Proximity To Electric Powerlines Observation

Reaction score
Last week I flew a number aerial videos for the Town of Stroudsburg, PA that will be used in the production of a commemorative bicentennial video for the town. This was the first time I had to fly in a small town urban setting (above active traffic, between buildings, etc.) and I was concerned about the extensive pole to pole utility wires throughout the town that cross-crossed overhead. While some of my filming took place well above the wires, many sequences were shot as I flew from a high vantage point down to a close-up - requiring me to descend next to or under some of these wires. So I just wanted to report that my P2V+_v2 exhibited ZERO unusual flight behavior despite being in close proximity (at times within a few feet) of the pole to pole wires.

I also had a situation where a flock of Swallows (at least a dozen) swarmed my Phantom just as I sent it off on a GS mission along a river. Taking it out of GS mode and trying to evade them (like a Goodyear blimp trying to evade the Blue Angels) I came extremely close to a high tension power lines that were strung across the river between towers - almost hitting them. But, again, no unexpected RC or compass issues were experienced due to any electrical field.

I was able to shake off the sparrows by gaining a lot of altitude, but they again started to swarm as I brought it back down to land -- but I got her down without any bird casualties. I'll eventually post the video. Just got back from a 800 mile drive and I'm beat.

Reactions: yorlik
I have flown around them, I even hit one with my landing gear.
These were residential so it was probably just 220 vac.
but same thing I didn't notice anything bad at all, except for actually hitting one. haha
I was filming a graduation party
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You shouldn't paint all distribution lines with the same brush. The fact is there are numerous type of dist. schemes used and no web forum will nail-down that it's OK or not in any or all situations.

I do recall some repeatable issues with planks on 72MHz in one situation decades ago but none with the 2.4 SS stuff.

I don't think I said all distribution lines are 220 vac.
Just these. Probably.
jheez lighten up

I don't think I said all distribution lines are 220 vac.
Just these. Probably.
jheez lighten up

It was not aimed at you.
It was more 'proverbial'.

I would have quoted you otherwise.

Reactions: dirkclod
Most wires running from pole to pole at the top are high voltage wires. Most are 19,200 volts. Very little 4 kg used any more. The lower wires but above phone/internet/tv are low voltage which is 110/220 volt comming from transformers. The wires that are transmission lines on the steel towers or double telephone poles with a pole crossed at top are 110,000 volt lines going from substation to substation. I would expect the only interference would be from close proximity to the transmission towers. Those around town shouldn't emit. Enought EMI to bother the controls.

The lines going across the river that I almost hit were definitely transmission lines strung between steel towers. The substation was about 1/2-mile down the river. These particular wires in my case didn't seem to cause any control issues.

Hey Roy you seem to know about this stuff.
I was under the impression that the cross country lines were actually DC then the substations convert it back to AC.
Is this right? If it is then wouldn't the high voltage DC lines be making a huge magnetic field?
I could see that interfering with the quad.
...just thinking out loud

Hey Roy you seem to know about this stuff.
I was under the impression that the cross country lines were actually DC then the substations convert it back to AC.
Is this right? If it is then wouldn't the high voltage DC lines be making a huge magnetic field?
I could see that interfering with the quad.
...just thinking out loud

Don't know where you are, but in the US everything is AC. DC is extremely difficult and costly to transmit, not to mention the power losses. This was the fight between Bell and Tesla...Tesla eventually won, but there are still places in the world transmitting DC. High voltage AC generates EMI, and it can affect your compass, but probably not flight control. Still, I would still consider myself lucky. Don't try it near radio towers, though.

I'm in the good ol USA - So Cal
or Northern Mexico as we call it now
:)
I thought the fight was between Edison and Tesla?
And I thought Edison won. I thought Tesla was pushing for wireless electrical transmission? Like radio waves.
...could be me. I'm old and forgetful now haha I probably knew them both haha

I'm in the good ol USA - So Cal
or Northern Mexico as we call it now
:)
I thought the fight was between Edison and Tesla?
And I thought Edison won. I thought Tesla was pushing for wireless electrical transmission? Like radio waves.
...could be me. I'm old and forgetful now haha I probably knew them both haha

Oops...my bad..senior moment...you're right...it was Edison v Tesla, but the fight was DC (Edison) vs AC (Tesla).

Edison v. Westinghouse

Westinghouse bought Tesla Patents.

These were the transmission lines.

ScreenShot.png

Don't know where you are, but in the US everything is AC. DC is extremely difficult and costly to transmit, not to mention the power losses. This was the fight between Bell and Tesla...Tesla eventually won, but there are still places in the world transmitting DC. High voltage AC generates EMI, and it can affect your compass, but probably not flight control. Still, I would still consider myself lucky. Don't try it near radio towers, though.

Edison and Westinghouse.

Yes, we have hi voltage DC transmission lines in the USA; I know of some in CA & I believe in Alaska; not sure where else. They are there because they are cheaper than AC would have been! Only 1 wire required: earth is the return. that saves enough money to pay for the converter and inverter on respective ends. DC is used to save money for real long runs.

And I believe Edison Electric Company in NY, who thru the 1990's had many DC customers in neighborhoods in NY, just converted their last DC customers to AC only a few years ago.

I do not think you would be able to measure a significant difference in the EM field near either one, they both have it.

A tidbit to confuse: no electricity flows THRU the wire, all the energy flows outside the wire in the magnetic and electric fields.... what electrons actual DO bump along in the wire only move about 2 inches per second.....

Reactions: RichWest
@yorlik - You're spot on with your reply!

@MapMaker53 - Those are transmission lines, but in the range of 49 to 69 kV. It's not so much the voltage, it's the amps flowing that causes issues.

HATE POWER LINES! I fly mostly for road contractors & infrastructure contractors & almost EVERY time I go out to fly for the road works teams there are inevitably POWERLINES! Makes sense really - easiest way from A to B before roads & infrastructure are placed. Screwed up my compass totally tried de-gaussing several times but it was super inconvenient - compass was always way off which makes FPV virtually impossible when you've no idea in which direction your Phantom is flying because of new terrain. I changed it out for the latest anti-static version. Flying around Powerlines should be avoided if you can at all times. You'll know when you have absolutely NO control over your P2V+ or it just stays in the same position no matter what you do! Don't let the powerlines come in between you & your P2V+......just saying!

HATE POWER LINES! I fly mostly for road contractors & infrastructure contractors & almost EVERY time I go out to fly for the road works teams there are inevitably POWERLINES! Makes sense really - easiest way from A to B before roads & infrastructure are placed. Screwed up my compass totally tried de-gaussing several times but it was super inconvenient - compass was always way off which makes FPV virtually impossible when you've no idea in which direction your Phantom is flying because of new terrain. I changed it out for the latest anti-static version. Flying around Powerlines should be avoided if you can at all times. You'll know when you have absolutely NO control over your P2V+ or it just stays in the same position no matter what you do! Don't let the powerlines come in between you & your P2V+......just saying!
OOps - should have said High Tension Power cables!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers