Protection Kit

Reaction score
Someone else had posted a link to uavbits.net before. So I've ordered their combo for the P3 here: http://www.uavbits.net/store/p22/Phantom_3_Combo.html

I'm not affiliated with them. Just wanted to pass on the message that I'm extremely happy with that stuff. It has surely saved my gimbal twice already. Once I flew into a tree at full speed. Was distracted the wrong moment, and didn't notice I went the wrong way. The drone fell about 10m through foliage, and landed just at the side of a little river; the props were off except for one, and were entangled in grass, which saved the bird. Pulled out the battery, cleaned it, replaced the props, and was back flying. Later noticed the shell had at one spot cracked open a bit - fixed it with my finger nail then. So the impact was sufficiently strong, but nothing broke, even the horizon was still perfect.

Second crash was even harder, was flying around some construction at low altitude - about 5 m - when suddenly I got a massive wind pushing the drone right into what I was looking at. It hit the object, and tumbled straight down to ground. As it fell, I immediately did a CSC, which probably has saved the props. Did a complete calibration after that, since horizon was off by 5° or so. Again, nothing bad happened.

I at the time had only put on the gimbal protector. I've now also put on the other bits. They say you need to clip off the plastic protectors, but you can also just fumble them out with some flathead screw driver. The gimbal protector has a little disadvantage, which is if you are flying with camera straight down, and you get into wind, as the bird will compensate for the air movement, it'll logically be tilted in the air, at which point you may at times see the gimbal protector in the image that's recorded.

A fair tradeoff for me, as it has saved me a camera and gimbal already twice.

So, just to give you guys some feedback, this is really awesome stuff and comes in at about no cost.

Best,

M

I'm not quite sure how this item works. Are you saying that you fly with that contraption on the camera? I see in the additional photos that seemingly the only one that doesn't cover the lens is the "Blue" one. If you're flying with that one, as you seem to allege, how did you get the camera pointing straight down? Because, according to the picture, it is firmly attached to the upper portion of the gimble. Therefore, it should be restricting movement of any kind. Even the website doesn't offer any info for this.

There are three parts to it. The one you see is a lens cover that you don't fly with. The second part is a piece that you put between the two legs of the Phantom. This is the most important bit, as it protects the gimbal when the bird falls on something. The third part replaces the gimbal mount by a lighter and more durable option.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl