Props in shot

Reaction score
Hi
This is my first post. Excuse me if this has already been discussed.

I would like to be able to film in 1080 with my gimbal with no angle, straight ahead.

I understand you can fly backward, go forward slower, film in 4K etc then crop, however what I'm looking for is some sort of extender that goes in between the phantom fuselage and the gimbal, this would take the camera away from the props being in shot.

Does anyone know where I could buy one of these?

Most of the time I'm launching and bringing the copter down by hand so don't need to be able to land on the undercarriage.

I don't want to mount the camera further back, just need some sort of "extender step".

I'm using the GoPro 3 Black.

Cheers and hello.

Which gimbal are you using?

I've never seen an extender mount for a gimbal like you describe, it seems most people are trying to get theirs higher (closer to the body) rather than lower. You might just need to get a gimbal that naturally hangs lower...I use an Arris CM2000, and when I shoot in 1080 w/the gopro I never see the props or arms when the camera is pointing straight ahead.

Moving the gimbal too far has issues with throwing off the CoG unless you go down and that will have issues of its own. I find it best to shoot medium FOV 1080 60 if I am flying aggressively. Props only show in strong head winds. If I am flying for smoothness, I'll use 2.7 30, zoom, smooth and crop accordingly.

Hi,
The Arris looks like a nice piece of kit, but it doesn't look like it hangs lower, I have a cheap Chinese one which is doing a great job (Its an intermediate one as I'm shortly fitting a larger gimbal to my Xaircraft).

I don wonder what Im doing wrong.

Do you have yours at any sort of angle, or are you doing something different (I see going slower lowers the chances as its not leaning forward so much)

Cheers

ianwood said:
Moving the gimbal too far has issues with throwing off the CoG unless you go down and that will have issues of its own. I find it best to shoot medium FOV 1080 60 if I am flying aggressively. Props only show in strong head winds. If I am flying for smoothness, I'll use 2.7 30, zoom, smooth and crop accordingly.

Thank you, the medium FOV may be the answer here. Will try tomorrow.

I thought you might have been using the Zenmuse, which seems to sit the camera higher in relation to the body than others.

Your best bets then are definitely to just shoot in med like Ian mentioned (which narrows the frame a bit at the top as well as the sides) and do your best to not pitch the Phantom too far forward while shooting.

Is it absolutely critical that your camera is level with your subject for what you're planning to shoot? I find it's fairly rare that I don't pitch the camera down at least a little when taking shots from the air.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers