Pros & Cons of PV2 w/ GoPro versus PV2+

Reaction score
I am going to purchase either a PV2 or PV2+. I am considering the differences between the two.

I am leaning towards buying a normal PV2 and then getting the H3-3d gimbal and a GoPro to go along with it. I want to do this because it would be nice to have the GoPro for other projects. A few questions if I get the PV2 and a GoPro:

• -Does this mean that I don't get the included FPV Smartphone ground station like the PV2+ has?
    -If so, what is the go-to FPV system for most PV2 users?
    -Does this mean that I can't use the GPS wayfinding features?
    -Is it practical to use any Phantom without FPV features?

Welcome. I see you say PV2 vs PV2+, but I think you mean Phantom 2 vs Phantom Vision 2+. The Phantom Vision 2 (PV2) is much like the PV2+ and already has an equipped camera and FPV system. If you want to be able to upgrade your setup at any time and/or use the camera for other things, go with the Phantom 2, Zenmuse H3-3D, and FPV setup of your choosing. If you want a cheaper alternative, more for a personal play thing instead of a production tool, go with the PV2+. To be concise and answer your questions:

-Does this mean that I don't get the included FPV Smartphone ground station like the PV2+ has?
Correct. No smartphone FPV.

-If so, what is the go-to FPV system for most PV2 users?
You will get a lot of different answers here, and you will see a few more common systems talked about all over the forums. Personally, I use the DJI AVL58 with a cheap monitor rigged to my controller (which is cumbersome), but if you want a monitor with built in FPV receiver, It seems as though the Lilliput 664/W monitor with a Boscam transmitter is the way to go. Also, you can't hardly beat the Lilliput 664/W monitor in terms of video quality and visibility.

-Does this mean that I can't use the GPS wayfinding features?

Correct, but you can get waypoints, guided flights, etc. if you get the DJI Groundstation setup.

-Is it practical to use any Phantom without FPV features?
Most definitely. Especially with the H3-3D. In real life scenarios, even with FPV, If you will be recording/flying with just a one person crew (yourself), you won't be looking at the FPV feed a lot of the time anyway.

Thanks a million for the response.

-Can I use my GoPro to beam down FPV video AND record video at the same time, or are 2 cameras always necessary?
-Are you controlling the GoPro remotely (tilt, pan, etc...) or are you simply maneuvering the Phantom to get the right shot?
-If you are controlling the GoPro remotely, what systems are standard?

Yes, the GoPro will record and send you video at the same time. It is a case of fitting the transmitter to the supplied wiring, which does need a little bit of soldering. It's only 3 wires and very easy to do though.

You control the camera's pan by moving the helicopter, but tilt is controlled by a small arm on the back of the controller. My video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=katMsHYya1s shows what is possible - after about an hours flying practice :)

You might also want to look at an mini iOSD module, which superimposes the flight information from the helicopter onto the video feed. This gives you battery and GPS status, as well as speed, height, distance from home etc. Really useful and worth the money.

The main issue with the Vision and Vision+ is that the control range is about half that of the Phantom2, as the radio control uses 5.8GHz, not 2.4GHz. On a warm, humid day, this can reduce control to less than 400m, less if flying with others who are using 5.8GHz for video downlinks. This is because the Vision and Vision+ use wifi for camera control and downlink, which sits on 2.4GHz, so they use the higher band for radio control, the direct opposite of the Phantom2!

I think for me, the range of the P2V+ wouldn't be the determining factor - the quality of the gopro 3 black+ footage is much superior to the P2V+. The P2V+ footage looks good...but it just has an aesthetic that doesn't please my eye. Crunchy, too sharp, contrasty e.t.c.

You can turn all that stuff off on the gopro with protune mode, and dial it back in to your liking in post.

If you're not bothered about that, and you want an out of the box solution that works for you with minimal fuss, P2V+ is probably the way to go.

The more I read, and hear from you all, the more I'm convinced that getting the Phantom 2 alone and adding in will the way to go for me.
The answers to your questions have been very helpful. Here's a couple more:

-What are the GPS capabilities (if any) of the Phantom 2?
-If no GPS capabilities like auto-come-home are available, does the iOSD take care of that?
-Why do people say the iOSD is so important? Seems to me that battery monitoring and location are 2 big ones. Any more?

I am considering getting:
-Phantom 2
-H3-3d Gimbal
-GoPro
-iOSD mini
-Immersion RC 600mw tx
-(still don't know about a good compatible receiver)

freedomflyer said:
The more I read, and hear from you all, the more I'm convinced that getting the Phantom 2 alone and adding in will the way to go for me.
The answers to your questions have been very helpful. Here's a couple more:

-What are the GPS capabilities (if any) of the Phantom 2?
-If no GPS capabilities like auto-come-home are available, does the iOSD take care of that?
-Why do people say the iOSD is so important? Seems to me that battery monitoring and location are 2 big ones. Any more?

I am considering getting:
-Phantom 2
-H3-3d Gimbal
-GoPro
-iOSD mini
-Immersion RC 600mw tx
-(still don't know about a good compatible receiver)

All Phantoms have the same GPS and failsafe capabilities, even without the iOSD attached.

The benefit of the iOSD is to see the telemetry (flight/aircraft data) in real time, since it's the easiest way to obtain all that. Battery level is definitely one of the most beneficial things it will show you, but height, distance, number of GPS satellites, and direction-to-home are also very useful. It will also show you the bank level of the Phantom which can be hard if not impossible to judge while looking at the screen when using a gimbal.

The list you have put together there is probably one of the most common setups used and many of us get great results with it. There is a great cable you can get that will connect all your FPV components on the Phantom with no soldering:
http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/p ... ransmitter
http://www.amazon.com/Plug-Play-Cable-I ... 00LDX65OS/

As for the receiver/monitor there's several options...lots of people here use the Black Pearl 7" monitor that has an integrated receiver and battery (just be sure to look at the 7-channel model, the 32-channel isn't as compatible with the Immersion Tx frequencies). I'm using a slightly bigger monitor with an Immersion Receiver and external battery, this kit includes those as well as the 600mW transmitter you're looking at: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=2066

With that cable you mentioned, I'm assuming we're talking the iOSD mini and NOT the MK II? Also, I read somewhere that I'll need a can bus to extend the number of ports if I'm using the gimbal AND the iOSD mini?

freedomflyer said:
With that cable you mentioned, I'm assuming we're talking the iOSD mini and NOT the MK II?

Correct, the one I linked is just for the iOSD mini, they have a different cable for connecting an iOSD mkII to an Immersion/FatShark Tx.

For the P2 you shouldn't need an extra canbus port if you're just adding the gimbal and iOSD mini. The gimbal doesn't need a canbus port and the iOSD mini can connect to the port on the leg. You can even add the groundstation (which also uses canbus) by just plugging it in to the spare port provided on the side of the iOSD mini.

Here's my set up using DJI's AVL58, iOSD mini and the "HUB"

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 459
  • photoa.JPG
    photoa.JPG
    599.6 KB · Views: 475
You will need to splice / solder 3 wires with that kit AFIK. If you get the Phantom from the same place, ask them to make the cable up for you. It's a 2 minute job.

Personally, I would go for Black Pearl monitor with built in receiver, as it is a very neat package, light enough to fix to your TX and has a twin diversity receiver, which reduces fade and dead spots and has its own internal battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik