the pet one weighs, and what impact it has on flight time. Do you have it strapped to the bird or mounting internally?

Its very light. I think the specs say 4.5 grams. I have the carbon fiber protector plate on the legs and just have it clipped on there.

I have noticed no difference in flight time with it.

That must be the RC unit then as the spec on it says 12 grams, and the animal unit seems larger not smaller.

I don't have any way to weigh it but thought I read 4.5 for the pet.

Here is the mounting.

I just tried to look it up again and see weight discrepancies every where I look :) So really dont know the actual weight.

4.5 grams would be very light now that I think about it.

EDIT: Just read this.
collar tags measure approx. 2½” x 1¼” x 1″ and weigh only 1¾.

So that's about 50 grams.

Attachments

• 20140821_113000.jpg
    20140821_113000.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 300
Cool, so it is the pet one you are saying. Thus I can save some money and get longer battery life. What is the "tray" you have it mounted to? I would think that tray would adversely impact aerodynamics. I just ordered my bird on Amazon a few minutes ago, can't wait.

Just ordered the tracker, found it at https://www.petexpertise.com/ for $199 with free shipping (no tax either), was going to cost $220 at AmazonPrime :(

The "tray" is to protect the camera and ties the legs together too.

There are now plexiglass ones available for cheaper but I like the carbon fiber. It's very thin and does not seem to alter how it flies in the slightest.

Here the link. The seller is a member here and all around good guy.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20774&hilit=camera+guard

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj