Prospective new owner with questions

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've never owned a drone before, but really gotten the drone bug lately and have been searching CL/ebay for a used P3A or P3P since I want a model with lightbridge. I've educated myself the best I can on what to look for when purchasing used drones. I know to check flight logs, battery logs, cracks around motors, etc.

I've found 2 drones locally that I think are good deals. But the thing is they both need a firmware update according to the owners.

The P3A won't fly because the firmware needs updating. He offered to meet with me and update together when he has the time to sit down and do it as I insisted on seeing him fly it before I would purchase it, but has had a hard time finding enough time.

The P3P will fly but according to the owner "it will fly but GPS needs to be updated so that it will come back to you. I will show you that it flies but I don't want to take it all the way up because I don't want to lose it since it's not updated" He's selling because he upgraded to a P4

My question is, are these legitimate situations, or are these guys just trying to pull a fast one on me and sell me a broken drone? I've exhausted google for the past few hours trying to find firmware updates to fix that specific GPS issue on the P3P but haven't found anything concrete. I have found some instances where drones won't fly once they've been out of date for so long.

Sounds a bit dodgy, the P3A should still fly with its current firmware, as the update is normally an option. Unless the drone is broken, insist on seeing it fly in its current state.
The P3P GPS offer sounds even more dodgy, unless it has been in a crash. GPS either works or it doesn't and sure there may be some tweaking with it as part of the bigger firmware update from time to time, it can easily be checked by him connecting everything up and seeing for yourself the satellite count. I'm wondering if you have a drone friend that could go with you to properly inspect these offers as the owners don't understand what they are selling or are trying to palm off their broken quads.

Reactions: O2ShootTheJ
Phantoms will usually still fly without an update, you just get a warning in the app when you start up. GPS never gets updated! If the GPS isn't working, then it ISNT WORKING! IMO, neither would be a purchase candidate.

Sounds a bit dodgy, the P3A should still fly with its current firmware, as the update is normally an option. Unless the drone is broken, insist on seeing it fly in its current state.
The P3P GPS offer sounds even more dodgy, unless it has been in a crash. GPS either works or it doesn't and sure there may be some tweaking with it as part of the bigger firmware update from time to time, it can easily be checked by him connecting everything up and seeing for yourself the satellite count. I'm wondering if you have a drone friend that could go with you to properly inspect these offers as the owners don't understand what they are selling or are trying to palm off their broken quads.

Unfortunately I don't have a drone friend to go with me. I've texted with the P3P ownder a little more since my post and asked for a screenshot of the flight log and firmware version he's running. He said he "never got into that stuff, he just flew the drone" He said he didn't log in to the app with his e-mail he just flew the drone. Can you do that or is he lying? Seems to be getting more sketchy the more I talk to him but I think he may just be an older guy who doesn't really understand a lot of it as well.

Motors won't even start untl you log in and register. Run, don't walk away from this guy!

Unfortunately I don't have a drone friend to go with me. I've texted with the P3P ownder a little more since my post and asked for a screenshot of the flight log and firmware version he's running. He said he "never got into that stuff, he just flew the drone" He said he didn't log in to the app with his e-mail he just flew the drone. Can you do that or is he lying? Seems to be getting more sketchy the more I talk to him but I think he may just be an older guy who doesn't really understand a lot of it as well.
I suspect that either he has no idea of what he is doing or lying through his teeth. He must have an active dji account to activate the drone in the first place so the email activation is a once off thing. Unfortunately without an experienced person to help you work through this, I would be bailing out of it. Is there a drone shop nearby where you could take the drone for a proper analysis? Or look for one for sale locally that is owned by an experienced pilot that is less likely to give you the around.

Check out some of the systems for sell here in the classified forum. Even a stranger here would be more trustworthy than the guy you are dealing with.

Check out some of the systems for sell here in the classified forum. Even a stranger here would be more trustworthy than the guy you are dealing with.
Good point, forgot about the classified forum. Rather deal with someone here rather than a prospective rat with a gold tooth.

His Phantom may have been activated by the store or whoever he bought it from.
Go and ask for him to give you a demo flight.
Firmware not up to date, simply brings up a message to advise that more recent firmware is available but doesn't affect the ability to fly.
Many fly with earlier versions without updating.
At the least, that will give you an idea what they do and how they operate.
If you are buying second hand, look for a very lightly used one that does everything it should.

Appreciate all the advice guys! I will go ahead and avoid both of these drones. the P3P was a too good to be true price so it's probably broken and he's probably lying.

I will definitely check out the classifieds here!

There are enough P3s and P4s out there for sale just from people upgrading theirs to P4Ps or Mavics that you can afford to be picky and insist on a good low-airtime known working unit, IMO.

Hey guys,

So I've never owned a drone before, but really gotten the drone bug lately and have been searching CL/ebay for a used P3A or P3P since I want a model with lightbridge. I've educated myself the best I can on what to look for when purchasing used drones. I know to check flight logs, battery logs, cracks around motors, etc.

I've found 2 drones locally that I think are good deals. But the thing is they both need a firmware update according to the owners.

The P3A won't fly because the firmware needs updating. He offered to meet with me and update together when he has the time to sit down and do it as I insisted on seeing him fly it before I would purchase it, but has had a hard time finding enough time.

The P3P will fly but according to the owner "it will fly but GPS needs to be updated so that it will come back to you. I will show you that it flies but I don't want to take it all the way up because I don't want to lose it since it's not updated" He's selling because he upgraded to a P4

My question is, are these legitimate situations, or are these guys just trying to pull a fast one on me and sell me a broken drone? I've exhausted google for the past few hours trying to find firmware updates to fix that specific GPS issue on the P3P but haven't found anything concrete. I have found some instances where drones won't fly once they've been out of date for so long.
I wouldnt do it. It takes a few minutes to download firmware. If i owned it i would want to get as much money as possible selling it, so it makes no sense to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl