Proximity detector

Reaction score
Hi
Has anyone tried putting proximity detectors on these beasts to prevent them from running into solid objects?
BTW, had my stock p2v_ out to 2600 feet. Nice

Thanks
Jerry

skulltronix said:
Hi
Has anyone tried putting proximity detectors on these beasts to prevent them from running into solid objects?

Thanks
Jerry
I can't imagine what good it would do (proximity sensors). How would they feed back to the operator? And if they did, what would you do in time to correct the situation?

slothead said:
skulltronix said:
Hi

Thanks
Jerry
I can't imagine what good it would do (proximity sensors). How would they feed back to the operator? And if they did, what would you do in time to correct the situation?

The idea would be for the senors to tell the bird to stay away, not the operator.

DownunderPhantom said:
The idea would be for the senors to tell the bird to stay away, not the operator.

I'd like to know how you'd incorporate them into the bird. Mounting them is easy. Getting them to actually integrate with it is a bit more......... complex.

Where to mount them might not be that simple, depending on their sensory field. Mounting a sensor at the end of each prop arm would probably detect the spinning props. And they might even prevent you from landing if they detect the ground. Interesting concept, though.

Nah.. One more thing we can blame.
I'm sure DJI can implement this but it will encourage people to do stupid things and become complacent.
"I was trying to fly it near my kids face but it reversed into my face instead!" - insert name end user here.

Time travel is ready. But we aren't.

I think proxys sensors are great and all but we need to become less reliant and try and prevent from happening in the first place by building up skills. Ie practice in open fields daily to become competent flyers. I will admit to you that over 100 flights, I still make orienteering errors but I react quickly and calmly. Reasons why so many crashes is to do with cockiness. This is when your confidence exceeds your ability.

DJI has already given us a wonderful stable aerial platform and yet will still crash them hard. Maybe we aren't ready. For many who hasn't flown manual, don't understand "trim settings" and how difficult to keep a quad stabilised. Non-GPS quads behave a lot like RC planes and that meant you had to be on the sticks at all times. We have taken the NAZA for granted.

I have fun and try to find my limits. It's good to guess, but make it an educated one; It's good to take risk, but make it a calculative one..

Close range radar is crude and probably will cause a lot of aggravation with too many false positives. Like other people have mentioned, how close it too close? What is the UAV supposed to do if it does detect an obstacle in it's path --- ascend, stop and hover, go left or right? ****, I get a headache just thinking of the options.

I think the future will involve a combination of current technology such as LIDAR and facial recognition software. Just imagine your Phantom flying along at max. speed as you're casually chatting with a friend and not paying attention to the bird. The Phantom's LIDAR and recognition software detects a mighty 100-foot oak directly ahead of it's flight path. As it nears critical perimeter, the flight computer automatically instructs the Phantom to ascend to 150 ft. while reducing airspeed somewhat so it can clearly avoid hitting the tree. Easy peezy, lemon squeezy --- and you can continue engaging in idle chatter and being a lazy pilot.

The technology already exists, just takes some ingenuity to make it work on a cheap drone. I'm not sure how small LIDAR can get but I would imagine it could shrink down to a few ounces eventually.

:mrgreen:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl