Protecting the gimbal

___

Reaction score
What are some options to protect that dainty camera and gimbal assembly?

I have a gimbal guard for uneven surface landings, and am thinking about some cloth (gaffers) tape on the $200 black ribbon cable and maybe near the compass. What else can we do? I've even considered RC shocks on modified landing gear.

Ideas? What have you done already?

Onezerosix141 said:
... wouldn't that make it too rigid? ...
Rigid is good if you're trying to protect the camera and gimbal. Carbon fiber and plastic are a lot tougher than that gimbal.

DKDarkness said:
You could probably make one out of 2mm or 3mm plexiglas using a coping saw, put Phantom pilots are not the most DIY minded lot :)
Plexiglass would be much heavier than the carbon fiber that's made out of.
But yeah, you could probably fabricate something thin and strong to strap between the landing legs.

By gimbal guard, yes, I mean the little tray. It is designed to protect the gimbal if you land on an uneven surface.
I added some electrical tape very carefully over most of the exposed parts of the black ribbon cable. It won't do much put perhaps it may do just enough if I ever need it.
I also got the petal lens hood and believe that it will also add a slight layer of scuff protection, if nothing else.

How about those leg extensions?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406328819.575550.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406328819.575550.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 545
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406328840.174571.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406328840.174571.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 581
___ said:
By gimbal guard, yes, I mean the little tray. It is designed to protect the gimbal if you land on an uneven surface.
I added some electrical tape very carefully over most of the exposed parts of the black ribbon cable. It won't do much put perhaps it may do just enough if I ever need it.
I also got the petal lens hood and believe that it will also add a slight layer of scuff protection, if nothing else.

From what I hear, the most common point of failure on the P2V+ is the camera hitting the ribbon cable and damaging it. Implementing some sort of guard on this ribbon cable would be advisable.

DKDarkness said:
You could probably make one out of 2mm or 3mm plexiglas using a coping saw, put Phantom pilots are not the most DIY minded lot :)

Yep. I laser cut one out of 1/4" glow in the dark acrylic. Gonna attach it tomorrow.

I just recieved my extended legs...will put them on today and let you know... I know I launch from grass and many times, the grass would interfere with the gimbal prior to take off.... I know the legs will help with that...

I have the extended legs on my FC40, gives the gimbal loads of clearance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav