Protesting Canada's idiotic new drone rules - bought a P4P!

Reaction score
In defiance against these idiotic new rules I just ordered a P4P - so I'm now a legitimate* member of this forum!

:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D

*For pretty low values of the variable "legitimate".

68918557.jpg

What exactly is so idiotic about the Canadian rules?

Provide contact information on your aircraft, stay 75m away from people or private property, 90m or less above take off and 9km away from airports.

Not much different then they were yesterday other than halving the required distance from people/property and providing contact information (which most reasonable flyers were doing already).

Gratz on the purchase though...

Reactions: AyeYo
what I would like to see is some more details and clarrification. for instance:
9 KM from airport?? Define airport.. I fly in a park, near a runway that is open summer months only. Regardless, if it has a runway is it an airport???
75 meters from buildings?? If I fly an alt of 80m above a building am I legal??

The only part of the new regs that bug me is the flying at night. Why??? I can tell you from experience that my drone is much more visible at night than day. Those 4 LEDs make it much easier to see than a white drone in daylight against a gray overcast sky...

One of the new stipulations is that the drone can never fly beyond 500 meters away from the operator. You think this is reasonable ?

Also I find it kinda irrelevant that these regs were based upon the fact that "drone incidents" had tripled since 2014. How many hobbiests were flying drones back in 2014 and how many "incidents" were there. What constitutes and "incident" ? So if 3 years ago, there were 3 incidents and last year there were 9 ???? Very little actual information provided.

-Within 75 meters (246 ft.) of buildings, vehicles, vessels, ANIMALS, people or crowds.

noun
any member of the kingdom Animalia, comprising multicellular organisms that have a well-defined shape and usually limited growth, can move voluntarily, actively acquire food and digest it internally, and have sensory and nervous systems that allow them to respond rapidly to stimuli: some classification schemes also include protozoa and certain other single-celled eukaryotes that have motility and animallike nutritional modes.

...well....its gunna be hard to find a spot to fly!

One of the new stipulations is that the drone can never fly beyond 500 meters away from the operator. You think this is reasonable ?.

Yes, I fly in valleys to take photos after heavy rains to see where rock slides or mud slides have blocked roads which I give to county government so they know where the roads need clearing. Much safer to send out my drone with a 4km range than have people driving where they could be killed by falling boulders.

As a pilot:

1.. The obvious goal with any of this is to keep drones from coming into contact with either planes, people, buildings, or animals. This is a good thing. Ever watch videos of idiots hitting building a like the space Needle in Seattle? Fools like that need to be charged, and in order to do that there needs to be laws to charge them with.
2.. Airports are areas that there would be a high probability that drones and aircraft could come in contact with each other. The 9KM rule is kind of strange though if you consider that the drone now has a 300 ft ceiling. There are no planes 9km out approaching an airport at 300 ft. Maybe 5km would be a more reasonable number.
3.. Personally I think you should need to register your drone and register as a pilot of a drone. This would weed out the people who would most likely hit the Space Needle and it also gives law enforcement an easy mechanism for enforcement. No license or reg, you get your drone seized and charged.
4.. The drone ceiling should be more like 400 feet like the US as unless it is an in populated area you should not have any aircraft operating under 500 feet. (Rotery). That would leave a 100 ft buffer and typically helicopter pilots are vigilant at see and avoid because their life depends on it operating at low altitude.
5.. The nightime thing i do not understand. Those who are pilots know typically calm clear nightime flying is some of the best flying there is.
6.. Recreational pilots should have to maintain LOS but I think there should be a commercial license that would allow you you to operate a drone beyond LOS.
7. You should need to be at least 16 to operate drone anything beyond something that fits in your hand. (Back to the license)

My 2 cents. I actually welcome regulation here because without it you can't separate the idiots from the responsible users.

Personally I am going to continue to operate my drone as I have in the past in a responsible manner.

9 Km from a landing pad is a bit much. This will now include most hospitals, as many of them have helicopter landing pads. So basically no flying 9 Km from a hospital.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl