PS 4K Newbie!

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

Well, after flying toy-grade quads for nearly 6 months, I made the leap and bought a P3 4K. Needless to say, I absolutely love it! I did have a couple of quick questions regarding range.

1. I just bought the BTG windsurfer kit for my P3. How much more range can I expect to get? I know that the stock range is rated around 1200m. Here's the kit:
https://www.amazon.com/BTG-Advanced...1468881891&sr=8-1&keywords=phantom+windsurfer

2. Assuming I get improved range with the windsurfer kit, does this mean that I will still have clear FPV via Wifi at further distances?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Windsurfer only gave me about an extra 300' , but I made mine. After adding a new antenna, that is what gave me the most improvement. Do some distance tests, you may be happy with your current range in the correct conditions.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have windsurfers on my P3P. I get mostly around 2 miles over a highly populated city. I usually fly at 400 ft. Best bang for $20!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Windsurfer only gave me about an extra 300' , but I made mine. After adding a new antenna, that is what gave me the most improvement. Do some distance tests, you may be happy with your current range in the correct conditions.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
He's right, my windsurfer only add about 100m for me too. I own P3 4K about less than 1 month and actually a bit disappointed with the distance.

What I did:
On stock antenna: 100-200m video getting choppy, 250m lose video signal, 440m rth.
Add Windsurfer: 200-250m video getting choppy, 300m lose video signal, 550m rth.

You should see this thread and read carefully how to change your 2.4Ghz transmission power from 15dbm to 27dbm. Note: don't change the rcS file manually, but use the telnet method. It can increase the video feed quality. I did mine and got perfect video signal up to 400m with windsurfer, and still getting video at 500m. Remote signal is down to 2-3 bars at 500m. Managed to fly 744m then rth because I'm too afraid fly further and lose the bird. Will try again today.

So, stock antenna + windsurfer + update 27dbm tx power = >750m

If you want more distance, consider buying dbs itelite mod and signal boosters.

I'm confused. Why is the P34K rated for 1200m? If I'm only going to get 400m, that's simply unacceptable. Had I have known that, I wouldn't have wasted $640 on one. I bought the 4K because 1200m is more than enough distance for my video needs. Are any of you out there with the 4K getting the range as advertised on their website?

I'm confused. Why is the P34K rated for 1200m? If I'm only going to get 400m, that's simply unacceptable. Had I have known that, I wouldn't have wasted $640 on one. I bought the 4K because 1200m is more than enough distance for my video needs. Are any of you out there with the 4K getting the range as advertised on their website?

The range they post on their site is in an area with absolutely no interference or obstructions.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My longest so far is a little over 3/4 of a mile on my p3s and its only rated for 1/2 mile. Completely stock and with all updates. Video feed at that point started getting a little choppy so I bounced it back. Probably could have gone further as it did not go into rth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Location is important. You have to manage your expectation when flying in a densely populated area. I don't get to fly in a location where there is no interference at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik