Props needed..

Reaction score
So I learned how big a difference props can be. I decided to buy a lot of propellers off ebay and they were junk. My life or vertical climb was a joke.

That being said .... does anyone have a good place to get official DJI propellers and at a fair price?

Any thoughts on the fancier carbon fiber props??

Thanks all !!

Shawn8202 said:
So I learned how big a difference props can be. I decided to buy a lot of propellers off ebay and they were junk. My life or vertical climb was a joke.

That being said .... does anyone have a good place to get official DJI propellers and at a fair price?

Thanks all !!

Hahaha funny, i bought many from ebay few days ago. They are not here yet any way.
Tell me, whats the biggest failure?
jello?

Thanx!

I purchased some expensive CF self tightening props built to DJI's exact specs. Not cheap. But after reading about CF props use on the Phantoms (reading on this message board), I'm hesitant to try using them.

Some blamed them for phantoms falling out of the sky, the Vortex something or other, others said very unstable flight. Just a few people very vocal against them. But like this firmware issue, people use them and have had no problems. A few people who use them without problems did speak up. I suppose at some point I'll try them.

JWarren said:
I purchased some expensive CF self tightening props built to DJI's exact specs. Not cheap. But after reading about CF props use on the Phantoms (reading on this message board), I'm hesitant to try using them.

There are a lot of so-called CF props out there on ebay which are giving them a bad name. Cheap Chinese rip-offs. They are usually nylon props coated in CF resin, not solid CF.
I choose to use ARRIS 9443 CF NON self-tightening props. Never had an issue with them, but they do need to be balanced before flight and you will need Loctite(blue) and prop nuts... They'll never fly off!
You need to check the balance of self-tightening props too, some are horribly out of balance!

Attachments

• 20140602_114110.jpg
    20140602_114110.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 825
Shawn8202 said:

Thanks all !!
Many of the problems associated with props are due to the props being unbalanced (one side heavier than the other).
There are a lot of cheap Chinese made props that claim to be CF but are only nylon props coated with CF resin.Some people prefer to stick with the plastic props. Personally, I use ARRIS 9443 non self-tightening CF props, you'll need loctite & prop nuts for these and they will need to be balanced before use. In my opinion, they provide more lift, better response and smoother hovering.
However, if you choose to use CF props at some point you must be aware that they are very sharp and can cause serious injury to yourself or other people if they come into contact while spinning! They are also very unforgiving should they strike a solid object like a wall or the ground as they are brittle & shatter like glass, whereas I have seen videos of Phantoms using plastic props recovering after impacting an object.
Hope this helps :)

happydays said:
No need to, the standard ones have worked on all three of my phantoms so far. If it ain't broke...

CBS
Ahh well there you go, hence the reason you don't get the fascination with CF props! ;)
The Plastic props do a fine job and are more forgiving then CF. One of the reasons I use CF is the heat. If the temp is above 30deg Celsius, the ends of the plastic props become very soft, almost rubbery and it becomes sluggish and loses lift.

happydays said:
Well, do explain....?

I have lots of experience with CF on road bikes. Especially when it breaks and shatters!

CBS

Not sure if my last post worked.... I'm not being funny, but here in Australia when the temperature exceeds 30-35deg C frequently, the plastic props become so soft and rubbery, the Phantom actually struggles to get airborne trying to lift 1.5kg with rubber-soft props!

Depending on what you plan to accomplish C/F props have their purpose. IE: C/F props are known to be agressive and great for flying fast and sharp - they're not known for durability in even the softest of crashes. P2 props are almost as agressive but a softer compound and are somewhat forgiving in crashes or brushes with tree branches and the ocassional rough landing. Both have the same tendancies - they both cut a large swath in the air also possibly causing VRS.

Now if you're after smooth control for photos or videos and your Phantom is not heavily loaded with accessories you might want to try a set of DJIs #26 props. They're basically the standard P1 prop but w/ left/right self threading. You'll find these are quieter and smoother for relatively slower manuevers. You're not going to get that little extra time that P2 or C/f props tend to give but you're videos will reflect the difference.

I'm in Ireland. We're lucky to get above 20 Deg!!!

Fair point though. I would have thought that the centrifugal force on the tips would force them outwards and stiffen them up? Maybe not - you're right I have no experience with them.

Just don't get the fascination with buying something that works so well out of the box and modding the life out of it. Just like a young lad who buys his first car, fits hard suspension, mods the engine, big wheels, bucket seats the whole works. (Been there, done that..) Only thing is, it's not that fast and seriously uncomfortable and mega expensive. Could have saved a whole lot by buying a better car in the first place. Does that make any sense?

:D :D :D

happydays said:

Fair point though. I would have thought that the centrifugal force on the tips would force them outwards and stiffen them up? Maybe not - you're right I have no experience with them.

Just don't get the fascination with buying something that works so well out of the box and modding the life out of it. Just like a young lad who buys his first car, fits hard suspension, mods the engine, big wheels, bucket seats the whole works. (Been there, done that..) Only thing is, it's not that fast and seriously uncomfortable and mega expensive. Could have saved a whole lot by buying a better car in the first place. Does that make any sense?

This!!!

The only exception I make is my fun car which I will never sell for sentimental reasons and therefore HAVE to make quicker to keep me interested.

happydays said:

I hear you my friend... I cringe when I think about how much money I threw away on cars and modifications... Scary.
The props are the only thing I've changed on my P2V+. It flies far enough & high enough for me as it is. I like to keep line of sight, always!

EMCSQUAR said:
Now if you're after smooth control for photos or videos and your Phantom is not heavily loaded with accessories you might want to try a set of DJIs #26 props. They're basically the standard P1 prop but w/ left/right self threading. You'll find these are quieter and smoother for relatively slower manuevers. You're not going to get that little extra time that P2 or C/f props tend to give but you're videos will reflect the difference.

Very interesting. I've not heard of the differences in the phantom props.
I'll have to try them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj