PS3 Standard, 5.8 connector broken

Sorry that doesn't sound helpful. But this stuff happens all the time even to some of us that are used to doing these types of mods. Some of these lessons are learned the expensive way

Here's a picture, the bottom one.... The connector is still there, but the cylinder part I guess is still in the other connector.

20160217_175143-L.jpg

Exactly what happened to me!! I have a regular soldering station and an SMD soldering station and was unable to repair it. I have years of experience working on this type of stuff, but the way they built the contacts makes it virtually impossible to repair the issue. In my case, I found out that the WiFi part on the RC is removable and can replace the unit from another broken controller. Hope you have the same luck!!

Why can't it be un-soldiered and replaced ? Heck wire in a larger connector or better yet soldier in the coax directly to the board?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why can't it be un-soldiered and replaced ? Heck wire in a larger connector or better yet soldier in the coax directly to the board?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Trust me, you're dealing with micro components. I use three Magnifiers to see what I'm doing with the SMD stuff. You don't have a very good chance of repairing this. However, if you do, please document how you did it, I'd be extremely curious!!!

Watching

Trust me, you're dealing with micro components. I use three Magnifiers to see what I'm doing with the SMD stuff. You don't have a very good chance of repairing this. However, if you do, please document how you did it, I'd be extremely curious!!!

Watching

See I was thinking, just take the connector off and hard wire in a sma wire, at least then it's working, even as a modded controller. Just two contact pads to work with, shouldn't be too hard. The trick is just making sure no short I have some very tiny soldier that works well doing this, Never done it on this controller but I've modded a bunch of others doing this same exact type of thing. Use one of those big desk clamp magnifiers it works really well

Like I said, good luck, and i wish you the best with the repair. Please document!! I'm really interested if you can make it work!! Best wishes to your success!!

I did the exact same thing doing the DBS Mod on my Standard remote, only it was one of the 2.4's. So I went online to Amazon and bought the connectors. They came in a package of 2 for $6. I then used a fine tip, low power (20w or less) soldering iron and completely removed the broken connector. Use solder braid to wick off the solder (Radio Shack). What came off with the antenna was the collar piece, so you have to remove the entire mount. What you will have left should be 3 small strips of solder on the board. I used a magnifying device, so I could see, and soldered on one of the new U/FL mounts. I then ran a continuity check and pushed on the antenna. Remember to push it straight down with no twisting. After the antenna was on, as were the other two, I hot glued them down and then dabbed some hot glue along the antenna wire paths so they wouldn't flex.

Everything fired up and I went flying. No problems.

You are not out anything but $6 to try to repair the damage. You've already made the remote inoperable, so go ahead and give it a try. Worse case scenario is you have to purchase a new remote for $139. Best case, you repaired your system. Good luck and no caffeine before soldering (makes your hands trimble).

See the Amazon links below:

2PCS IPEX U.FL SMD SMT Solder For PCB Mount Socket Jack Female RF Coaxial Connector

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXOC5Z4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Here's a picture, the bottom one.... The connector is still there, but the cylinder part I guess is still in the other connector.

20160217_175143-L.jpg
Broke mine directly above your's at the 2.4. See my post, above, on how to repair.

Just did the exact same thing.
Bought another controller from eBay to do the mod I was working on.
Sent the broken one to DJI to replace the PCB to keep as a backup.
Haven't gotten a price back yet.

Just did the exact same thing.
Bought another controller from eBay to do the mod I was working on.
Sent the broken one to DJI to replace the PCB to keep as a backup.
Haven't gotten a price back yet.

That is actually, a pretty good idea !

Wow this is good to know since AI just ordered a kit. What can I do or how can I do the removal without breaking the connector? Is there a trick to it? Or just be careful?

I was using an Exacto knife & tweezers to remove the silicone from the connectors.
I had actually successfully removed all 3 connectors already.
Then I kept trying to clean off all the residual silicone on the 5.8 connector when it popped off.
Apparently they are very delicate. Try to make little to no contact directly w/them,

Reactions: Andy Thomas
Wow this is good to know since AI just ordered a kit. What can I do or how can I do the removal without breaking the connector? Is there a trick to it? Or just be careful?

Go S-L-O-W when removing the silicone. Use an X-Acto fine tip knife and tweezers. The antenna connector actually sits on the inside of the board mount ring when it slides onto the center pin. Remove as much silicone as you can then remove the antenna by gently pulling straight up. DO NOT TWIST the mount or the gold collar (and it is gold with a metal bonder, so it's very soft) will pull away from the mount. I have heard that "Dow Corning® DS-2025 Silicone Cleaning Solvent" will actually dissolve silicone to the point of being removable with a Q-Tip. You could then just reapply more silicone once the antenna is back on.

Why couldnt one install the wire onto the stud and solder the connector to the area where the socket is soldered to the board?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers