Purchase regrets

Reaction score
Good morning. Glad to have found this forum. I am recently 107'd and moving forward with getting commercial opportunities lined up. In researching drones, I have known about the Phantom series for awhile but have just now seriously started delving into different aspects of it.
I am surprised to be finding so many recent threads on flyaways, crashes, hardware and firmware issues. It is honestly making me have serious second thoughts about owning one of DJI's products.
Am I just seeing all the negative because the positive comments simply are not existent? Does this aerial platform really have all these issues as indicated here? How could they stay in business with such a horrid reputation on the forums? In planning my initial purchase, was considering a few extra batteries-but they can't even get that right??

Complaints need to be taken with a grain of salt. Here's some pointers...

- 99.9999% (probably 100%) of "fly aways" are pilot error. I can only think of two verifiable cases of genuine fly aways due to no fault of the pilot's. These are complicated aircraft and need to be treated as such. You need to be able to fly VLOS before you can safely fly them.

- Likewise, crashes are 100% pilot error because far too many people rely on fallible, automated systems. Far too many people make stupid flying decisions on flying locations and where/how they attempt to maneuver the drone.

- There are indeed hardware and firmware issues. The P4P+ is nearly useless garbage, do not buy one. The latest Go4 app version has massive disconnect issues on Android. All DJI drones are loaded with bugs and quirks you need to learn to work around, but can be worked around. Part of the issue is also the rampant misinformation circulated by largely clueless owners all over the internet. Want to avoid firmware issues? Don't update if your drone is working just fine. Want to avoid app issues? Don't update if your app is working fine. Most people have an update fetish and they pay the price for it.

DJI stays in business due to lack of competition, but that's rapidly changing and they're in for some bad times head if they don't get their QC and customer service together.

My P4P has functioned just fine for commercial use. Here's how I see it as a commercial platform...

Pros:
- Excellent camera quality for the money
- Plenty of automated flight app support (Litchi, Drone Deploy, Altizure, etc.)
- Good flight times
- Compact, quick setup
- Incredible range
- 360 OA is great for shooting real estate in tight areas where you need to get close to trees and don't have a visual observer

Cons:
- Outrageous battery prices
- Looks toy-ish and unprofessional compared to something like the Typhoon-H
- Most smart flight modes are useless: active track sucks, waypoint mode needs you to fly the waypoints ahead of time, POI needs you to actually hover over the point rather than just select it on the map, i.e. it just really doesn't do much of what it's marketed as being able to do
- No obvious PRO markings. A typical client can't see the difference between a P4P and P3S, goes back to it not looking very professional

Last edited:
Good morning. Glad to have found this forum. I am recently 107'd and moving forward with getting commercial opportunities lined up. In researching drones, I have known about the Phantom series for awhile but have just now seriously started delving into different aspects of it.
I am surprised to be finding so many recent threads on flyaways, crashes, hardware and firmware issues. It is honestly making me have serious second thoughts about owning one of DJI's products.
Am I just seeing all the negative because the positive comments simply are not existent? Does this aerial platform really have all these issues as indicated here? How could they stay in business with such a horrid reputation on the forums? In planning my initial purchase, was considering a few extra batteries-but they can't even get that right??

What are you currently flying?

This really is a forum and you are mainly going to hear about the gripes and complaints here. In this price range their are no other choices that compare tbo! I had two P4's last year and they were flawless in operation! Upgraded to the new P4P back in Nov. It is one awesome machine as well. The camera is really really good for a 1500 dollar investment. Flyaways are almost nonexistent with DJI in the last couple years. I owned one Yuneec Blade Chroma for about 3 months. The GPS disconnected on my twice and that was enough of that for me. These are complex machines for sure. And it seems you never stop learning about what they can and will do. If you have never owned DJI yet you'll love their product I'm pretty sure.

Reactions: chopperguy
Frank Wang (Owner of DJI) has admitted that it's "not a perfect product." ( Bow To Your Billionaire Drone Overlord: Frank Wang's Quest To Put DJI Robots Into The Sky ) and has admitted to fly-aways with the P3. Quality control does seem to be a big obstacle for DJI as does questionable and sometimes difficult service and lack of parts, but you can find good ones out there too.

Until someone steps up with a better bird with the same or better features in the price range, and service and parts availability too, DJI has the market captured even with questionable hardware and software issues. Autel and Yuneec may have been close, but DJI sued them both so they lost their thunder. I'd like an Inspire 2, but until they get all the bugs out of it I'll await Best Buy to sell them so I can take back the defective one(s) and maybe find a good one - or get my money back.

I don't know where this hobby (fad?) is heading, but too much anti-drone sentiment exists with the general public so lawmakers may make it more difficult soon. FAA is to release round two of their rules Sept. 2017 too. FAA may claim they control airspace, but a lot of cities and states are thinking otherwise with the 10th Amendment with regards to state's rights with drone overflights, and privacy and safety both and the FAA seems to stay out of those issues as local and state ordinances are popping up. Right now, I'd venture that 90% of the general public has a dismay of them and seems the same or more for lawmakers too. A lot of drone shops have already shuttered their doors and some makers have gone out of business. Who knows.

Frank Wang (Owner of DJI) has admitted that it's "not a perfect product." ( Bow To Your Billionaire Drone Overlord: Frank Wang's Quest To Put DJI Robots Into The Sky ) and has admitted to fly-aways with the P3. Quality control does seem to be a big obstacle for DJI as does questionable and sometimes difficult service and lack of parts, but you can find good ones out there too.

Until someone steps up with a better bird with the same or better features in the price range, and service and parts availability too, DJI has the market captured even with questionable hardware and software issues. Autel and Yuneec may have been close, but DJI sued them both so they lost their thunder. I'd like an Inspire 2, but until they get all the bugs out of it I'll await Best Buy to sell them so I can take back the defective one(s) and maybe find a good one - or get my money back.

I don't know where this hobby (fad?) is heading, but too much anti-drone sentiment exists with the general public so lawmakers may make it more difficult soon. FAA is to release round two of their rules Sept. 2017 too. FAA may claim they control airspace, but a lot of cities and states are thinking otherwise with the 10th Amendment with regards to state's rights with drone overflights, and privacy and safety both and the FAA seems to stay out of those issues as local and state ordinances are popping up. Right now, I'd venture that 90% of the general public has a dismay of them and seems the same or more for lawmakers too. A lot of drone shops have already shuttered their doors and some makers have gone out of business. Who knows.
Sure hope that your not right on this GMack! I'm always trying to look to the bright side. But I think that drones are starting to get more stories of positive uses for them ect. But I am interested to know where this hobby and business is going as well. And yes, def not a perfect product by any means. But for 1500 bucks, with a pretty decent camera and gimble that will fly away from me 2 miles pretty easy and come back to my feet if something happens is insane imo.

Gosh guys. Thank you for the insights. Currently I have several different drones (Parrot, Galileo and some other mini ones). These are ones I don't mind crashing, and expect that all the time. But when it comes to this level of drone, when reviewing their implied capabilities, I was surprised to hear/read the horror stories. Again, thanks for the responses. Gonna do some soul searching but think I have to take my chance with the "overlord" as it was put earlier..LOL

Reactions: KevMo Photog
"Bad news travels fast" was the old dictum, "Happy" news just doesn't sell well usually. Newspapers call it "if it bleeds, it leads"...nothing changes.

Am I just seeing all the negative because the positive comments simply are not existent? Does this aerial platform really have all these issues as indicated here? How could they stay in business with such a horrid reputation on the forums?
Just think about that last question a little more.
The simple answer is that they couldn't stay in business if the actual situation was anything like the picture you've painted.
And DJI do more than just stay in business, they thrive with a market share of more than 70% in the ready-to-fly drone market.
All the other manufacturers share the small slice that's left.
Why? Because no-one else makes a ready-to-fly drone that can come close in features and performance.
No-one has a control system that can match Lightbridge or a camera to compete with the P4 pro.
The other manufacturers just aren't in the race.

Having a more than 70% market share means that they get >70% of users that can't or don't read the manual while other makers that might only sell 5-10% will get a tiny fraction of the total complaints out there.

The Phantom has evolved and early on, users that lost a Phantom without knowing why could save face by saying that their Phantom "flew away"
Since the Phantom 3 series, the app has a flight data recorder function that allows us to investigate the actual causes of accidents and lost Phantoms.
From these we see that the causes of incidents are almost all down to user error, confusion or disorientation.
The Phantom has several levels of failsafe programming and is a very reliable drone.

The risk of your Phantom actually flying away is extremely small but reading forums full of posts from people that have problems can create a different perception.
Here's an article that might help to put things in perspective: Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Droneflyers.com
In planning my initial purchase, was considering a few extra batteries-but they can't even get that right??
?? What problem have you heard of with batteries?

Reactions: AlanTheBeast

Yes indeed: Nobody writes threads on successful flights unless they have an observation or better, great video, to share.

I'm relatively new at this and I've had faultless flights from my Mavic Pro and P4P. 130 or so on the MP; 10 on the P4P (damned weather).

Before I received either, I printed out and read each manual at least 3 times.

The earliest flights on the Mavic Pro were setup with very limited max range settings; P-mode only. Gradually "opened up" the envelope of operations. Same with the P4P if on a more accelerated pace.

I made some mistakes; dumped the MP once into a bush and broke a blade and nothing else other than my pride.

I really studied the RTH hard - and happily have had my MP and P4P initiate RTH when a little too far and obstructed. So I've published my checklist for the least risky setup of RTH possible. This applies to the P4P as well. Some or many threads on lost drones seem to involve a poor understanding of RTH and how to set it up properly.

I didn't try the automated modes such as POI until I was really comfortable flying the machines.

I do have an advantage in being a commercial pilot (if not active). My mindset is aviate, navigate, communicate (in that order). The first and second matter. The third is window dressing for all of this.

Don't despair! Get your drone. Get flying. Obsess over detail and checklists and safety and (pssst: have fun).

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Yes indeed: Nobody writes threads on successful flights unless they have an observation or better, great video, to share.

I'm relatively new at this and I've had faultless flights from my Mavic Pro and P4P. 130 or so on the MP; 10 on the P4P (damned weather).

Before I received either, I printed out and read each manual at least 3 times.

The earliest flights on the Mavic Pro were setup with very limited max range settings; P-mode only. Gradually "opened up" the envelope of operations. Same with the P4P if on a more accelerated pace.

I made some mistakes; dumped the MP once into a bush and broke a blade and nothing else other than my pride.

I really studied the RTH hard - and happily have had my MP and P4P initiate RTH when a little too far and obstructed. So I've published my checklist for the least risky setup of RTH possible. This applies to the P4P as well. Some or many threads on lost drones seem to involve a poor understanding of RTH and how to set it up properly.

I didn't try the automated modes such as POI until I was really comfortable flying the machines.

I do have an advantage in being a commercial pilot (if not active). My mindset is aviate, navigate, communicate (in that order). The first and second matter. The third is window dressing for all of this.

Don't despair! Get your drone. Get flying. Obsess over detail and checklists and safety and (pssst: have fun).
+10000000

Everybody talks about faults on forums... ¿how many people are?

But which number of people are right now flying your drone without any problem? I have my user in this forum to help, not to complain about DJI because I DON'T HAVE ANY COMPLAIN!!

I had a P3A, and now a P4P. Happily I NEVER, NEVER have one single accident or something. Never a hardware failure. My experience are issues free, only satisfactions and a huge admiration (in every flight) about what I can do and the quality footage that I get with this drone. Seriously, my surprise never let go.

I had only a few compatibility issues with Android 7 and Nexus 6P (with P3A and P4P). My solution was iPhone 6s on P3A and iPhone 6s on P4P and recently a Nvidia Shield with Android 6 (I needed a big screen).

It's a STUNNING machine and I will never stop to tell that!!

Just think about that last question a little more.
The simple answer is that they couldn't stay in business if the actual situation was anything like the picture you've painted.
And DJI do more than just stay in business, they thrive with a market share of more than 70% in the ready-to-fly drone market.
All the other manufacturers share the small slice that's left.
Why? Because no-one else makes a ready-to-fly drone that can come close in features and performance.
No-one has a control system that can match Lightbridge or a camera to compete with the P4 pro.
The other manufacturers just aren't in the race.

Having a more than 70% market share means that they get >70% of users that can't or don't read the manual while other makers that might only sell 5-10% will get a tiny fraction of the total complaints out there.

The Phantom has evolved and early on, users that lost a Phantom without knowing why could save face by saying that their Phantom "flew away"
Since the Phantom 3 series, the app has a flight data recorder function that allows us to investigate the actual causes of accidents and lost Phantoms.
From these we see that the causes of incidents are almost all down to user error, confusion or disorientation.
The Phantom has several levels of failsafe programming and is a very reliable drone.

The risk of your Phantom actually flying away is extremely small but reading forums full of posts from people that have problems can create a different perception.
Here's an article that might help to put things in perspective: Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Droneflyers.com

?? What problem have you heard of with batteries?
I was reading through and saw where another member here ordered a couple batteries and it took them several attempts to get the order correct. Looked like DOA batteries and then wrong quantities. Probably not as severe as I am making it out to be, but when wifey sees checkbook, I don't wanna have to go there as well :)

My personal experience with the Phantom 4 and now the Phantom 4 Plus has been excellent. I purchased a Phantom 4 in July 2016. Being retired, I used it almost every day from Aug thru end of October. Total feet flown was over 3,000,0000 when I sold it. The only problem I ever had was a small stress crack, which given how much I used it, I was not surprised. I had it fixed and then sold it. All my flying was on the Hudson River in NY. I never flew anything before this and took my time in learning how to use it. I always did software updates when they came out and never had a problem with any update. I now have a Phantom 4 Pro Plus and find it even better than the P4. I don't understand people who call it a piece of junk. The integrated screen on the Plus is great and never crashes contrary to what I hear. I was not paid by DJI to write this, I just felt I needed to because it seems some newbies go on this forum and think everyone has problems with DJI products when that really is not the case. In my opinion, 100% of all fly sways are pilot error and 99.999% of all crashes are pilot error. READ THE MANUAL AGAIN AND AGAIN AND SET HOME POINT WITHOUT FAIL BEFORE TAKEOFF and you will most likely be a happy customer of DJI.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.