Purchased my P3S today

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Well I bought a Standard today. I am coming from a P1 with GoPro. I REALLY wanted an Advanced but just couldn't justify the cost. With some credit card discounts and the 100 off today it will take my cost to below $500. I know it will be a HUGE upgrade over what I have now so I'm very excited.

I will report back with impressions and hopefully some good footage soon!

It is a great bit of kit and a lot of fun. It is good that you are coming from a P1. Flight is similar.

I got mine (Sam's Club special) on Wednesday. Finally took my first flight this morning. I'm happy with the flight but the app is ***. It kept disconnecting and I ended up not even using it and flew by sight. Also, I'm having issues getting my SanDisk 64GB Ultra card to format (it won't format in the P3S using the GO app - and won't accept the formatted card through other means). For now, I think I'll just stick with the 8GB card and offload the videos when I land and swap out the battery. On a related note, I was somewhat happy to read in the Adv/Pro forum area that they're having an issue with the Go app, too, even when using the USB cable.

Attachments

• Battery1.JPG
    Battery1.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 435
Got mine last week (with a credit yesterday to bring it to the black Friday cost). I agree. While waiting I watched all the DJI videos as well as many other drone video bloggers and read the online manuals. Got it in, did two backyard sessions to validate what I read and saw and was in the wild doing very cool flying today. Pre-order work, and being courteous go a long way to your enjoyment, and safety!!

I got mine ordered from Adorama for $500 and will be here Tuesday. Anyone who has theirs already have any inputs to how this stacks up to the Pro? At $700, it was a slightly better value I thought than the Pro for what you get... at $500, it seemed like a no brainer to me, though I'm still feeling a bit of remorse that I didn't spring for the Pro.

I got mine ordered from Adorama for $500 and will be here Tuesday. Anyone who has theirs already have any inputs to how this stacks up to the Pro? At $700, it was a slightly better value I thought than the Pro for what you get... at $500, it seemed like a no brainer to me, though I'm still feeling a bit of remorse that I didn't spring for the Pro.
How did you get it for $500?
I see it everyhere for $599.
I'm coming from and FC40 and looking for some feedback on the standard.

How did you get it for $500?
I see it everyhere for $599.
I'm coming from and FC40 and looking for some feedback on the standard.
Adorama had a $100 coupon. See it here from Newegg though for $500 Today, though I think this deal just ended as well. Highly recommend watching slickdeals.net. That's where I found the deal that I got yesterday and this Newegg one today. Here you go: Slickdeals: Searching for "dji phantom"

Hey Guys, Just ordered one myself, from Amazon, the Standard w/ an extra battery. First RC vehicle of any kind for me, so, well, we'll see how this goes ;-)

Next up, some kind of a tablet purchase, and since I've never had any experience with Apple products, I'm leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32 gb.

Have been watching YT's and been reading this forum, and absolutely plan on flying responsibly.

One quick question: You hear people talking about "sadly watching the bird fly away" (to some unpleasant doom I assume) but I thought the failsafe RTH is supposed to kick in if transmission from the controller is lost. Is that not always the case?

btw- any links to 'great read' threads, or 'good watch' YT's would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: mikep2323
Hey Guys, Just ordered one myself, from Amazon, the Standard w/ an extra battery. First RC vehicle of any kind for me, so, well, we'll see how this goes ;-)

Next up, some kind of a tablet purchase, and since I've never had any experience with Apple products, I'm leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32 gb.

Have been watching YT's and been reading this forum, and absolutely plan on flying responsibly.

One quick question: You hear people talking about "sadly watching the bird fly away" (to some unpleasant doom I assume) but I thought the failsafe RTH is supposed to kick in if transmission from the controller is lost. Is that not always the case?

btw- any links to 'great read' threads, or 'good watch' YT's would be appreciated. Thanks
Nice and congratulations! I'm going to use my Nexus 6p running android... 5.7" screen so we'll see how it goes. I love android for this kind of thing (also you can use the Litchi app - google it).

The "fly-away" is an issue with improper calibrations, though I'm sure multiple things cause them. RTH works great if the compass/imu is properly calibrated, but if not it can result in these kind of issues. I have yet to receive the 3PS I just bought though so maybe someone with experience can elaborate.

Nice and congratulations! I'm going to use my Nexus 6p running android... 5.7" screen so we'll see how it goes. I love android for this kind of thing (also you can use the Litchi app - google it).

Ahhh, "the Litchi app"... one more thing to learn about (and buy, if it looks like a 'must have'. We'll see.

I'm just hoping to get the basics down, before branching out into any 'advanced options'. ;-)

Look on the bright side Ray, if it somehow breaks or gets lost, you won't be out $1100, youll only be out $500

Reactions: Ray-Ban
Well I've received the Standard and I'm all setup from what i can tell. This thing has SO many features my P1 doesn't have. I won't have to blindly fly any more so to speak. I'm planning on trying her out this weekend. Compass has been calibrated, IMU is done. Everything seems to be ready. I also posted a review of a cheap case I got on eBay. It's a great case for the money. The only thing is the RC didn't fit so I made a few mods to it and it fits perfectly now. I'll report back again after my first flight!

The "fly-away" is an issue with improper calibrations, though I'm sure multiple things cause them. RTH works great if the compass/imu is properly calibrated, but if not it can result in these kind of issues. I have yet to receive the 3PS I just bought though so maybe someone with experience can elaborate.
It was my impression that the Litchi app does not work with the standard. Has this changed?

Oh that's a good question I'm not sure. They are the same from a software perspective so I don't know why it wouldn't unless the developer just didn't want it.
It was my impression that the Litchi app does not work with the standard. Has this changed?

Oh that's a good question I'm not sure. They are the same from a software perspective so I don't know why it wouldn't unless the developer just didn't want it.
Well, the standard uses 2.4ghz for the video. The pro and advanced use 5.8 for the video. the r/c control signal on the standard, is 5.8ghz, pro and advanced use 2.4. other than that no difference, but that's a big difference.

Well, the standard uses 2.4ghz for the video. The pro and advanced use 5.8 for the video. the r/c control signal on the standard, is 5.8ghz, pro and advanced use 2.4. other than that no difference, but that's a big difference.
Right... but we're talking about the app, not the radio. The Pro/Advanced/Standard ALL use the same DJI app; so logic would suggest another app would also be useable on all 3

The Litchi app developer indicated that DJI has not yet included the P3 Standard API's in the software development kit. So the P3S won't be supported until DJI updates the SDK.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20