Props icing up!

Reaction score
I've been photographing some ornamental gardens this morning, we have unusual weather (foggy and -6c) and they wanted some Winter shots for their website.

I managed to get some useful shots but on every flight I got a battery warning (Current Discharge Warning) a few minutes into the flight, I assumed it was the cold creating problems for the batteries but on inspection there was a solid block of ice along the leading edge of all props, a larger lump on each tip and some under each blade. All flights were sub 200 feet.

PV2+ stayed fully controllable on all three flights (different batteries) and maintained the link, so not scary.

Is there a way to prevent prop icing? For now I'll drop back to a pole camera :)

If you spray the props with the silicone shoe spray they will be more resistant to icing, just make sure you spray a light even coat and then let it dry all the way. This is what I have used and it works great, just make sure you don't do a heavy coat because you don't want any drips.

Attachments

• kiwi-campdry-water-repel.jpg
    kiwi-campdry-water-repel.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 623
Propeller Icing,

Changes the shape of the blades. Harms lift/thrust
Adds parasitic drag. Requires additional power, decreases range, decreases endurance.
Ice can knock a drone out of the sky.

Two basic types of icing,
Clear ice - strataform clouds - flat stable clouds. Clear 'ice cube' appearance.
Rime - cumulonimbus - round puffy clouds. White raggedy ice.

Ice can look harmless, but can be deadly at the same time.
Ice can sling off one blade and not the other resulting in unbalance, vibration.
Ice can form in temperatures above freezing because prop lift results in lower pressure and therefore lower temperature.
Ice can form from moisture invisible to the eye. Check humidity.

Ice is a serious condition.

Reactions: pvs and SirAchie
Propeller Icing,

Changes the shape of the blades. Harms lift/thrust
Adds parasitic drag. Requires additional power, decreases range, decreases endurance.
Ice can knock a drone out of the sky.

Two basic types of icing,
Clear ice - strataform clouds - flat stable clouds. Clear 'ice cube' appearance.
Rime - cumulonimbus - round puffy clouds. White raggedy ice.

Ice can look harmless, but can be deadly at the same time.
Ice can sling off one blade and not the other resulting in unbalance, vibration.
Ice can form in temperatures above freezing because prop lift results in lower pressure and therefore lower temperature.
Ice can form from moisture invisible to the eye. Check humidity.

Ice is a serious condition.

Spray silicone can help, but not prevent all icing. Duration of coating is limited.

Silicone boot spray is good for repelling water - hence if you can repel the water droplets from settling then freezing - may work fine.

I have had good luck using WD40 as an ice repellent on different surfaces and locks - haven't tried it on a prop however. Might be worth a try.

Freezing fog is brutal for icing up. Good luck.

I am a retired pilot from the original Piedmont Airlines. I was flying the aircraft that took off right in front of Air Florida. The weather was nasty, with snow and icing.
I was flying a YS11 turboprop at the time. We had the propeller anti ice on throughout the entire flight.
We had trouble raising departure control after takeoff. They were no doubt busy.
We never knew there was a crash until we landed.
I'll never forget that day.
Here's the point.
If you see the speed dropping on your drone in potential icing conditions, and it's not a wind change, or if it seems to have less power, get it on the ground now. Consider an alternate landing site rather than home.
Props ice up before any other surface due to lower pressure/ temperature from the generation of lift.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31