Protecting the PV2+ Gimbal and Camera

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am on gimbal/camera #3 on my PV2+ and really pissed off. One crash was my bad the others were ridiculous occurring on two MINOR "crashes". Crashes doesn't do justice to the events, they were more like "spills". Either way, I am not telling anyone that owns a PV2+ camera and gimbal something they don't already know. DJI should be ashamed at the POOR quality of the product. The positive side of the deal is when it is working it does a fantastic job of aerial photography. Ok, enough bitching.......I am looking for recommendations from the group on the optimal setup for protecting the gimbal/camera so the setup survives these minor incidents. I have no delusions of protecting the setup from a 30 knot collision with a redwood, I just want to find either one component or a combination of multiple components that together will protect my camera/gimbal.

ANY recommendations from the group on what has worked for them and had their camera/gimbal survive a hard landing or minor crash. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts as well as a link if possible to a product to mitigate this issue.

Regards,
Brad

I'm in the same boat as you, I have crashed 2 times and jacked up 2 cameras. I bought a new camera that I'am using now and put the gimbel protector on from UAV I think, they have an ad on here.

woobisah said:
I currently use the Gimbal guard and Inertia guard from UAVbits.com http://www.uavbits.net/store/p4/Carbon_ ... _P2V_.html

Of course I haven't flown in a while as here in the NorthEast it is either a Blizzard or below zero wind chills.

I also hand catch everytime. I've literally never landed my P2V+
Yeah thats the one, but I have'nt crash after that, so I don't know if it works.

Woobisah,

Have you had both the gimbal guard and the protector plate both hooked up to your PV2+ and had the gimbal/camera set up survive?

Cheers,
Brad

Another possible solution is to upgrade your camera to a GoPro with a Zenmuze gimbal. This setup is much tougher and you can still get video and telemetry through the Vision app.

GoPro & Gimbal is a bit more expensive than the Vision+ camera. I sold my Vision+ camera to offset the cost.

kookjo said:
Woobisah,

Have you had both the gimbal guard and the protector plate both hooked up to your PV2+ and had the gimbal/camera set up survive?

Cheers,
Brad

I have both the gimbal guard and inertia guard, but (knocks on wood) I've never crashed to see how well it protects. Plus I hand catch every time as well to take out the possibility of tipping over. I have read about some people saying their camera/gimbal survived no problem after a crash though. I've also never read about somebody having this protection and saying it didn't help at all.

Thanks Woobisah, I realize that the options are more preventative then fully protective after hearing your comments as well as doing some other research which is what I expected. Soooo, I better start flying with less bravado or I will be keep paying out of my a$$. Thanks again for the info, I just ordered both products.

Cheers,
Brad

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4