Props in Video

Gizmo3000 said:
Yes,. if the phantom is flying forward fast, you're going to see props. simple as that.
the only way to not see props is to tilt the camera down little bit, crop the video, shoot in medium resolution, add letterbox (black bars on top and bottom to mimic widescreen.
-Or, don't try to fly forward so fast!
What type of software are you using? Are you using Premier or After Effects? I was thinking there was a way to mask or use the clone tool in After Effects to remove the prop in the top of the footage.

mikemitch1967

Previous

mikemitch1967 said:
Yes,. if the phantom is flying forward fast, you're going to see props. simple as that.
the only way to not see props is to tilt the camera down little bit, crop the video, shoot in medium resolution, add letterbox (black bars on top and bottom to mimic widescreen.
-Or, don't try to fly forward so fast!"
One trick I've used successfully is to plan the shot so the Phantom is filming when it is flying backwards, then reverse the track so it appears to be going forwards.

I use Premier for this and flipping a clip into reverse is easy as pumpkin pie.

Works like a charm, and you can go as fast as you want without props.

mikemitch1967 said:
What type of software are you using? Are you using Premier or After Effects? I was thinking there was a way to mask or use the clone tool in After Effects to remove the prop in the top of the footage.
That would work fine in After Effects as long as you had a pretty simple sky. Even if not, people probably won't notice, as they don't even suspect moving masks.

I've just put the gimbale H3-3D and a GoPro + FPV. I have the same problem with the props. And if tilt down I can see the left landing gear (longer ones + extra extension to hold the transmitter. I was thinking about an extra carbon plate to extend the gimbal forward out so bye bye props and landing gear. And to balance with the TK102, the Boscam TS353 and its battery together in the back opposite the GoPro. Anyone knows about that setup? Photos?

There is a good solution to remove props from view in video without the need to alter your phantom. A guy on ebay is selling a go pro lens protector with a small hood that extends out the top of the lens protector. This hood blocks the props from being viewed in your image when shooting in med to narrow lens angle. Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-Prote...869?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3390221d15. You can also add a nd filter into the lens protector which will help reduce jello effect in your video.

Thx Dano. This is more for the sun than anything. I will see the hood instead of the props. I want to film in 1080 30p wide without medium or narrow. Otherwise, I already have the protective lens, a must against scratches. DJI, Bestbuy and BH Photo Video sell it at about $17.00 for 2. I bought a plastic sun hood today on eBay ($6) but it fits the go pro without the protective lens so I'd have to do a mod. I made an offer on "yours". Simpler. I wish it was polarized...
Anyone for a mod to put the gimbal out a few inches?

Do not put your gimbal out a few inches I tried this and it was an immediate crash. The go pro was just in front of the front legs on the gimbal with the front gimbal bracket hanging off the front of the phantom. Mounting the gimbal further forward threw the phantom off balance causing it to crash nose first upon take off.

dano7602 said:
Do not put your gimbal out a few inches I tried this and it was an immediate crash. The go pro was just in front of the front legs on the gimbal with the front gimbal bracket hanging off the front of the phantom. Mounting the gimbal further forward threw the phantom off balance causing it to crash nose first upon take off.

Well, what about if I balance the Phantom by putting on the other side the transmitter TS353 + its lipo battery + the TK102. That should work.

JPSLV said:
dano7602 said:

Well, what about if I balance the Phantom by putting on the other side the transmitter TS353 + its lipo battery + the TK102. That should work.
It might. I would make sure you check your balance carefully before you fly.

Yes make sure your phantom is properly balanced I made that mistake. If the gimbal is too far forward it will throw it off balance and crash. I am not sure if adding counter weight to the back will work but its worth a shot. Just be careful on your first flight attempt.

I asked DJI and I got this quickly. I don't understand
what he means with the bottle cap but...

"Howard Zheng (DJI)
Jun 19 11:49

Hi,

We haven`t test to extend the gimbal with any plate. You can have a try and it would not lead to a crash if you watch out the overload issue.
I have met another customer who test to elevate with a bottle cap but fail with some jello issue.
I will forward this issue/requirment to R&D.

Thanks&Best regards,

DJI Tech-support"

lgeist said:
I've discovered through trial and error that flying backwards works great (preferably in CL or HL) for getting the props out of the frame, since the quad is always leaning into the direction of flight. I can then always reverse the video clip if I want it to look like forward motion.

Is there a specific software program you are using to reverse the video?

mikemitch1967 said:
lgeist said:
I've discovered through trial and error that flying backwards works great (preferably in CL or HL) for getting the props out of the frame, since the quad is always leaning into the direction of flight. I can then always reverse the video clip if I want it to look like forward motion.

Is there a specific software program you are using to reverse the video?
I use Adobe Premier. It works great. It is more expensive than most programs for editing video, though. I'm sure there are many that would work for that- I just couldn't tell you which ones.

Hello all,

I am new to flying Quad Copters as well, but have a strong photography and video editing background. Do you think it would work to extend the Zenmuse HD-3D gimbal a few inches lower to get the legs out of the shot? I know it could not land on its feet anymore but could it be caught by hand or landed really smooth? (all this for more usable footage...)

Otherwise the idea of shooting backwards and reversing footage seems great and easy to do, although not as intuitive or spontaneous.

attaboy said:
Hello all,

I am new to flying Quad Copters as well, but have a strong photography and video editing background. Do you think it would work to extend the Zenmuse HD-3D gimbal a few inches lower to get the legs out of the shot? I know it could not land on its feet anymore but could it be caught by hand or landed really smooth? (all this for more usable footage...)

Otherwise the idea of shooting backwards and reversing footage seems great and easy to do, although not as intuitive or spontaneous.

That would put your gimbal and camera too much at risk.I would not do that, having had hard landings. There are wider leg options, available, and different GoPro settings (as suggested on the previous post) may also work.

I agree with Hillary - shoot in 2.7K 30P then crop out the props. If you are delivering 1080-30P you can crop a lot before you start compromising the final resolution.
Also, fly backwards, then the props will be well out of the way.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj