Proud new P3A user

Reaction score
Hello everyone :D

Today I receved my brand new P3A, It was replaced by P3S. It has new motors and GL300C remote.
I have successfuly update aircraft to firmware v1.6.0040. There was no need to update RC, already on latest version 1.5.7.

I couldnt start my first test because of rain today, hope tomorrow will be better. I just run motors inside without props and when I push throttle speed goes normal up and when I release stick to neutral position and there is some noise. Can't describe, its not loud, like something is braking the motors. I think there was no sound like this on P3S. Hope everything is fine and this is normal sound? IMG_20160202_171616.jpg

Post a video. Your photo isn't making any noises ;)

Im pretty sure its the fan..I had the same when I went from a standard to advanced. I dont think the standard has a fan

Cheers

Then maybe is this what I hear. When I do full throttle and release throttle then for split of second you hear that sound.

I thought I read somewhere on the gji website or in a video that the p3a and pro have motor brakes for better flight control. So if that's true, you might have heard the brakes engaging. Good luck with the new bird.

I thought I read somewhere on the gji website or in a video that the p3a and pro have motor brakes for better flight control. So if that's true, you might have heard the brakes engaging. Good luck with the new bird.

It sounds just like that. Do you maybe remember where you read that (link?). Thank you:)

After more thought it was on a video from my searches on dji phantoms. If I can find it I will post it here for ya. But I remember them talking about it and thinking how cool is that on a drone. They mentioned it gave better flight control.

Reactions: Nejkoy
I found the link it's
It's a great video but fast forward to about 13:40 and they talk about the new motors with braking. Some good video screens too. Hope this helps a bit

Reactions: Nejkoy
I really doubt it is the air brakes you are hearing. I think the quad has to sense it is moving to apply them. The gimble fan is a better guess.

Guys, I am not sure if you are joking or not, but there are no actual brakes on the phantom! It is the ESCs that electronically"brake" the motors for faster deceleration!

I am a P3A owner as well, and I agree with the fact that te noise probably comes from the gimbal

The the motors make a completely different sound when starting them with vs without the props. The only way I can describe it is like a UFO preparing for takeoff a crescendo "whirring" noise.

Hello today I take my first flight. There was no sound like yesterday with props off. But there is other problem. P3A is not hovering very well. P3S was much better. It goes little up and down and left and right. I did IMU calibration, gimbal and compass calibration(2x). I also switched VPS off and still the same. It was a little windy but not much.What else could be the problem?

Hello today I take my first flight. There was no sound like yesterday with props off. But there is other problem. P3A is not hovering very well. P3S was much better. It goes little up and down and left and right. I did IMU calibration, gimbal and compass calibration(2x). I also switched VPS off and still the same. It was a little windy but not much.What else could be the problem?
It's most likely just wind. Try it it calm conditions. When windy, it will correct and try and hold its position. 1-3 feet is normal fighting the wind.

Also, what height were you flying at. It's more stable above 10 feet or so. Close to the ground, it will buffet around.

All sounds normal.

SD

Yes I will wait for wind to settle. I was flying at about 5m height. Hope it will be better, P3S was rock solid. Is also anything else I could try?

While I believe there are no "physical" brakes in the motors, if any of you have flown single engine aircraft with props, you will hear a distinct change in sound pitch on a significant reduction of the throttle. It's the action of the blades against the air movement around them. If the esc can and does radically change the rpm of the blades quickly, it will change the sound or pitch noticeably. Maybe that strange sound is enough to cause the questioning since it's a new sound. Just my 2 cents. Or it could be something totally different. Lol

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj