Pulled the trigger-too soon?

Reaction score
So I couldn't wait any longer. I just ordered a P3P w xtra battery via Amazon, fulfilled by DronesMadeEasy and it's already shipped from San Diego, I live in NY.

I've already spent a lot of time here over the past week, learned a lot, need to learn way more.

I also ordered a Hubsan X4 H107L since I've never RC'd before and have read here that this little guy might help me learnhow to fly before taking on the P3P.

Thx for everyone's help so far...starter tips welcome and appreciated!!

So I couldn't wait any longer. I just ordered a P3P w xtra battery via Amazon, fulfilled by DronesMadeEasy and it's already shipped from San Diego, I live in NY.

I've already spent a lot of time here over the past week, learned a lot, need to learn way more.

I also ordered a Hubsan X4 H107L since I've never RC'd before and have read here that this little guy might help me learnhow to fly before taking on the P3P.

Thx for everyone's help so far...starter tips welcome and appreciated!!
Play with the Hubsan for a while, and the P3P will be a piece of cake...but read the manuals several times!

If you can fly a hubsan, you will find flying a Phantom stupidly easy in both GPS and attitude mode.
My best recommendation is to go to a big empty field where there is nothing to hit for 200 feet in each direction.

Reactions: Tricky
Fly your Hubsan ! They're a lot of fun and you'll build some skills.

The P3 does not fly itself. Just take a look through this forum (especially the Help) section and count the number of posts that are in reference to a new pilot's recent crash.

I have witnessed new P3 pilots get disoriented when their P3 get behind them for the first time and they become instantly disorientated and cross controlled. This usually does not end well.

Flying the X4 will force you to learn to take off and land manually, that alone is worth the price of the Hubsan.

While you're enjoying the X4 take time to read the manual.

Also though you will receive auto push messages prompting you to update your firmware, please do not do this. Read the threads on this topic when you have time so you understand the issues associated with the current FW release.

:harry

Think of it this way, when you can fly the husband very well you can open the box and fly the phantom.

During witch time you use search on the forum with the keyword. Crash and then fly away.

Of course read the compass and mui guides and FIRMWARE guides and any tips. The manual and your ready! That's what I did, and I still crashed twice. Open areas no trees. ;)

Last edited:
I had a little experience with flying a small quad before buying the P3, not enough that it made me a good pilot as without all the gizmos that keep the phantom stable and in the air I'm sure I would find it very difficult to fly, which is probably the same for a lot of phantom pilots. What it did do though is make me familiar with the basic principles of how the controller works and what each stick does, it also gave me a big slap in the face as I got a bit over confident, took it to the park and subsequently watched it fly away as it had gone out of range, the upside it wasn't the Phantom.

when you first connect every thing up and switch it on, all the buttons on the controller and functions of the pilot app will be very daunting, my advice would be to familiarize yourself with this, the characteristics of each flight mode, although in beginner you can only fly in P mode. How to toggle between camera and the map screen, which is useful if you are unsure of the orientation of the P3 and you want to bring it back to you and definitely understand the RTH function and how you can override it. When you do take it up find the biggest open space you can, if if does have trees make sure you take it high enough to fly above these, the phantom does brake but at 30mph its not immediate and its easy to overshoot and when it does you don't want there to be anything for it to hit. Above all take it steady and don't panic, the Phantom is extremely stable and if it becomes a little overwhelming let the sticks center and it will sit there until you are ready to take control.

thanks all! i also ordered a spare battery with the P3P. i am sure there are thousands of dollars worth of "extras" i can buy down the road, but i figured an extra battery was first in order. its going to be tough, because my hubsan arrives a few days AFTER my P3P. so ill be staring at my big new toy just waiting for new little toy. but as has been pointed out...i need some basic skills, need to watch some more youtube vids, AND keep reading and asking questions here.

im really excited to get going here...thanks for everryones support!

With the X4, practice what's called "nose in" flying. Check out some Youtube videos to see what this means.

If nothing else, the small X4 will help you learn the controls and not get surprised the first time they are reversed due to nose in flying. I've seen many an R/C flier crash their airplane or helicopter due to not knowing this technique very well. Myself included in my earlier days. ;)

Good luck and remember, crawl, walk, run.

BTW, while waiting on your X4, you can take the time to learn your P3P software and compass calibration procedures. Before updating the firmware, I'd do a lot of reading on these forums!

I actually have more fun with my syma x5c-1 than my P3. But probably just bc it flips. lol As others have stated fly the x4 first, it's a much cheaper crash to swallow.

Put the prop guards on that Hubsan X4 as soon as you get it, (look underneath the white plastic). Also, use LIGHT pressure on those sticks. That little "bug" is FAST !!!
Enjoy !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl