Propulsion output is limited to ensure safety of battery warning

Reaction score
I had been flying my phantom 3 advanced from a fully charged battery took off as normal flew out to 1500m all good flew back to home position and landed,then took off again battery was at 40% at take off flew out to 130m and noticed phantom was just drifting on its own away from me(was in P-GPS mode) then got a warning (Propulsion output is limited to ensure safety of battery) panicked a little and hit RTH phantom turned to face home position and climbed to the 50m altitude i have set but just carried on drifting away,cancelled RTH and flew back manually and landed safely any ideas what happened would be much appreciated

I had been flying my phantom 3 advanced from a fully charged battery took off as normal flew out to 1500m all good flew back to home position and landed,then took off again battery was at 40% at take off flew out to 130m and noticed phantom was just drifting on its own away from me(was in P-GPS mode) then got a warning (Propulsion output is limited to ensure safety of battery) panicked a little and hit RTH phantom turned to face home position and climbed to the 50m altitude i have set but just carried on drifting away,cancelled RTH and flew back manually and landed safely any ideas what happened would be much appreciated

the firmware dropped battery output due to temps, and or battery levels.
I suspect that the wind speed was equal to or greater than your quad speed at reduced power.
thus it was not going as you wanted

FWI I would never take off at 40% and fly anywhere but immediate area---usually to run battery down
I don't trust the % calc in battery fw
I limit my flying by time in air vs. battery % to make sure I get home.
That works for me since I am not concerned about how far I can go. I am concerned only with can I bring it home....

why would the phantom just drift on its own was this due to the wind and the reduced prop rotation due to the battery warning and how come when i took over manually it just flew as normal

Wild guess, 1 It is attempting to use the minimum power, while giving you time to find a emergency landing spot. 2 the battery temps climbed JUST enough to allow more thrust by the time you took over. 3. The bird has different settings for RTH and manual - the power limits may be % reductions. If manual is faster then autopilot - a reduced autopilot may not have been enough for the wind, but a reduced manual was.

why would the phantom just drift on its own was this due to the wind and the reduced prop rotation due to the battery warning and how come when i took over manually it just flew as normal
During certain conditions battery is unable to deliver full current and its output is limited to protect battery and its sudden death (internal switch that disconnects battery).

In you case it was wind that was forcing battery to supply more current than it can deliver and a message was flashed. If this happens, P3 definitely can't fight against the wind and thus starts drifting. Good that it suddenly didn't die and drop out of the sky like a dead bird.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
guess i was lucky then all new to this and have to say it as knocked my confidence back a bit

I have seen this message you are referring to in DJI GO as well. I have only ever seen this in the last few months and I suspect it's due to flying at least in my case at 5 degrees fahrenheit.

Does anybody note this simptoms regarding battery cycles and life?
First time i got this message when it was arround 30cycles with 92% life. And it getting more often everyday. Now my battery has 55cycles and 86% life. I wonder that someday it will be rendered worse time after time, and won't fly anymore even it still can power up the phantom. But, has anyone experience this already??

Do a deep discharge on battery and then fully charge before flying.

Also how is you air temperature as the battery will limit output if its not warm enough.

Reactions: BigAl07
Do a deep discharge on battery and then fully charge before flying.

Also how is you air temperature as the battery will limit output if its not warm enough.
i life in equatorial country which temp range at 24°c night - 36°c day.
and offcourse i fly with fully charged battery. do complete discharge below 10% for every couple charges.

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

It seams it's just a wind. I have a same problem, but i have never recreated it at normal wind speeds.

Reactions: sinxa
I had this message once, I was running RTH tests and took off for the last one at about 40%

I brought the quad home straight away and nearly ran into some trees as the active breaking was at a reduced state, a bit like flying my old P2V

i life in equatorial country which temp range at 24°c night - 36°c day.
and offcourse i fly with fully charged battery. do complete discharge below 10% for every couple charges.

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app
You probalby have the opposite problem from ours here in the central US. At those high ambient temps, the internal battery temps will climb faster. Battery temps too high are just as bad (and some times worst) than too low. I doubt that any of us fly very often at the optimum temperature for our batteries. Good rule of thumb is that if you are uncomfortable, your battery probably is too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers