Pulled the trigger today.

Reaction score
I ordered my Phantom from Atlanta Hobby today. I'm going to pick it up on Saturday (hopefully they will have them in stock by then) I'm quite excited. After a couple months or research and debate between the Phantom and the Blade, I decided it was time to make the choice. The stability difference between the two was the greatest factor in my decision. I want to thank all the users on this forum who have filled these threads with so much useful information. I don't think you have any idea how much you help guys like myself who, until now, choose to lurk, and learn. I hope to start contributing more very soon. Once again, thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Good to hear that you made the decision you did. I took a look at the Blade, and It just didn't look like it was
very serious.
I find Blade products to be overpriced for what you get, and I'm sure this offering is no different.

I think for the money, you got a deal. It will be interesting to see if that new GoPro Hero 3 + camera is
compatible with the Zenmuse gimbal. And what kind of jello/vibration issuses come of it.

You made the right choice, no doubt. I have a Blade as well as the Phantom and I can tell you that after going inside the Blade to wire in lights etc, the one-board-does-all mentality is still as strong with Blade stuff as it always has been. People poo-poo the Phantom receiver, but at least you can swap it out, the Blade receiver is part of the mainboard. The whole interior is just cheaply assembled. The GPS works, I can't deny that, but I don't know how, it's a shoddy piece of work.

Flight wise, they have managed to make the thing stable enough but height control is weak to say the least. Simple circuits with this thing have you working the throttle like it was an old R/C Heli...

It's fun but that's it. Quite honestly it's a $200 machine plus GPS.

I didnt get the combo with the camera. With the new go pro coming out I figured I would wait. Plus, I want to have lots of flight time in before I attach more money to it. For now I have my droid thunderbolt I can attach to it for fun (blue tooth and WiFi off of course) the go pro will come soon enough. I am really looking forward to picking this thing up. Getting a few extra lipos and prop guards when I go down to get it. Already have quite a shopping list lined up.

Remember this because it will save you money. If you remove the prop guards, put the originals screws back in place!

The prop guard screws without the prop guards will short out the motors. You will need to replace them if that happens.

miskatonic said:
Remember this because it will save you money. If you remove the prop guards, put the originals screws back in place!

The prop guard screws without the prop guards will short out the motors. You will need to replace them if that happens.

You bet. I've read that a few times. I will only be using them for a short while. Once I get the go pro and a case they will come off.

NCHoytArcher said:
miskatonic said:

You bet. I've read that a few times. I will only be using them for a short while. Once I get the go pro and a case they will come off.

I just replaced my motors because of the **** screws. Oh well at least I got the upgrades...for $200... :cry:

Same here. Toasted all 4 motors. Emailed DJI and asked them to update their documentation and Wiki, we'll see what happens. Enjoy the new toy, it will quickly consume all of your free time. :)

It was good to get a view from "Marcus_Canada", since he actually owns both products. I actually have not done anything
with my Phantom for a couple of months. I got the "upgrade board", and BTU, and IOSD mini modules, but have not even
assembled them in the new Phantom Shell yet. I have been really having a serious bout of depression lately. It's hard to
get myself in the mood for anything it seems.

Just got back from Atlanta Hobby. Got my Phantom put together, prop guards, black props on the back. Got my battery charging now. Can't wait.

a7eny7es.jpg

I've put about 3 packs through it. Absolutely love it. Still running whatever firmware is on it out of the box. Its the newest version I believe. 2 antennas, centered knobs, reverse threaded prop nuts. Not sure what firmware is on it, but I see no need to hook it up yet. I don't think IOC is on, but I can't say that I tried it. Will check tomorrow. Having a great time flying with my son and his MQX. Makes the investment into this hobby worth every penny.

Hoyt.. welcome to the club..

Your phantom does not have ioc enabled by default.. you will be forced to upgrade to 4x when you go to enable this..... I went thru this process last night... it's easy and not as scary as people make it out to be

Go to you tube and search for Naza 4 upgrade... videos will walk you thru the process.

Happy Flying

You've got the latest version Phantom (2 black, 2 silver prop nuts), I wasn't so lucky. Mine was delivered last week and the tape on the box had been cut, as well as the tape on the box the battery charger comes in. 4 silver nuts and looked like it had been used. I immediately boxed it back up and sent it back. In the meantime I reordered off Ebay for a latest version model with instructions to insure that the box was factory sealed.
As stated above, look for that 4.0 firmware update video. If you follow that step by step, you should have no problems. I'm curious to know what version yours shipped with. Good idea you have there with the black props on back, for orientation I presume? I also have a prop balancer en route, good idea to check them.

I think I'm going to fly it as is for a while before I do the upgrade. I'm enjoying the hell out of this thing. So happy I made the decision to go this route vs the Blade.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31